Northern BC and the Yukon Fall 2009.

Jferg

Observer
Last fall the mine was operating but I'm pretty sure they don't provide any services for the public. If you were desperate perhaps, they might sell you some fuel but I wouldn't count on it. I also heard several months ago that the mine was closing again. I have no idea if that was true or not.

I wouldn't worry too much about going it alone down these roads. They are in pretty decent shape. As long as you plan your fuel carefully and drive sensibly you should have no problems.

I always thought Tungsten was a town and people lived there...which meant services were provided.

I guess what I'm concerned about is the unforeseen breakdown one might have on one of these roads. You can't be sure when you might see someone else on the road who might come to your rescue.

WxMan

Adventurer
Nope, Tungsten is just a mine. We saw about four or five vehicles over the two days we were up there. Two of those were commercial vehicles going to and from the mine and one other was a Yukon highways truck. Earlier in the year there may be more sightseers. I'm not sure. Traveling with one vehicle is always a calculated risk. Since my truck is relatively new and well maintained I don't worry about it too much. I do take a SPOT with me in case something really nasty and unforeseen happens though.

I forgot to mention earlier that if you want to check out a Chaser first hand let me know. I don't mind if you want to drop by sometime.

Jferg

Observer
Nope, Tungsten is just a mine. We saw about four or five vehicles over the two days we were up there. Two of those were commercial vehicles going to and from the mine and one other was a Yukon highways truck. Earlier in the year there may be more sightseers. I'm not sure. Traveling with one vehicle is always a calculated risk. Since my truck is relatively new and well maintained I don't worry about it too much. I do take a SPOT with me in case something really nasty and unforeseen happens though.

I forgot to mention earlier that if you want to check out a Chaser first hand let me know. I don't mind if you want to drop by sometime.

I'm glad you enlightened me on the fact that Tungsten is not a town.

Can you clarify a "SPOT" for me?

I'd love to see your trailer sometime. Let me know when it would be convenient for you. Thank you.

WxMan

Adventurer
Check out http://www.findmespot.ca/en/ for info on the SPOT.

I'm free all day on Monday if you want to come by. After that I'm working 12hr days Tuesday-Thursday, then heading out with the truck and trailer on Friday for a three week trip to Arizona including a stop at the Overland Expo. I won't be back until the first week of May.

Jferg

Observer
Check out http://www.findmespot.ca/en/ for info on the SPOT.

I'm free all day on Monday if you want to come by. After that I'm working 12hr days Tuesday-Thursday, then heading out with the truck and trailer on Friday for a three week trip to Arizona including a stop at the Overland Expo. I won't be back until the first week of May.

Thanks for infomation on SPOT. Monday works for me. Could you send me a private message through this website with your address and a time that works for you?

paulj

Expedition Leader
By the way, Google maps streetview is available for the Dempster and most of the roads in the Yukon.

EricBirk

Adventurer
Fantastic pictures!! looks like it was a great trip.

It was nice to find this page as it seems there are more locals than I originally thought.

nucktaco

Adventurer
wow that looks like an amazing trip. ive been wanting to do a trip up north for a while now. me and the gf wanna try get to Tuktoyaktuk, NT and id like to try the dalton hwy.

how did you like the RTT? Ive been looking at the same one just trying to convince myself to bite the bullet and throw down the cash. never seen one in person though.

WxMan

Adventurer
Thanks Eric, and yes there are more locals than I thought too. Our numbers are growing.

nucktaco, Inuvik is as far as you can go during the summer. Tuk is only accessible by vehicle when the ice roads are open. I'm still planning that trip. This year I opted to head south to the Overland Expo instead. I have no experience with the Dalton highway. I've heard that the Dempster is more scenic but you should ask some members here that have driven both and see which they prefer.

I love my RTT. The only regret I have is that it doesn't have a covered entrance like the ARB ones or the Eezi-Awn T-Top ones. I camp in the rain a fair bit and it would be nice to be covered while entering the tent. I haven't actually inspected any other RTT's in person so I can only comment on my Eezi-Awn which is extremely well built. I bought mine sight unseen too. I doubt you would be disappointed just make sure you read as much as you can, ask questions and be sure of what your expectations are. I'd be happy to show you mine but I won't be out to Vancouver until late summer/early fall.

TacoRocco

Observer
Awesome pictures. Awesome write up.

I'm starting to plan out Alaska Highway - Inuvik - Deadhorse trip.

Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC