north to alaska

Josh

Adventurer
As long as I am not relegated to RV parks, I detest them.

No problem "pirate" camping with your trailer up here. I think you'd have more trouble finding a RV park when you "needed" one rather than being relegated to them as may be the case elsewhere.

As was recommended, get the Alaska Milepost book. It's an indespensible resource for your trip. If it's not in your local bookstore "travel" section then you can get it from Amazon. It will call out to the tenth of a mile where might be a good pull-out to spend a night in your trailer.
[while you're at the bookstore pick up the current issue of LRO. There's an article of my friend doing this trip in his SII 109]

Like someone said, from a lower 48 context it's hard to imagine the distances you'll be covering but that's what's fun about it!

One thing- I pulled a trailer up here behind a RRC. When I got here I found a bad crack in the factory tow hitch receiver. The waves (frost heaves) in the road had taken their toll. I was a young punk driving too fast. I'm sure you'll be more prudent and not have any such issues.

If you stop at Liard hotsprings bring some jugs of fresh water down to the springs with you. Soak the jugs while you bathe to warm them up.. that way you can rinse off the sulphur smell with warm, fresh water before getting back in the car.

You might plan to take the AlCan hwy one way and the Cassiar hwy the other.. for a change of scenery. They're both so nice.

Look me up when you hit the south-central AK area if you'd like. My front yard is the most beautiful, quiet, camping spot you'll find anywhere and there's a well equipped shop for oil changes, etc.

Kind regards, Josh

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Thats a great little trailer!

Ive always loved that style. Very light, and super resilient to weather. :ylsmoke:

matt s

Explorer
That is one sweet little trailer.

As to the highway. I drove it close to a dozen times going back and forth to college (10 years ago, but I doubt much changed). We drove it in everything from a Chevy Cavalier to a Olds Delta 88, a f150, a jeep etc. It doesn't matter it's really just regular two lane highway. Any sound vehicle will do. The milepost is the bible for the run, do get it. Other than that have enough gas money and enjoy the trip.

jackotheroad

again, thanks for replies. I do intend to do mostly 'boondocking' or pirate camping... all dry camping! Will take a small generator if I run down my trailer battery using my Atwood furnace.

hey, and you have good eyesite, that passenger rear tire could stand a little air!

I will get the Milepost, of course, but thought I might wait and get the 2010 edition.... does anyone know when it comes out?

and thanks, Josh, for the invite. you never know, I might take you up on it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven