Oct 15th, 2007: San Francisco - Inuvik - Puerto Toro - Buenos Aires

Hoss86

Observer
I agree with this mod. If you don't mind me asking, how much did this cost? I'm going to email Superior 4Wheel Drive about availability if the price is right. You could post or PM me. Thanks. Great FJ and wish you the best on your expedition.

expeditionswest said:
Fantastic! Please let me know when you come through Arizona.

This is a nice mod:
350px-fj-bar.jpg

Quixote

Observer
Hoss86 said:
I agree with this mod. If you don't mind me asking, how much did this cost? I'm going to email Superior 4Wheel Drive about availability if the price is right. You could post or PM me. Thanks. Great FJ and wish you the best on your expedition.

The cost was $425 and the entire barrier was fabricated with 1" tubular steel.

cruiser guy

Explorer
So are you going to Belize after Palenque or Guatemala? If you're heading to San Christobal in Chiapas make sure to stop at Misol Ha and Agua Azul on your way. Beautiful and worthwhile stops!

Quixote

Observer
The caves at Loltun have a 12,000 year history of human habitation. Ancient Maya carvings are a relatively recent evidence of this long history. Inside the caves one finds evidence of the pressure wave caused by the Chixulub meteorite when it impacted the earth 65 million years ago, contributing to the extinction of the dinosaurs.

450px-loltun-spot.jpg

Quixote

Observer
Does every expedition move much slower than expected? The world is full of so many interesting diversions and little detours!

Originally we had planned on just driving right through Belize - but now we find ourselves out in the Cayes, exploring the great mesoamerican barrier reef...

230px-trop-par.jpg

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Quixote said:
Does every expedition move much slower than expected?

Only if your not on Expedition with Scott Brady :safari-rig:

Enjoy your journey where ever it may take you. The side trips and breakdowns have always made expedtions very interesting.

Thats a great photo :bowdown:

Quixote

Observer
The border crossing from Belize to Guatemala was an unnecessarily complicated affair. I didn't have copies of my passport so I had to wander around the seedy border town in Guatemala looking for a place to copy my documents. The only place that was open was a dental clinic.

Got taken for two bribes - had to pay $3 for the entry stamp and $7 for a 'community toll' across the border. Adding the $40 in Mexico this brings to $50 so far paid out in bribes. All during border crossings.

Anyway, small price to pay for this sunrise over Tikal:

720px-sunrise-tikal.jpg

Quixote

Observer
Lake Atitlan in the Guatemala highlands is ringed with volcanoes. Some say it is the most beautiful alpine lake in the world...

Of course, having a strong local bias towards Lake Tahoe, I beg to differ! :)

720px-atitlan.jpg

Quixote

Observer
Getting so close to flowing lava was a new experience for me. Volcan Pacaya, about an hour outside Antigua, Guatemala, has been active for two years now. Several outfits, including O.X. Expeditions, will get you to where the lava is.

We spent the night close to the lava flow so we could see the spectacular night vistas:

720px-lava.jpg

Quixote

Observer
The border crossings come fast in this part of the world! The countries are so tiny that they can be driven across in a day (as if you would want to!). Crossing borders has been surprisingly uncomplicated so far. Most usually take about an hour or so for the immigration and the paperwork for the car import/export. More annoying are the small bribes that almost all immigration officers ding the foreign visitors.

Here is a nice vista along the way to Managua, Nicaragua:

720px-fj-at-momotombo.jpg

Quixote

Observer
Hello all,

We have now reached Panama City on the thin wasp-waist of the western hemisphere. Yesterday we had a meeting with Evelyn Batista of Barwil S.A and I am here to tell you that she is all that Dave Connor of Expeditions Americas made her out to be.

Amazingly clear and with a good command of english she really makes this stressful shipping process more comfortable. Here is her contact information for future overlanders:

Evelyn N. Batista
Sales Executive
Barwil Agencies, S.A.

Panama City Office
Avenida Balboa
Galerias Balboa Building Second Floor, Suite 35
Phone: 507 263-7755
Evelyn.Batista (at) barwil.com

Today I will share a soothing picture from Finca Dracula in the Chiriqui Highlands:

720px-dracula3.jpg

Quixote

Observer
The paperwork party started today! We went to the Vehicle Inspections office early at 8:15am to prove to the Panamanian authorities that the car being exported is not stolen, smuggled, etc.

We immediately ran into a problem - the motor number was incorrect due to the fact that I had seen the wrong plaque close to the tranny as opposed to another plaque further up on the block. This required an additional trip to the customs office before the car could pass inspections. Now that the inspector is happy, we need a sign-off from the secretary, whose office, inexplicably, does not process applications until 1:00pm.

From there it will be back to customs with our bill of lading to get our exit paperwork.

So far it has not been too bad, all the officials have been polite and helpful and there have been no lines. The only complaint I have is that the inspector is located in a dicey part of town, which we have to visit numerous times.

I'll keep this thread updated on our delightful progress...

Quixote

Observer
So after running around in Panama City for twelve days to ship the car across the Darien we're now waiting in Cartagena to collect it, the ship being late by three days.

Sigh! At least we have a hotel with a/c...

viter

Adventurer
at least it's only 3 days and not 3 weeks. good luck with the "getting it out of the box" process!
some people say that south america differs greatly from central america - let us know what you think!
and thanks again for your updates!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater