Northern Lite 610 for 1/2 Ton PU

Mfitz

But 1 tons are the same physical size as a 3/4 ton?
Hell, they pretty much have the same footprint as my crew cab 6.5" box 1/2 ton. The 3/4 & 1 tons are just taller.
Yes, dimensions are exactly the same between 3/4 and 1 ton. And they aren't that much longer than 1/2 tons of the same cab and bed configuration, although they do feel bigger. Ford uses the same cab structure between 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton trucks.

rruff

Explorer
There was an article on ExPo regarding a build with the very light Tern camper on a Tacoma. The Tacoma was well built, but with an eye to weight savings... but still ended up being 7200 lbs when loaded for travel, which is ~2600 lbs over stock curb, and ~1600 lbs over GVWR. And they wheeled it! https://expeditionportal.com/is-your-overland-vehicle-overweight-here-is-a-possible-solution/

Anyway, expect to be way over GVWR on any 1/2 ton + camper if you are loaded for an extended trip. It's just a matter of degree.

simple

Adventurer
There was an article on ExPo regarding a build with the very light Tern camper on a Tacoma. The Tacoma was well built, but with an eye to weight savings... but still ended up being 7200 lbs when loaded for travel, which is ~2600 lbs over stock curb, and ~1600 lbs over GVWR. And they wheeled it! https://expeditionportal.com/is-your-overland-vehicle-overweight-here-is-a-possible-solution/

Anyway, expect to be way over GVWR on any 1/2 ton + camper if you are loaded for an extended trip. It's just a matter of degree.
Yep. A camper for Tacos and half tons should be looked at as a hard shell tent outfitted with backpack or light camping gear. Not full expedition with all the typical RV amenities.

I preferred the Pre-basement North lite and Bigfoot models.

Does anyone know the weight on the original version of this?
Simple,

I picked one up in July. It has a build date of July. 1992. Attached are pictures of the NL builders tags. 350kg or 772 lbs.

I have done a flat bed build with it onto a 2003 F-150. XL 4x4. The only modification I made was to change out the 20 year old 4 leaf springs for a hd 5 leaf pack rated at 2200 lbs. It feels very solid at high speeds ( 80 mph. ) and in cross winds with no anti sway bar installed. I will be weighing it soon to know how to load it for the long trip ahead.

As for the standing room, I did what I call a " bathtub lift." Cut out the floor leaving the perimeter, bolting it to the new flatbed and the Ford frame. This gives me almost 6'4" and it clears the cab and doors. The factory mounting points are connected with steel strapping to the 2" X 2" steel mounting 90 degrees to the Ford Frame. ( Think Tiger MH. )

I think if NL is bringing back this model they need to drop some weight, 1500lbs. is too much.

It's ( almost ) time to travel. Be safe, not scared.

Attachments

• NL Manufactures Tag. copy.jpg
    NL Manufactures Tag. copy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • Not quite done....jpeg
    Not quite done....jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 37
  • NL 6.10 Moving onto 4x4's.jpg
    NL 6.10 Moving onto 4x4's.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 37
  • NL 6.10 Floor Cutting..jpg
    NL 6.10 Floor Cutting..jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
  • NL 6.10 Options List GVWR.jpg
    NL 6.10 Options List GVWR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
  • NL 6.10 Options List.jpg
    NL 6.10 Options List.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 31

simple

Adventurer
772 lbs. is really quite light. Seems like they should buy one and reverse engineer it if they have since forgotten how it was made. LOL

Jonnyo

Observer
Simple,

I picked one up in July. It has a build date of July. 1992. Attached are pictures of the NL builders tags. 350kg or 772 lbs.

I have done a flat bed build with it onto a 2003 F-150. XL 4x4. The only modification I made was to change out the 20 year old 4 leaf springs for a hd 5 leaf pack rated at 2200 lbs. It feels very solid at high speeds ( 80 mph. ) and in cross winds with no anti sway bar installed. I will be weighing it soon to know how to load it for the long trip ahead.

As for the standing room, I did what I call a " bathtub lift." Cut out the floor leaving the perimeter, bolting it to the new flatbed and the Ford frame. This gives me almost 6'4" and it clears the cab and doors. The factory mounting points are connected with steel strapping to the 2" X 2" steel mounting 90 degrees to the Ford Frame. ( Think Tiger MH. )

I think if NL is bringing back this model they need to drop some weight, 1500lbs. is too much.

It's ( almost ) time to travel. Be safe, not scared.

same with mine, the sticker had it at 680lbs and when i measured at the scale... it was a little more in near 850lbs but i had water and gear in it. it was such a great little unit and the f150 didn't even feel it.

It's very hard to understand how NL is coming with a 1500lbs 610. It's a none sense

*that said, the older unit like mine was a 3 season camper. the new unit will be a 4 season. The 3 season was already amazing in winter tho.....the furnace had no problem keeping it very cozy in there!

img_0700-1-jpg.372472

simple

Adventurer
Adding a little more volume shouldn't double the weight. I think they must be cramming in a bunch of extra features. Either way I bet it is an awesome camper for a 3/4 ton and probably works on a half ton but is pushing it.

I'm still surprised how light the originals are considering it's weight is comparable to a Spacekap of roughly the same size with nothing in it.

Are the originals a woven layup? That would save weight over chopped glass.

Jonnyo

Observer
Adding a little more volume shouldn't double the weight. I think they must be cramming in a bunch of extra features. Either way I bet it is an awesome camper for a 3/4 ton and probably works on a half ton but is pushing it.

I'm still surprised how light the originals are considering it's weight is comparable to a Spacekap of roughly the same size with nothing in it.

Are the originals a woven layup? That would save weight over chopped glass.
a spacekap is a completely different construction vs a northern lite.

a space kap is a 1/8+ thick or more fiberglass rigid shell. all the strengh and integrity of the shell is based on the thickness and shape of a single skin.

The northern lite is an extremely thin outer layer...and the strength is on the foam and inside panel forming a composite panel construction. The northern lite depends on the interior shelf and counters to keep rigidity.

i think right now, northern lite is relying on the fact that trucks can carry more and more weight every year so building a heavier unit is simple for them. Less restriction, and less complexity in engineering.

simple

Adventurer
a spacekap is a completely different construction vs a northern lite.

a space kap is a 1/8+ thick or more fiberglass rigid shell. all the strengh and integrity of the shell is based on the thickness and shape of a single skin.

The northern lite is an extremely thin outer layer...and the strength is on the foam and inside panel forming a composite panel construction. The northern lite depends on the interior shelf and counters to keep rigidity.

i think right now, northern lite is relying on the fact that trucks can carry more and more weight every year so building a heavier unit is simple for them. Less restriction, and less complexity in engineering.
What is the thickness on the NL glass layup? Is it a woven matrix? I had to to tear into my Northern Lite light a little bit to repair some rot in the floor and a crack on the shell at the bottom of the door but it was over 15 years ago and I don't remember.

Jonnyo

Observer
What is the thickness on the NL glass layup? Is it a woven matrix? I had to to tear into my Northern Lite light a little bit to repair some rot in the floor and a crack on the shell at the bottom of the door but it was over 15 years ago and I don't remember.
It s strand shotted from an air gun. There is a video on YouTube that show the build progress. First is gel coat apply to the mold, then strand fiberglass shoot from a gun while another guy roll it tight and compact. It s very thin…. As very little regidity and when it come out of the mold… it s very wimpy and flexi. Then become hard as the foam and other part of the camper are added. It s such a fun process to look at!

ricoisme26

Apologies if this was already stated but Northern Lite's website states that weight is not finalized yet but they are aiming at a maximum of 1500 and focusing on keeping it as light as possible. Again please correct me if I'm wrong but it appears a lot of people are comparing previous model Northern Lite shells at 680lbs-772lbs but this does not appear to have a shell option, it will be a fully built out camper with bed(s) dinette, cabinets, stove, composting toilet, etc.

To that I agree 1500lbs is not 1/2 ton territory, I'd guess half the 1/2 tons on the road wouldn't have payload for a driver left over if they even have enough payload for a 1500lb camper. That said I would be interested in this camper on a 3/4 or 1 ton single rear wheel truck for a more nimble package than some other truck campers but a more sturdy camper than something like a GFC or other pick up shell/RTT campers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78