Newbie, looking for purchasing advice on Montero Gen 2/2.5

Brokeback

Paging Off-roader to the white courtesy phone!!

I've done a bunch of reading of archives and current threads, and decided I'd like a Montero. I'll be using it for some expedition-like 4x4 trips, and for towing a small trailer with quads (less than 2k lbs loaded) to the dunes 5-6 times a year.

Since I plan on doing a decent amount of off-road stuff, I decided on one with a locker. I haven't found much in the past week or so, but this popped up yesterday:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/3884904203.html

I know these engines are supposed to be pretty robust, and I might go look at it just to get familiar with what "good" condition vs "bad" looks like, but any advice on the high mileage?

Appreciate any advice, I'm tired of going "4" wheeling with my 2wd ranger!!

Brokeback

Looks like my truck but stock, at that price i wouldn't worry about the engine too much. you can update it's services and be good to go for the next 100k, Having said that Arizona has it's own local Montero forum.

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=azcrawlercrew

Just sayin'

Roger that, I'm pending admin approval over on 4x4wire, and its a slow day at work so i posted here too haha. Good to know that high mileage is not the worst thing ever, and I'm ok with doing a timing belt job and fluid changes to make it reliable. I guess a leakdown test would give me a good idea of engine condition, if they don't have service records?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Paging Off-roader to the white courtesy phone!!

I've done a bunch of reading of archives and current threads, and decided I'd like a Montero. I'll be using it for some expedition-like 4x4 trips, and for towing a small trailer with quads (less than 2k lbs loaded) to the dunes 5-6 times a year.

Since I plan on doing a decent amount of off-road stuff, I decided on one with a locker. I haven't found much in the past week or so, but this popped up yesterday:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/3884904203.html

I know these engines are supposed to be pretty robust, and I might go look at it just to get familiar with what "good" condition vs "bad" looks like, but any advice on the high mileage?

Appreciate any advice, I'm tired of going "4" wheeling with my 2wd ranger!!

Sounds like a good deal to me... Check for regular maintenance receipts and if without then ask for a grand off cause it will cost at least that much to have them all done (plugs, timing belt, tensioners, etc.)...

Ensure 4wd engages and disengages without issues... Same with it's locker...

Brokeback

Did you get approved yet? I can check with the Admin in case you didn't.

Thanks, they finally approved me last night after I signed up again, it expired after 24 hours so I had to do it again.

I didn't end up buying that one, instead I bought scottie123's 97, off of 4x4wire. Lots of maintenance records though the valve guide seals do leak a bit and the front axle has an unlocking issue where the green lights on the dash blink all the time. I'm still happy with it so far!!

Seems like everyone liked that blue one...maybe I should have bought it too! :p

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Thanks, they finally approved me last night after I signed up again, it expired after 24 hours so I had to do it again.

I didn't end up buying that one, instead I bought scottie123's 97, off of 4x4wire. Lots of maintenance records though the valve guide seals do leak a bit and the front axle has an unlocking issue where the green lights on the dash blink all the time. I'm still happy with it so far!!

Seems like everyone liked that blue one...maybe I should have bought it too! :p

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Scotties is a better rig than that blue one IMHO. Already built and ready to rock! Who are you on the 'wire? I'm the mod on the Mitsu tech section. same alias.

Brokeback

Scotties is a better rig than that blue one IMHO. Already built and ready to rock! Who are you on the 'wire? I'm the mod on the Mitsu tech section. same alias.

Same username, I'll go introduce myself over there. These two forums should be a good start for someone who has never really done any off roading in a 4wd rig!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333