OBI Dweller Review and Discussion

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
Now you're making me rethink my portable solar panel idea in favor of a small generator like the WEN. This last camp site was only shady right where the trailer had to be located. And other areas close by were sunny. But some camp sites will be full shade everywhere. I'm used to tent camping where shade is king. Not so much now that I need to keep the batteries going. Any idea how long a 2,000 watt generator would need to run on a daily basis to keep basic electronics running (fridge, a few lights and water pump)?

Have you tried to run your A/C when using your generator?

A 2000W generator may or may not power a trailer AC. Depends on the power requirements for Dweller's unit.

The generator will power the typical microwave and basic electronics without a problem, and it will slowly recharge the trailer's batteries. You'll likely need to run it for at least an hour every day. But keep in mind that a quality 2000W generator will be $1.5k, will require regular fuel top ups, occasional oil changes, and will be very noisy. Yes, even the Honda units (had one), even at 30ft away. Most campsites will only allow a generator to run for 2hrs in the morning and 2hrs in the evening, in set times of day.

Gennies have their use, but I would do everything possible to not have to rely on one.

Put the money into high amp-hour, lithium batteries, and portable solar with 40ft cables so you can put the panel(s) in the sun, while keeping the trailer in shade.

WillySwan

A 2000W generator may or may not power a trailer AC. Depends on the power requirements for Dweller's unit.

The spec sheet for the Dweller's HB9000 heat pump lists the power consumption at 995 watts (8.8A @ 115V). The in-rush current is listed as 20A for 150ms. I have very little experience with portable generators and RV A/C, but the in-rush current sounds like it might be a deal breaker even for a 2200 watt generator.

The A/C documentation has a wiring schematic, so it may be feasible to install a generic soft start kit.

A quick search located a dealer in South Africa ( Maclaren Air (Pty) Ltd ) who advertises HB9000 units with soft start:
"This unit is made specially for the caravan use and is a heat pump type that can even run off a inverter by installing a soft starter module to the unit!"

IMG_9435.jpg

I like the idea of 100% solar but what to do for 3 or 4 days say in the redwoods? The dweller comes with 3 100ah AGM batteries (and 3 100 watt panels on the roof). I know that lithium are much better, and my plan is to upgrade to them once my AGMs wear down a bit. I wasn't thinking of replacing them so soon. I hadn't really planned to use the A/C with a portable generator, but was wondering if it was possible if I went that route over additional portable panels. That is certainly not my reason for thinking about a generator over panels.

I might have been fine on the last trip, except for the refrigerator cutting out. It was an easy enough fix to change the setting on the unit, but it did get me thinking about about additional electrical needs in case of no sun. We really don't use much electricity. The fridge is probably 90%. Other than that, we use some LED lights at about 1 amp and the water pump kicks on for washing dishes and the "navy" showers. The voltage panel was showing 12.2 or 12.3 volts at the end of 48 hours. Perhaps I over reacted. I did shut down the freezer portion of the fridge, so I ended up losing our ice cream and ice for the last day of camping - such hardships :)

I was thinking maybe a dual fuel generator since the Dweller has brackets for 2 propane tanks, so no need for gas cans.

But, like eatSleepWoof stated, there is the noise factor. I guess good problems to have to deal with.

eatSleepWoof

Do it for the 'gram
I like the idea of 100% solar but what to do for 3 or 4 days say in the redwoods? The dweller comes with 3 100ah AGM batteries (and 3 100 watt panels on the roof). I know that lithium are much better, and my plan is to upgrade to them once my AGMs wear down a bit. I wasn't thinking of replacing them so soon. I hadn't really planned to use the A/C with a portable generator, but was wondering if it was possible if I went that route over additional portable panels. That is certainly not my reason for thinking about a generator over panels.

I might have been fine on the last trip, except for the refrigerator cutting out. It was an easy enough fix to change the setting on the unit, but it did get me thinking about about additional electrical needs in case of no sun. We really don't use much electricity. The fridge is probably 90%. Other than that, we use some LED lights at about 1 amp and the water pump kicks on for washing dishes and the "navy" showers. The voltage panel was showing 12.2 or 12.3 volts at the end of 48 hours. Perhaps I over reacted. I did shut down the freezer portion of the fridge, so I ended up losing our ice cream and ice for the last day of camping - such hardships :)

I was thinking maybe a dual fuel generator since the Dweller has brackets for 2 propane tanks, so no need for gas cans.

But, like eatSleepWoof stated, there is the noise factor. I guess good problems to have to deal with.

12.2v is still plenty of most 12v appliances to function at 100%. I'm guessing the fridge in the Dweller isn't very high end if it shuts down at such voltage. Most "expedition AF, bro" fridges will run to 11.7v or so before their low-voltage safeties activate and shut the fridge down.

