newbie question

ollip

hi all,
im about to purchase my first GEN3 montero and i test drove one the other day (2005)and had a few questions to all you owning a GEN3 already,
1. what is your MPG after the lift and tires ?
2. is there a way to give some more life into that engine, it seemed very sluggish in throttle responce, is there an intake or ECU upgrade that can be done?
3. which model/year came with the optional rear factory locker ?

thank you all for your responces,

oliver,
san jose ,ca

ahmetclayton

Hi Ollip,
Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I do not have the answer to your first question because I have not yet purchased the lift. For better throttle responce I went for the Air Intake Kit by HKS. I haven't noticed too much of hp gain, but the throttle responce it definiately better. Also the engine gets a nice sound in high rpm. And for your 3rd question. All Montero Limited's 2003-2006 have traction control standard but I'm not sure if its standard on xls trim. Hope this info helps.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
After I put on the lift and tires (265/75/r16 or about 32") I was getting on average just over 16 MPG. Since the addition of the ARB bumper I have dropped to just under 15 MPG.

I have not looked into the throttle responce situation as it does not really bother me. It is not the fastest truck off the line, but if prompted it will get out of its own way. Clay is right, none of the GEN III's came with a rear locker. The Limited and some XLS models came with a very good LSD that will give you full lock up in the rear if used properly. It works great in mine.

Monterorider

Adventurer
You can swap in diffs/gears from 01-02 XLS 4.9 as opposed to 4.3 on Limited. Will fill somewhat less sluggish off the line, better offroad etc. My 02 XLS averaged about 15-16 mpg on 285/75R16 TrXus MTs if I remember right. 01-02 Limited had Hybrid LSD stock and some of XLSs as well. Harder to find though. You can always add ARBs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk