New XJ good news and bad news

Well, my XJ got stolen:Wow1:by my daughter, and she will not give it back!!!!!!!! that's the bad news! The good news is my wife says I can buy another one:wings::wings::wings: This time I can look around and pick and choose, so my question is what year, I have read about good and bad heads, different stock axles etc,etc, untill the world looks flat. I am going set this one up just like my old one, 3" lift and 31.5s, there are NO rocks in the Houston area but there is beach so I will air down for floatation, I will be towing a light fishing trailer for my kayak and camping gear so there is that to consider. What is the consensus?

Bob

gavan

Observer
Depends on what you want. I would get a good condition 91-95 because I like the old style interior and gauge panel and I like working on the older OBD-1 motor, much simpler than the newer OBD-II.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The 99 had the improved intake manifold that gave a slight bump in power while retaining the hp30, plus most older units are going to be rusted or beat to crap. I see you are in NM, so it is a bit easier to find less rust on a lot of cars in the area.

gavan

Observer
My 95 OBD1 motor has the 99+ manifold, easy swap. Any vehicle 10+ years old has the potential to be rusted or beat up. All cherokees had HPD30s up to 1999, they switched to the non-CAD axle some time in 92-93. Even if you got a early 91 or 92, getting around the CAD is as easy as 1 axle shaft and a blockoff plate. The OBDI computer has about half the sensors as the OBDII, is easier to trick to give you more power, is a more robust design with a potted mainboard, and simpler to work on in general.

The OBDI/II really isnt a big deal, I would get whatever 4.0 HO I could get in good shape from 91-99.

bldeagle10

Explorer
99 seems to be the best year.

x3 for the 99.

mine is a 99, they had the crummy 0331 head in the 00-01's i believe so you are safe with a 99, the 99 still has a distributor (00-01 has coil packs) which I prefer over coil packs any day, mine has the C8.25 29 spline rear end which is a great rear end especially for what you want, it has the High Pinion Dana 30, 27 spline, adequate front axle for what you want it is perfect. the interior is very nice IMO, mine is nice at least... the aesthetics are great (i.e. updated front end, interior etc) the motor really isnt a trouble... mine has 330,000 miles, original drive train, most of the sensors are the originals from 99...actually, a lot is original from 99 which is saying a lot, holding up this many miles for 12 years is friggen amazing. And really, it's a Jeep, it is damn easy to work on....

Id go 99, if you want what is arguably a "nicer" XJ
DSCN1499.jpg

gm4x4lover

Observer
I would have to say 1996 is the best year. 96 has the best head, is obd2 (it is better for some people), and i like the older grill design better. I dont think though that you can go wrong with any of them after 1991.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
95/96 and 99 seems to be the general consensus then! I've had a 95 and currently have a 99 and if I could take both jeeps and put them together into one I would.

Heartless

1999 Is what i got. I would say there is not much difference in 97-01 models. Just get the newest one, with lowest miles you can afford. Dont get power windows, Classic was the top in those years i think. I think it was full load though. I would go newer if i had the option, just because it has less miles. I also own a 96, they have that rugged feel, but the interior seems funny, dont ask me why... Seems like you have vents in weird spots, and it dosent seem as well thought out. I do like the glove compartment setup. I also like the Transfer cases, and axles, but it is hard to get all the best stuff in one year, thats why we build em. Grab a new XJ, slap an ARB on it, lift it 4 or 6", get some new shoes, get a tire carrier, rack, and a winch. If your eager, get the long arm rockin, some skids, couple of big ol D44's all locked out, and you shold be able to go pan america baby!! haha. Get erics book High performance Cherokee Builders guide. It has all the answers, and its cheap. Good Luck!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk