off road lights

frumpy

Explorer
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. The lights are bolted to a piece of aluminum angle and that is secured to the jeep with U-bolts to the factory roof rails.

Finished up the wiring tonight and they are bright. The little tiny lights on the side are killer too.

I like your light bar! Looks like what I was trying to accomplish with my light bar for my minivan. Like you I wanted a little bit more light for going down the road at night (watching for deer and moose) and some light for the campsite.

I agree with R_Lefebvre about not going overkill, there is no way I am going to, or want to out drive my cheap lights.

Here is a link to my light bar, 2x 100w driving light and remote control Go-light for the campground.

for more go to:

http://s620.photobucket.com/albums/tt281/jasondavidmann/light bar/

Not to hijack this thread but does anyone know how strict the OPP (Ontario Police) is about uncovered lights on the roof?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I haven't had any problem at all in almost 1 year with the uncovered roof lights. But, I've never been *caught* with them on. ;) Realistically, I hardly ever use them on the street. I would have to be in the middle of BFN, and only at low speeds. I use my driving lights on the bumper all the time. On the street, I just don't need more than that.

05liberty

frumpy;
Have you been in Moncton this week ... I think I saw your Libby here ... or one that looks like it ! Nice job on the light bar BTW

frumpy

Explorer
I was, down at costco (can't remember what day because I'm on holidays and not really keeping track lol). My jeep has a national sticker on the back windown too.

Did you wave? If so, I didn't see you.

05liberty

I was in my company 1/2 ton .. you probally would have wondered why someone in an F150 was waving :confused: Will do next time though .. I have a Kaki Limited w/ a Renny light bar .
Do you get any wind vibration from your setup ?

Last edited:

frumpy

Explorer
I don't get any vibes and can't even hear the difference with the lights up there. My milage is still the same... bad lol

thats pretty cool with the tractor light, I may have to do that for my reverse light.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Slight problem with aircraft landing lights. Only 25 hour rated life.

Sealed Beam Lamp, Trade Lamp No. 4509, Watts 100, 13 Volts, PAR36 Lamp Shape, Aircraft, Screw Terminal Base, Lamp Type Halogen, Rated Average Life Hours 25, Candle Power 110, 000, Diameter 4 1/2 In, Max Overall Length 2 3/4 In

If you want to use a PAR36 for a backup light let me know. Bought a ton and tested them for just that purpose a few years back. I'll go outside and pop the bulbs out if you're interested. Found three that work well.

irsa76

I'm a firm beliver in getting the best lights I can afford, and if I can't afford the best to keep saving until I can!
I used to have a pair of Cibie Oscar SC in spead(cornering) and pencil beam, well not really pencil as such just long rang, and found them to be superb lights. To the point that I looked into getting another set so I would have a pair of each, couldn't fit all the lights on the front of my little Mazda 121 miniwagon though!
121auk6.jpg

The Mazda with it's first light setup, after 3 straight weekends either chasing rallies or camping! Had planned to turn it into a mini expedition (FWD!) machine but rolled it.
chloe20040124002oy9.jpg

My Datsun truck, scrapped now, with the Mazda's final light setup. The upper lights are Cibie Oscar SC in spread and pencil beams and the lower lights in the Datsun pic are Narva Maxim 180 foglights, they replaced the no name fogs on the Mazda. I also used the same setup, slightly different mounting, on my old Subaru and the Datsun mounting on my Holden Commodore wagon. I found this setup to be the best for my needs, although like I said another pair of the Cibies would have been nice. Saved my cars from Kangaroos a few times!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333