Furthermore, 3x100ah AGM batteries (300ah total) gives you about 150ah (50%) of actual, useable capacity. (With lithium batteries you'd get 80-90% useable capacity.) In my experience, a 63QT ARB fridge would run about 6 days non-stop off 300ah AGM batteries. The Dweller's fridge is likely not as efficient, but should still run for a heck of a lot longer than 2 days. I would double check all electrical work (as much as you can reasonably access) and see if there's anything else that could be draining your batteries. Water pumps and LED lights use virtually nothing.

In an ideal world, I'd have a trailer with 600ah of lithium; that should be plenty for two weeks of average use without recharging.

Oh, another option would be to install a DC to DC charger in your trailer, and simply run your vehicle for 30 minutes every day to recharge your trailer's batteries. Your vehicle's high-output alternator should charge your trailer batteries pretty quickly. Lowest cost, and likely simplest option. I'd opt for this over a generator any day.

gendlert

Well, we're back from the real test drive for the Monroe shocks: 250 mile round trip with about 2/3 of that on interstate, and 1/4 of that on forest roads.

Interstate: huge, huge improvement. Note that changing the shocks does not change the aerodynamics of the trailer (duh), so it still gets pushed by the wind and the big rigs going by. This is just a fact of physics. What changed significantly is how the trailer reacts to those movements. I had gotten used to it, but the trailer would rock back and forth a couple times and you could feel it when those instances happened. After the shock upgrade, it pushes in the wind once and then settles right back down. No rocking/wobbling/swaying/whatever you want to call it. I can pass trucks at 75 mph and it feels MUCH safer and more comfortable. I'm extremely pleased with the upgrade.

Off-road: Honestly, I didn't notice any change at all, which in my opinion, is perfect. It drives just like it did before, which makes me happy.

Also, I got a flat on my truck, got it patched at a tire shop open on a Sunday afternoon in Wilcox, AZ (it turns out Jarrod's Auto and Tire is awesome, if you ever find yourself in Wilcox and need anything), and they really liked the Dweller. Beat the crap out of the Jayco pop-up on their lot that got dropped off because THE AXLE CAME OFF THE TRAILER WHILE GOING 65 MPH. I can only imagine how scary that must have been.

Anyway, if you're thinking about the shock upgrade, it's worth it. I'm going to pass that on to OBI as a possible OEM spec improvement from the factory.

Next upgrade is going to be to Lithium; I'll keep you posted.

ROA-OFFROAD

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Ya they make these videos pulling an empty Dweller with an empty tow vehicle. Witch in my not so humble opinion is not giving anyone a real life idea of what a Dweller can do in the wild on a camping trip. Next video will be them staging a nascar style race with the dweller and a competing trailer they sell. Show down in the Wasatch will be the title. Also one of thier Dweller videos shows how one can exceed thier gcwr and be out and proud about it. They let a lady buy a x22 and pull it home to CO with a four runner. She was told by one thier 19 year old employee s that they pull x22 s with a 4runner bo problem

Have you seen any other OBI outfitter take the trailers out and do these things we have done with the trailers?

Tell us what you would like to see and we will do it.

No, we didnt let someone tow a xplore RV with a 4 runner that's comical. The Jeep gladiator rubicon with 7000 lbs of towing met its match with a 5300 lb dry weight x22. 7000 lbs is on the extreme low end. I dont know that a 4 runner could make it out of the parking lot with an x22.

If you would like us to do some videos with full tanks and loaded with gear we can. The only difference would be that it will require more power from the tow vehicle. The point of the off road tests is to show what the trailers are capable of. Nobody will do those things. But they want to know they are stout off road trailers.

Please send criticism and suggestions to us. We welcome it all.

ROA-OFFROAD

Doesn’t seem like you have much of any value to add except for snarky comments or trying to nit pick

…which is common sense. It seems like you have just been adding negativity or trying to find flaws with the trailer. If you don’t want to buy it, don’t. It’s not adding any productive discourse on this thread.

Thanks Mate! We are just trying to add value and give people info they cant find anywhere else.

ROA-OFFROAD

Maybe my comments might give value to someone who has been obsessing on all the off road trailers on the market but does not have the time, tools or ability to modify a brand new 60k+ trailer. No trailer is perfect but mass produced trailers in China do raise concerns. It does seem like OBI and ROA go out of thier way to not mention these are built in China. I watched a video from a cheese ball dealer in TX that said they were MFGed in AZ. All this said the Dwellers seem to lead the pack on Chinese built trailers. So far.

Yes, the trailers were made in china. We have worked with manufacturers that make things in china and their dedication to quality was no where close to OBI. We have no problem with things being made in china as long as there is proper management and quality assurance to make sure that what is being delivered is meeting high standards. We plan to go to china and do a video as soon as they allow us. We tried a couple months ago but its closed right now to visitors due to covid regulations.

Iphones were made in china but for some reason steve jobs doesnt bring that up when he presents the iphone.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Have you seen any other OBI outfitter take the trailers out and do these things we have done with the trailers?

Tell us what you would like to see and we will do it.

No, we didnt let someone tow a xplore RV with a 4 runner that's comical. The Jeep gladiator rubicon with 7000 lbs of towing met its match with a 5300 lb dry weight x22. 7000 lbs is on the extreme low end. I dont know that a 4 runner could make it out of the parking lot with an x22.

If you would like us to do some videos with full tanks and loaded with gear we can. The only difference would be that it will require more power from the tow vehicle. The point of the off road tests is to show what the trailers are capable of. Nobody will do those things. But they want to know they are stout off road trailers.

Please send criticism and suggestions to us. We welcome it all.

Well that is what a lady from CO told me on a FB chat. It maybe comical to you and she may have been lying. It was an older gen v8 runner. Probably 6,500 lb towing capacity.

Don't make any video s on my behalf as I am probably the only person who cares about towing an empty trailer or not. Tell me if I am wrong but you don't think that adding 1,000 plus pounds might effect how the Dweller drops off rock ledges and departure angles?

Peace out

ROA-OFFROAD

Due respect, but no manufacturer or sales group that I've ever seen goes out of their way to focus on publicizing the flaws and weaknesses in their products. That's rarely a successful long term strategy! Every Dweller and other camper is going to get towed with something. Last time I checked, Jeep, Ford, Dodge, GMC, Toyota, etc all have videos and brochures out there, none of which include the percentage of the vehicle that comes from country A or B, or that discusses the lack of weight and whether it is a completely stock vehicle that is bombing around off road. Do your homework. Dweller is one of the few campers I've been considering. This thread has been great since it's actual owners discussing the pros/cons (for each of them) and what they are doing to improve the base package. For me, existing owners that have some capabilities and skills, finding flaws and not running away from the camper (same would be true for truck, boat, etc), is a huge positive. There are other options out there where the owners seem to be saying stay away, and that are selling theirs rather than improving them. Here its owners saying, this is not what it should be, but here is how to fix that. And for all of the owners sharing that with us, it's awesome, thank you!

If I want to pay 2x the cost of a Dweller for higher end components and probably more skilled labor and attention to detail, I can do that. If I want to pay half as much, I can also do that, and will likely get lower end components and less attention to detail. Options out there for all price points. But its on the consumer to do a little homework to figure out what you get at each price point, vs the true capabilities and value (and value is a personal calculation when you are buying something, not a manufacturer or sales calculation). Again, figure out your budget and then do some homework. Not up to a company to do that for you. And yes, there is usually a reason something costs significantly more or less.

As for ROA, I think their videos are great. As others have said, they are selling campers, shockingly they probably want the videos to highlight the positives! Whether they are loaded up or not is irrelevant, or at least no more relevant than whether they are towing it with the exact same vehicle and set up that the consumer has. What is relevant, is them showing these campers going to some pretty great locations that most other campers could never get to. Not a lot of info out there for many of these campers. This forum and videos from ROA and others are really helpful as input.....but again, do your homework and don't expect ROA or any manufacturer to do it for you! And stop worrying about where something is made, and rather focus on whether it does what you need it to do, and whether it hits your calculation of desired value.

:cool:

ROA-OFFROAD

Well that is what a lady from CO told me on a FB chat. It maybe comical to you and she may have been lying. It was an older gen v8 runner. Probably 6,500 lb towing capacity.

Don't make any video s on my behalf as I am probably the only person who cares about towing an empty trailer or not. Tell me if I am wrong but you don't think that adding 1,000 plus pounds might effect how the Dweller drops off rock ledges and departure angles?

Peace out

Well that makes more sense. We typically will highly discourage when something isn't quite right, but if they persist we will let them if its not completely unsafe.

I believe the point is to be able to extrapolate that if someone can do x while its empty, then I should be able to at least do (this) while its full. If doing obstacles with fully loaded trailers is important we can do it.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

Yes, the trailers were made in china. We have worked with manufacturers that make things in china and their dedication to quality was no where close to OBI. We have no problem with things being made in china as long as there is proper management and quality assurance to make sure that what is being delivered is meeting high standards. We plan to go to china and do a video as soon as they allow us. We tried a couple months ago but its closed right now to visitors due to covid regulations.

Iphones were made in china but for some reason steve jobs doesnt bring that up when he presents the iphone.

I don't think Iphones are a good comparison and I believe Steve passed away I while ago ?

I should have pointed my criticism to that dealer in TX who just flat out lies. I will say compared to that dealer you guys shine!!

I promised I would not post on this string anymore.

50pentz

Has anyone found a comprehensive owner's manual for the Dweller?

The "user manual" on obicamper.com is very basic

gendlert

Has anyone found a comprehensive owner's manual for the Dweller?

The "user manual" on obicamper.com is very basic

To my knowledge, there's no such thing yet. Mine came with a pile of manuals from the manufacturer for the toilet, inverter, stereo, AC, etc. Honestly, if there's something you can't figure out, this thread is turning into a manual. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven