Newbie. Hi All!

seby86

wow. its already been almost 2 years since i joined this site with the intention of getting into this scene. well it took me almost 2 year, but I am a MAN of MY WORD!. After much time, deliberation, financial issues, personal issues, challenges selling my car and challenges finding the right vehicle that stretched on for a period of much time, i finally found my rig.

I found her by chance sitting in a target parking lot in Humble TX with some for sale signs slapped on her. My girlfriend is a huge target fan so we frequented this particular store for the last couple of years and I have always seen it parked there, it just wasnt for sale. It belonged to one of the HR people that worked there. Everytime we would leave the store, I would eye this rig with envy, wondering if the owner (whoever they may be) would ever sale it. This went on for over a year before one day, as we were walking out of the target after buying a bottle of wine, I caught a dash of orange in the corner of my eye. Sure enough there were for sale signs on the vehicle. Long story short, I was able to get the vehicle for 4800. I almost lost this vehicle to a trade in but I convinced my father to let me borrow the money before the seller commited such a crime. The next day i sold my car for payoff balance and Now im the happy owner of this beauty. Sorry its not looking very clean today, I dirtied it yesterday while putting it through a couple of light preliminary trials which of course it passed without even the slightest of effort. A couple of problems i found that it has is 2 rust spots. One under the weather stripping of the back hatch glass and one under the leading edge of the drivers side passenger door. Another problem it has is the gas cap hinges rusted off and broke so the gas door is currently sitting inside of my car for the time being until i figure out how to reattach it. besides that, the vehicle is in really solid shape inside and out and only has 160k miles. Thats not alot of miles for this rig is it? Anyway I'll stop my babbling and show you the photos on the next post.

seby86

Pics

Well, here she is. A 93 80 Series. 160k miles on the clock. She is pretty basic. No power seats, heated seats, auto climate or anything of that nature. Only option she seems to have is leather seats. I understand sunroofs are standard on FZJ80's. what else... Oh unfortunately there are not front and rear lockers, but those will come eventually along with a few other mods I have planned.:sombrero:

l_287cd11f664e472fa763cb28def162d7.jpg

l_e7c05aeae81643ab9fcdebc70610c3f9.jpg

l_c1c2044c3ed9464f86951e6323e34214.jpg

l_fa20fef364fa47beb70d13430e22d5d5.jpg

l_8dfaf4971660407398fa83e1c69ca68a.jpg

Wish i would of taken pics of her yesterday. She was nice and clean. But I couldnt control myself and I ended up getting it dirty within 4 hours. :)

ozarkroozer

Observer
looking good, congrats. Start saving your money, the addiction everyone speaks of is true. Make sure to baseline all the fluids and such. Also might want to at some point think about getting rid of the factory rack, they are rust magnets, poor decision on Toyota's part.

seby86

thank you everyone. well, i have a list of things i need to take a couple days to complete.

1. remove the rear window plastic rain guard thingies, the front ones seem to have already been pulled off. Front bug guard is ok for now, im not so offended by it.

2. I've already killed the rust, so i need to sand, fill and paint those spots.

3. I need to paint the trailer hitch with black industrial paint.

4. I need to steam clean the interior. Steam is the BEST way to do this as long as ure cautious and smart about it.

5. I need to remove the peeling and fading window tint. Steamer is also best.

6. I need to figure out why the front axles are making clicking noises when the wheel is turned full left or full right. I'm sure some of you may be able to address this.

7. I need to figure out why it idles a bit rough at 400rpm. Do this rigs need premium gas?? I hope not.

And that outta do it for the time being. Any input, tips, or tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!:sombrero:

seby86

oh, and as far as mods planned. I want to start out with a nice set of BFGoodrich AT's and a bit of a lift, an OME kit should do the trick, not sure as to exactly which one would be best. Not looking for anything crazy at the moment. Although I must admit an ARB whinch bar is :drool: inducing. I'll have to save up for a while on that one.

docroh

Observer
Welcome. Actually, I just got back on tonight after registering over 2 years ago! I too am finally getting around to my 97FZJ80 build. Cristo is going to get lots of my money!

fowldarr

Explorer
Sounds like some big plans. The clicking is probably your birfield joints. They are rebuildable in your driveway with a kit from just about anywhere (recommend CDan, or Kurt from Cruiser Outfitters, the continually get rave reviews from their customers), but be prepared for a mess. I did them on my 96 when I still had her. Not a hard job, just a messy one.

seby86

thanks for all the input! well that takes care of those issues. i'll be sure to look up those kits. also i need to figure out why its leaking a slight amount of power steering fluid. have you guys ever encountered any type of powersteering leaks or powersteering issues on these rigs before? i tried to inspect all of the lines that i can see, but the lines are pretty dirty and it is quite difficult to detect a leak. could it be a coupling? idk. i'll have to take a closer look.

fowldarr

Explorer
I never had an issue with PS on an FJ80, FJ60's on the other hand are notorious for very expensive leaking PS pump that is not really rebuildable (though some do try)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven