Next Question: Diesel vs. Gas F350

lanceatm

Founder and CEO of EarthCruiser
Enjoying this thread very much. It has been said works trucks are diesel and fun trucks are petrol ( sorry Gas) . Seems to still hold true in this conversation, mostly.

Clutch

<---Pass
Enjoying this thread very much. It has been said works trucks are diesel and fun trucks are petrol ( sorry Gas) . Seems to still hold true in this conversation, mostly.

True. When owned our construction company, the earth moving equipment was diesel, but all of our trucks were gas except for the Tri-Axle R Series Mack, this was before the diesel "revolution" though. Back then everyone wanted big block gas, and the 3/4-1 ton diesels were laughed at. One guy had a diesel VW Rabbit for a commuter, that thing wouldn't get out of its' own way.

The 2.5 ton trucks were gas, they pulled and hauled everything just find, fairly low torque numbers by today's standards...it was all about gearing...but we weren't worried about fuel consumption as we were a big enough operation we had our own gas and diesel pumps at the shop. Not many jobs were all that far from the shop either. Didn't have to blast 80 mph down the highway, rarley got above 50.

Now-a-days...guys want 1000 ft lbs of torque to scream 90 mph down the highway with 5000 lbs in the bed and towing 25,000 lbs....scary really.

Interesting to see 8-10 speed transmissions being offered now, but more for fuel consumption rather than hauling/towing. Is a bit odd that high torque/horsepower engines are coupled to those....shouldn't really need it if it was geared right.

Last edited:

Mo4130

Adventurer
Agreed. The biggest factor with fuel economy is speed. Nothing else will do more for fuel economy than slowing down and running in direct if possible.

Semi trucks are turning 9 mpg and some even closer to 10 mpgs now a day. And that’s gross 80k lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer
Actually, all F150's from the XL to the Max Tow to the Raptor all have the same transmission and brakes. I know and have talked to plenty of people that tow 10K+ with them and have zero trouble. In fact I have talked to people that have come out of a 3/4 ton diesel to a Max Tow F150 and have zero regrets. They tow the same trailer, faster, for less money.

That's exactly my point. The F-150 doesn't upgrade the brakes and transmission to have similar spec's to the 3/4 ton segment even though it is rated to carry 3/4 ton-like loads. It just seems like a cheap move by Ford.

I'm sure plenty of people like their F-150's. But those are trucks that are built primarily for 'play' and can perform some 'work' on the side. Whereas dedicated 3/4 and 1 ton's are the opposite, and will likely last much longer under hard use. Also, the F-150 gasoline engines, especially the ecoboost's may be faster, but they're notorious for sucking down fuel at the rapid rate when put to work. It's all a tradeoff. I'm fine with a somewhat slower truck as long as it is more efficient.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Gas in a 3/4-1 Ton...they are all about the same, splitting hairs when it comes down to it.

The joke about the Tundra is, you'll get 3/4-1 Ton mpgs...in a 1/2 ton package. One of the reasons the Tundra gets such horrible mileage is it only comes with one gear set option (IIRC 4.10). Where-as the others you can order them with taller gears, plus now with 8-10 speed transmissions. The Tundra is "only" 6.

I would look into what people are getting with a Four Wheel Camper and F150 EcoBoost. They'll pull 15-18 mpg loaded from my research (Where a 3/4-1 Ton (and Tundra) will do 10-13 mpg), looks like a few can break 20 mpg, but that as at 50-55 mph.

Ram 1/2 Ton Ecodiesel and Chevy Colorado Duramax will do 20-25 mpg with a small popup camper. It appears though that Ram is still having trouble getting their 2019 Ecodiesel to pass epa emissions though. Which is odd since it is basically the same engine found in the Chevy Colorado to my understanding.

I have a 2014 Tundra, lifted with 34" tires and a Four Wheel Camper. We took a 3 week 8600km road trip to the Arctic (all the way to Tuk and back) and I averaged 12mpg over the whole trip. We had the camper loaded for bear given where we were going. I carried 14 gallons of extra fuel (yes, I have the ungodly small 26 gallon tank - but Transfer Flow does make a 45 gallon replacement which I'm considering) along with 2 full size spare wheels (never do that again) and a full complement of tools, 3 propane tanks, 1 wife, 2 dogs, etc.
I bought the Tundra specifically because I wanted a gas truck, I have no interest in diesel. The 5.7 V8 is simply a beast of a motor, there was never a single situation where it would not power up a grade, or pass a vehicle if I felt the want or need to do so. I bought the Tundra because I believe in it's pedigree and I wanted a truck that was going to be reliable for the next 15+ years with no major issues. My 2015 Dodge Caravan work van just shite itself with only 110K km on it a couple months ago. It cost me $5K to have the cylinder head and radiator replaced. Apparently it's an issue wit these Pentastar V6's and Chrysler refuses to acknowledge it. I will never in my life buy another Dodge product again.
I consider our rig more of an offroad RV than a truck, and honestly mileage is not my primary concern. I want it to go where I point it, and be able to return us home safely without complaining about it. If my Tundra walked away today, I'd buy another tomorrow.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
I have a 2014 Tundra, lifted with 34" tires and a Four Wheel Camper. We took a 3 week 8600km road trip to the Arctic (all the way to Tuk and back) and I averaged 12mpg over the whole trip. We had the camper loaded for bear given where we were going. I carried 14 gallons of extra fuel (yes, I have the ungodly small 26 gallon tank - but Transfer Flow does make a 45 gallon replacement which I'm considering) along with 2 full size spare wheels (never do that again) and a full complement of tools, 3 propane tanks, 1 wife, 2 dogs, etc.
I bought the Tundra specifically because I wanted a gas truck, I have no interest in diesel. The 5.7 V8 is simply a beast of a motor, there was never a single situation where it would not power up a grade, or pass a vehicle if I felt the want or need to do so. I bought the Tundra because I believe in it's pedigree and I wanted a truck that was going to be reliable for the next 15+ years with no major issues. My 2015 Dodge Caravan work van just shite itself with only 110K km on it a couple months ago. It cost me $5K to have the cylinder head and radiator replaced. Apparently it's an issue wit these Pentastar V6's and Chrysler refuses to acknowledge it. I will never in my life buy another Dodge product again.
I consider our rig more of an offroad RV than a truck, and honestly mileage is not my primary concern. I want it to go where I point it, and be able to return us home safely without complaining about it. If my Tundra walked away today, I'd buy another tomorrow.

The 5.7l iForce v8 may be inefficient compared to engines in that segment, but the Tundra's overall reputation is very hard to pass up when considering 1/2 ton pickups.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
The 5.7l iForce v8 may be inefficient compared to engines in that segment, but the Tundra's overall reputation is very hard to pass up when considering 1/2 ton pickups.

I consider efficiency part of the bigger picture. Everyone is always so wrapped up in mileage, as if that is all that matters. My truck will "efficiently" get me anywhere....and if I choose not to travel up that long grade at a snails pace (behind all those folks in their little mid-size super-efficient trucks with their campers and trailers attached) I can do so. I don't always need to travle fast, I rarely do. I do, however, want to be able to pass that line of slow moving rv's quickly and safely when the need arises and my Tundra will do that every time without breaking a sweat, guaranteed.

D

Deleted member 9101

That's exactly my point. The F-150 doesn't upgrade the brakes and transmission to have similar spec's to the 3/4 ton segment even though it is rated to carry 3/4 ton-like loads. It just seems like a cheap move by Ford.

I'm sure plenty of people like their F-150's. But those are trucks that are built primarily for 'play' and can perform some 'work' on the side. Whereas dedicated 3/4 and 1 ton's are the opposite, and will likely last much longer under hard use. Also, the F-150 gasoline engines, especially the ecoboost's may be faster, but they're notorious for sucking down fuel at the rapid rate when put to work. It's all a tradeoff. I'm fine with a somewhat slower truck as long as it is more efficient.

I think you have it backwards: the bottom of the line F150 has the same brakes and transmission as the Raptor and Max Tow... meaning it is way over built. Please, go to any camp ground and talk to newer F150 owners, they are not blowing transmissions or prematurely wearing their brakes. They are towing 10k+ trailers with no problems. Go to a track, they are pulling enclosed car haulers that were previously pulled by a 3/4 ton truck.

Also, go to your local drag strip... you'll find street driven ~12 second EcoBoost trucks, spraying meth, doing full boost launches in 4 hi on stock axles and transmissions... they are not breaking anything.

The max tow and HDPP variants also come with a thicker frame to handle the extra weight... bet ya didn't know that.

I towed an 8k command center with my last F150 and it gave me zero issues. I towed it at 75-80mph and didn't slow down for hills. Had it not come up for replacement under our contract, I would still have it.

As for fuel economy... it all depends on the drivers right foot. When towing the same trailer the EcoBoost will use less fuel than a gas F250 and maintain its speed far easier up a hill.

I'm thinking your opinion of the F150 is a bit out dated ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9101

Iys a very reliable truck.... slow and inefficient.... but reliable.

D

Deleted member 9101

Interesting to see 8-10 speed transmissions being offered now, but more for fuel consumption rather than hauling/towing. Is a bit odd that high torque/horsepower engines are coupled to those....shouldn't really need it if it was geared right.

More gears = more versatile. It allows a full size 4x4 to be able to get 22+mpg while empty and also tow 13k with out being confined to the right lane. Try to do either with a 4 speed.

D

Deleted member 9101

Slow? Turn the tow/haul on, press the traction control button 3 times...and voila = beast mode. Maybe not fully loaded down, but unladen, in beast mode, my Tundra is, well...a beast. (now where's the two thumbs up emoji?)
??
For what it is... it's no slouch. But when compared to a similarly equipped EcoBoost you will get walked all over. An EcoBoost + a tune will make you feel like you're sitting still...lol.

mrfoamy

Mrfoamy
8 Pages and 110- posts.

Have we made a decision yet as to which is better?

Gas Or Diesel?
As the Original Poster, may I add a comment? The Ford vs. Toyota, etc, etc. entire hijacked commentary has become somewhat amusing and a lot of fun. But for the original question I have decided on the diesel because it is so much more pleasant to drive a high torque motor turbocharged for the mountains. My 2012 F350 diesel has performed well as a work truck, my 2018 Range Rover (Ford) diesel is a joy to drive and I realized that going back to gas will simply not be as much fun for this upcoming camper-hauler. Thanks everyone for a ton of information and the full range of opinion.

Mo4130

Adventurer
A lot of anecdotal evidence around here. They are both good for their own documented reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal