new truck

Gregz

Observer
Im havin to get rid of the 87 Ramcharger, I hate to, but its a pig on gas. A collector is trading me for a 96 F150 4x4 , with the 300 6 and a 5 spd. anyone have any experience with these rigs? Ihe had a cpl old F100s with the 300 and its a awesome motor, Im just wonderin if its gonna be anywhere near as of road capable as my Ram

bftank

Explorer
excellant combo from what i have experienced. what are you trying to do with it that you are worried about?

Gregz

Observer
It will have to be my dd, but Id like to be able to crawl around off road , my RC is a beast off road, and in its element. It goes anywhere I point the wheel, and snow? no problem, air down a little and go slow, the old gurl is awesome. I was wonderin if anyone else had a rig like the F150 and how well theirs does off road. Mt RC is mostly stock, with 33s onnit, and Id like to keep the ford the same way. only change I may make is a rear locker

bftank

Explorer
the f150 will do all that an then some. 255/85 or 34x9.50 swampers would be great, with small lift. perfect for do anything rig

D

Deleted member 9101

I had a 300 I6 for many years and loved it. I added a Y pipe to get rid of the cats and a 3" single exhaust from Summit Racing.

I too drove a Ford 300 / 6 for many years. Great engine. Not a ton of horsepower, but very respectable torque. Mine had a granny box 4 speed and a detroit locker. I never stopped being amazed where that old truck would go!
Good luck!

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I don't imagine the F150 with a 300 I6 to be really much better in fuel mileage. I'd stick with what you have. Maybe even put a fresh engine in if the truck is still good looking.

D

Deleted member 9101

I don't imagine the F150 with a 300 I6 to be really much better in fuel mileage. I'd stick with what you have. Maybe even put a fresh engine in if the truck is still good looking.

I had a 91 Regular cab short bed with the I6 and 5 speed and got about 22 doing 70 with the tail gate down. Once they swapped to fuel injection the fuel economy went up for the I6.

bftank

Explorer
As an alternative to swapping for the f150 you could swap a gm tbi on your 318. 318s can be built for power and mileage but it involves work to get it to that point that you might not have to do if you swapped for the f150.

Gregz

Observer
My RC has a 360 with a 4 spd. I just rebuilt the quadrajet and gave her a good tune up. now Im gettin about 9mpg

bftank

Explorer
sorry for some reason i assumed you were running the 318. shouldn't post in threads right before bed.

honestly i would go for the fuel injected f150. it will definitely get better mpg than 9. and be just as capable as the ramcharger. more useful etc. etc.

S

Squatchout

9mpg? My '80 Powerwagon with 1 ton drivetrain, 4 spd, 35's and a 383 BB gets 13-14 unless I'm standing on the go pedal hard.

I've got a friend who is still driving his '88 f150 300I6 and 5spd. 2wd. He gets a pretty consistant 25 on the hwy and about 18 in town on stock tires. He's got close to 400k on it.

bfdiesel

Explorer
The 300 will likely feel like it has more torque on the low end. I had a 2wd 94 for a bit that I liked alot. I also had a 65 f100 with a 240 the 300's little brother that had good torque and good mileage for a 30 year old motor( 20 mpg @ 50 mph or 14-15 @ any other speed ).

78Bronco

Explorer
Really?!

First of all he is dropping engines sizes 60 cubic inches. Second switching to an EFI motor. Third, the truck has overdrive 5 speed. He will consume half as much fuel.
:chef:

SMRT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat