Next build-up

k5-cj5

I put this in fullsize forum also but.....Ok so I have been into building crawlers etc for awhile and have decided to build and expedition rig. Dont really want to buy a truck just for the build and have a couple options. I do not need it to fit tight trails etc, as I have a 70 FJ40 for that. I have two vehicles to choose from, a 1999 K3500 crewcab, 7,4 at. stock aside from injector upgrades. I also have my DD 2007 Tundra crewmax that could work. I used to use the 99 for tow duties etc, but lately I find the Tundra pulls better, is more comfortable etc. What are your thoughts, build the 99 into a dedicated rig, or build the tundra into an DD/expo Rig. Both truck are reliable and have less than 100k on them. I will, in many cases, tow my FJ40 behind them for the tighter hard core trails. There is 5 in our family plus the dog, so the fullsize trucks have the needed space, and we often take 5 kayaks with us.

Thanks

mtnkid85

Adventurer
Do some searches in this forum there are several nice 2nd gen Tundra builds in here. That will at least give you some ideas and see what others are doing.
How much of a build are we talking here?

The Tundra with a coilover/aarm lift and springs in the rear, should have plenty of room for 35s. Add gears and ARBs next and you'd be set. Also there are plenty of options for armor on these trucks too.

k5-cj5

I've been looking at all the different builds. I think I've decided to build the 99 and leave my tundra as my dda vehicle. I have a leveling kit on it now.

Not a massive build, but I'd like the 99 to have 34-37 tires and it's already got 14bff rear, and a stout drive train.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle