new with a PAIR of P38's

PKG P38

Observer
hello everybody! stumbled across this site last night looking for a more active LR forum since the other two i've found have either been desperately slow or just full of rude people with nothing intelligent to say, so here i am!

i'm from iowa and along with my best friend we have an ever growing fleet of cars and recently we caught the land rover bug. and it has gotten the best of both of us. my buddy picked up a very rare '97 AA yellow vitesse for a grand from an old farmer that thought the transmission was bad. --- it wasn't, it just needed a fly wheel. $300 in parts and its back on the road!

i did a facelift to it with some fresh paint on the bumper up front, grilles, suede headliner and a few other odds and ends. it has also had a coil conversion which is a huge plus and overall drives very well.

i loved his P38 so much i just HAD to have my own. last week i stumbled upon another '97, two owner vehicle and spotless. super clean exterior and interior (spare for a sagging headliner). previous owner said he couldn't get it to start, suspected the fuel pump to be shot -- after dumping well over a grand into it for a new headgasket and a bunch of other maintenance, he had enough and just wanted to dump it after only owning it for barely two months.

....it was just out of gas. no joke --

that said it needs a few other things, heater core o rings, PCV system and the cooling system could use some attention. he ran the thing so dry out of fuel i do suspect he may have damaged the fuel pump as a result, or at the least clogged the fuel filters since now i'm having a hard/intermittent no start. that said it does run very smooth and it too has had a full coil conversion from atlantic british. very anxious to get this one up to daily driver status since its just stunning to look at in person -- its a real pristine example of a P38.

anywho, on to a few pix of the P38's:

day one:
IMG_20101120_131339.jpg

broken parts:
DSC_0386.jpg

facelift!
DSC_0405.jpg

DSC_0478.jpg

DSC_0457.jpg

DSC_0453.jpg

and my new 4.0 SE model, only a few pix currently

first, getting it home:
IMG_20110201_223845.jpg

DSC_0506.jpg

DSC_0509.jpg

DSC_0510.jpg

Last edited:

Storz

Explorer
Nice looking Rovers! Welcome to Expo. Did you do the headliner in the yellow one yourself? That looks great

Wander

Expedition Leader
+2 on the suede headliner-very nicely done. Your green/tan sure is clean-always a good start.

Ronct110

Adventurer
Very nice!

Also keep in mind P38 likes a great working battery (well, most trucks do, but especially P38s, LR3s... all those electronic gadgetries :)). Similar to my 04 DII, electrical gremlins starts to show up with a weak battery.

Enjoy!

PKG P38

Observer
Blasted Iowegians pop up everywhere these days ;)

Welcome,

KAA

Yes we do! Where are u located at?

Nice looking Rovers! Welcome to Expo. Did you do the headliner in the yellow one yourself? That looks great

Yup, did it myself. Its my first time attemptting such a project. Took some paitence but overall was pretty straight forward. Looks great in person, only a couple small areas that I could have done better but they're only notible to me so I guess that's a ggood thing!

+2 on the suede headliner-very nicely done. Your green/tan sure is clean-always a good start.

Yeah the green 4.0 is really stunning, esp in the sun. Can't wait to get it running and better photos.

the yellow rover is absolutely the fantastic.

welcome

Isn't it? I love the color..looks like a hard boiled sweet when its clean, and it turns a lot of heads....also has received multiple offers to buy it, but its not going anywhere. I really love its yellow piped seats, I think they look ffantastic...combined with its new suede headliner its really stunning inside and out.

PKG P38

Observer
I'm here in WDM....CW 4dr MkV GTi too.

Different user name on Projeckt

You know...Disco / D90 / Series / lack of good sense...

Still Keith though ;)

nice! you don't perhaps have a grey one with a europlate on it do ya? i've seen a few running around town that i haven't been able to flag down yet.

i'm also the president of Projekt German (PKG) thats local here in DM but we're huge statewide, you should check out our boards as well for more local euro/brit guys. www.projektgerman.com :)

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
OOOOH I like the interior of that Yellow one. It just seems very.... Cozy with all the Dark Leather and the yellow piping. I like the exterior of your more though. Congrats on the new rig, and WELCOME. This is the best 4wd Forum in N.America IMO. I think you've gonna like it here.

Cheers

DAve

PKG P38

Observer
tested the fuel pressure on my 4.0 today only to find about 20-22 psi. after running so well after i put gas it in after i picked it up for not starting, i'm going to first suspect that the fuel filters are now clogged after running so dry.

also picked up new plugs to go all the way around, PVC system hoses, thermostat and fuel injector cleaner. hopefully these small improvements should get this thing running without choking to death.

after bypassing the heater core and refilling the system, i couldn't get the thermostat to open even after idling for 10 minutes and the engine was starting to overheat so i had to shut it down, so i figured i'd get that part as a backup.

now if the temperature would get above -10 i'll be in business. good thing its suppose to be warm the next few days!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven