Oct 15th, 2007: San Francisco - Inuvik - Puerto Toro - Buenos Aires

Quixote

Observer
First Elk, now this! :smiley_drive:

The winds in Baja blew these branches down onto the FJC. Luckily they were pretty light, but unfortunately scratched the s-- out of the hood. C'est la guerre...

720px-palm-attack.jpg

Quixote

Observer
Desertdude said:
Never a dull moment on the road.

Always a good idea to look up before you park now?

Looks warm

Some lessons need to be re-learned. In Zimbabwe we learned not to park under a Mukwa tree because elephants like to dig them up. Fortunately it was only some branches and not a coco bomb that fell on the car.

Quixote

Observer
So after driving the full length of the Baja Peninsula I have come to the conclusion that one has to NOT hit the major cities. They are overrun with extremely rich Americans/Canadians/Europeans with very strange tastes. Since I was traveling with my parents who do not like to rough it we pretty much were stuck to the main sights :)

Anyway, the road was good all the way and no security problems were evident.

720px-fj-cactus.jpg

Quixote

Observer
We are currently on a mini-break here in Oaxaca to study Spanish. Hopefully after our month long immersive course we'll be able to make heads or tails of this language.

Taking a break from our break, we got a chance to see the ruins of Monte Alban close to the city.

720px-temples.jpg

Quixote said:
We are currently on a mini-break here in Oaxaca to study Spanish. Hopefully after our month long immersive course we'll be able to make heads or tails of this language.

Taking a break from our break, we got a chance to see the ruins of Monte Alban close to the city.

720px-temples.jpg

Now that is cool! I am a sucker for history.

cnskate

Adventurer
Oaxaca is a cool place. Glad it's calmed down.

Take the FJ up to Apoala. It's the Mixtec's version of the "Garden of Eden", and for obvious reasons. There's a campsite by the river, or a state run tourist motel there.

Hierve el Agua (sp?) is another gorgeous spot. Just the views are what impressed me.

The food at La Naranja in Oaxaca is amazing. Enjoy.

Quixote

Observer
cnskate said:
Oaxaca is a cool place. Glad it's calmed down.

Take the FJ up to Apoala. It's the Mixtec's version of the "Garden of Eden", and for obvious reasons. There's a campsite by the river, or a state run tourist motel there.

Hierve el Agua (sp?) is another gorgeous spot. Just the views are what impressed me.

The food at La Naranja in Oaxaca is amazing. Enjoy.

It has been very sweet out here - even after being here for over a month there are still tons of things I never got a chance to do. Our spanish class was so intense that we hardly had time for anything else!

Well, we did make some time for drinking :wings:
The grog out here is something else. Here is a picture of my favorite Mezcal tienda, Union de los Palenqueros:

720px-mezcal-shop.jpg

viatierra

Explorer
Nice! You are helping me remember my forgotten Mexico drinking memories that were fogotten...
:snorkel:

Safe travels & please keep posting!

Quixote

Observer
cnskate said:
Which language school did you attend between drinks?

We went to a place called Solexico, run by an expat and her Mexican partner. They are very attentive to your needs and the program that they have developed has a lot of skill-and-drill exercises. I have never made such progress this quickly in language learning.

720px-sol-door.jpg

P.S. The owner of La Naranja was forced to sell the place after the troubles in 2006. Last I heard she was looking for a chef gig in the USA. The new owners bought the name and are running the rest. but some of my fellow students said it wasn't the same.

Quixote

Observer
A little stale now, but interesting none the less...

640px-dead-elk.jpg

I had a picture of my dreaded nemesis on my cell phone that I had forgotten to download. This is the very beast that almost brought the journey to an end...

:elkgrin:

Quixote

Observer
Coming down to Palenque the weather has become much warmer but the forest teems with birds and insects! The site is very atmospheric - in the middle of a deep jungle with the calls of Howler monkeys and the sawing noises of Keel-Billed Toucans, cereal box birds.

720px-temp-ins.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater