Off Road Tires for RR Sport? Don't shoot me!

JumpJ

Adventurer
It has been asked in the LR forums 1,000s of times, I know. All to often the answers are from guys tearing up Rodeo drive in their lowered Range Rover Sports. These gents are not being very helpful with answers like - "Mine does great when I accidentally hit the edge of our lawn" or comparing pot holes on 5th Ave in NYC to the Moab dirt roads. So while I'm not able to offer a million dollar reward, I would love to hear some thoughts from Sport owners on their tire experinces for off road. Hopefully those that reply will have taken them beyond the front lawn of their home or the treacherous reaches of 5th Ave after a light rain?
Thanks Much.:)

PJPR01

Adventurer
So...with almost 100K miles on my RRS, I can give you some decent advice - after running thru many trails in Moab (While rim trail), lots of the key feature trails in Colorado (Black Bear, Imogene, Mosquito, Halfmoon Creek, Ophir, Engineer et. etc.), and tons of other locations with not a single puncture on my Nittos.

If you stay with the stock tires in a 19 inch setup, there are only 2 choices - Goodyear MTR (very expensive and terrible in the rain on pavement) or Pirelli Scorpion (currently out of stock per those RRS owners hunting actively for this option).

If you have an RRS HSE model 2006-09, then your best bet if you plan on doing Moab/Colorado/Death Valley type expeditions is to get a set of 8x18's original LR rims - also available on line from time to time in either the rare 5 spoke pattern, or the more common LR3 10 spoke pattern. This will then allow you to fit 285/60/18 in either a Nitto Terra Grappler (2 options here, no real need to do the 10 ply in my opinion) or Cooper Zeon LTZ, both tires tested extensively by large groups of LR owners - both LR3 and RRS. Coopers tend be a slight bit stickier, wear out a bit faster and tend to get a bit noisier at the end of their life. I've been thru 2 sets of Nittos at almost 45k each set.

If you are planning on staying with your 20 inch rims, then also the Cooper Zeon LTZ - here you can run either 275/45/20 or 285/50/20...with just very slight rubbing under full compression in the rear, and very slightly rubbing on full steering wheel lock up front. The problem with this is zero room to air down, and from those running it...it's harsh on rocky trails compared to the 18's.

Hit me with any further questions...post up pics.

Also check out Rangerovers.net or RRSPORT.UK and you'll see a whole community of RRS owners - granted there are not too many of us who go offroad, but enough to give you guidance.

Last edited:

JumpJ

Adventurer
Brilliant write up and very much appreciate it. How does one post pics. I can never seem to get it to work.

PJPR01

Adventurer
Good link there Nathan! :iagree:

Posting pics is not too hard...if you have a photobucket or similar type account, just copy the link that starts with and ends with the same. That will bring in the link to the pic.

Post up pics once you get your new shoes on...and try to come out to Overland Expo II this year if possible.

GregH

These are 2006 18" RRS wheels with 285/65R18 BFG All-Terrains (on 2006 Range Rover HSE)

Attachments

• RR3 009.jpg
    RR3 009.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 96
  • RR3 007.jpg
    RR3 007.jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 115

JumpJ

Adventurer
Thanks, Roof Rack Brush Bars

I tried to attach the picture of the Sport. The feedback has been great and the serach is on for the wheels. I thought I'd pass on that during my tire search I ran across a thread from a chap showing his sport with a Thule Rack on it. In the vent you have been as frustrated by the LR rack not being very good it is the THule 480R that this fellow says works but is not advertised on their website. There was also a reference to Baja Racks having a product.

On another note I ran across a compnay that would consider using my sport to build/model a proper brush bar. Would anyone be interested in assisting what we want to see in this?
Cheers

Attachments

• DSC_0043.JPG
    DSC_0043.JPG
    5.9 KB · Views: 332

PJPR01

Adventurer
There was also a reference to Baja Racks having a product.Cheers

Now...where might we have seen this before? HHmm..., the guys at Bajarack are top notch...

http://www.bajarack.com/the-mega-mule-2

P.S. A new version coming out at OV Expo II shortly, slightly redesigned, lower profile, a bit wider

Here's the current version:

2009-07-21.jpg

DSCN1794.jpg

DSCN1840.jpg

Last edited:

JumpJ

Adventurer
That was the picture that did it!

So is that your RRS that was featured on the rovers net dicsussion? It was the last motivation I could find that I could actually satisfy my desire that this beast could do it!! My hats off to you. Great looking set up. I'll try not to copy you exactly but I ordered my wheels today and tires will follow next.
I'm having a custom rear spare and bumper qouted tomorrow.......gulp. There goes the retirement. After I bought my hitch today for $523 including tax I may as well go for it!!!
I miss my 110!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
It was the last motivation I could find that I could actually satisfy my desire that this beast could do it!!

While you will always miss your 110, the RRS is quite capable. Here are a few photos of them being put through their paces:

102163482_HD7TU-XL-1.jpg

215366717_mGxmp-L.jpg

130693455_9ohGY-L.jpg

223585008_3oE5E-L.jpg

134696270_NRLaJ-L.jpg

100351998_2uBxi-L-1.jpg

109808088_cyF9r-L.jpg

100144873_iG5Vp-L-2.jpg

100148039_rVhPb-L-2.jpg

PJPR01

Adventurer
So is that your RRS that was featured on the rovers net dicsussion? It was the last motivation I could find that I could actually satisfy my desire that this beast could do it!! My hats off to you. Great looking set up. I'll try not to copy you exactly but I ordered my wheels today and tires will follow next.
I'm having a custom rear spare and bumper qouted tomorrow.......gulp. There goes the retirement. After I bought my hitch today for $523 including tax I may as well go for it!!!
I miss my 110!

Yup...that's the one...and as those pics below of Spiker/Umberto also flexing their RRS's are great as well. I'm very curious to see what you've got cooking on the custom rear spare and bumper, is that a Kaymar style bumper you're designing? The trailer hitch price sounds a bit steep, if that's the standard one, you should be able to find those on Ebay anywhere from 275-325.

Looking forward to seeing your setup once done!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk