Nissan Pathfinder 88 question w/Pics EDIT: MOre pictures!

Prflyer

Observer
Hello,

I am from San Juan Puerto Rico and have been on the board for a while now, mainly in the Jeep and Rover forum, I own a 88 Jeep and I am looking at the Pathfinder below, I know nothing about these, and not much info out there. How are they as far as capabilities offroad, reliability, comfort? parts? aftermarket? it would seem there would be a lot of them, but there isnt, here in PR there is ton of them, but mostly people use Jeep for offroad and other, Monteros, Isuzus. anyway, any help with info, insight, suggestion is greatly appreciated. :smiley_drive:

Nissan2.jpg

Nissan.jpg

Nissan1.jpg

Last edited:

stoneydude

Observer
I have been looking at these as well and have found a lot of information on http://npora.ipbhost.com. This site has a wealth of information and great members who can help you with any questions you have. Some of the main concerns for the wd21 is rust. I'm not sure how rust affects people in PR but it is a major problem up here in the states. Second is making sure the transmission cooler in the radiator is not clogged, most owners buy an external cooler and by pass the stock one all together just for peace of mind. They are great cars stock which is what caught my attention. The SE's came with 31"s stock and the others can fit them as well with just a few cranks of the torsion bars. SE's also came with a limited slip in the rear. Just go to http://npora.ipbhost.com and you'll find a lot more info. :coffee:

Prflyer

Observer
It has surprisingly no rust, they took all the carpet out to check, and I saw the pics, brand new, I grew up in Syracuse NY, so I know the damage salt can do to cars, here in PR being so close to the ocean its fairly the same issue, more on top of cars than below like in the states, although my Jeep is the other way around! chassis problems with rust!. at any rate, still all original in the engine bay and it even still has A/C! a must for Puerto Rico :sombrero: ok, ok although thats a mexican smiley, its the closest I can see LOL I have other pictures of the guy wheeling it, and the person is a close friend, he actually sold me the Jeep, he is moving to NY and offered it to me over dinner tonight.
So I turn to you guys for guidance. It's running 31's, my friend has not had it for long, and he is getting rid of it because of the move, he says it has lockers from the factory, at least he thought they were original, was this an option for a 88?

No rust?!! Buy it and you'll be the envy of all npora members!!! lol

Those 1st Gen Pathfinders are tanks. And it's always cool to wheel a rig that isn't the norm.

Awesome rig.

Prflyer

Observer
If they are so capable as I have read, why dont you see them on the trails? it would seem that a great platform, inexpensive would be all over the place... just question I have rolling around

If they are so capable as I have read, why dont you see them on the trails? it would seem that a great platform, inexpensive would be all over the place... just question I have rolling around

Three reasons would be: IFS, rust issues and poor aftermarket support. Despite these reasons they are out there. Check out some of the American clubs such as Ronin Wheelers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater