old school toys

big sky trapper

Adventurer
Just wondering if any interest in older toys. As far as build up's Idea's ect. I know there are 1000's of sites out there for them. I had/have a full size F150 that we just "finished" but do due other circumstances wont be used for anything any more.

I have several 84-85 toy's in my back yard that need something done with them. pulled one in the shop this past weekend to start tinkering around with it. It's an 84 std cab long box will be my choice of them to build something outta of. (A lot of copying of brians 89 build up and will be used about the same across montana).

As i go back to smaller trucks, In some ways am looking foward to it. Less room = more creative storage and less "stuff" to pack around. ( now the misses might not like that haha)

Ill get a few pics to see some interest ...

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Post up!

I'm building a 86 4Runner right now. Love the truck but it is definitely an exercise in restraint and creative space saving solutions after my last truck, 1975 GMC K5 Jimmy.
Link in the sig for mine.

I always liked the looks of the old Ford F100, and I think a 2UZFE rebuild of an old FJ40 or FJ55 would be really cool.

And then...ever since I was a kid and saw "The Gods Must Be Crazy", I wanted a Rover of the same style as the "Antichrist"...spare on the bonnet, capable of winching itself up a tree and all.

There's an FJ55 (I think) sitting in a yard I see once in a while, hasn't moved since I saw it last...could probably make an offer, but I have neither time, space nor money right now :(.

-Sean

big sky trapper

Adventurer
This is the beast i am going to rebuild. I do have for it a "ARB" stlye front bumper and rear swing away. I pulled the boat rack, tool box, and tractor lights last night and pulled all the wheels down to the bearings. YUK! not one good one in the entire driveline. ordered them ...should be here this PM. so lots of work there. The motor {22r} is toast I do have good one in the shop (somehwere... amoungst all the piles of 4x4 crap or is it gold haha)

SO im thinking a basic reseal on the motor, new clutch and associated parts, rebuild basic driveline - bearings, seals, and u joints. new rubber hoses belts ect. High out put alternator, maybe the supra alt swap. some sort of isolated multi battery set up.

the ruough country 3' lift system and 33-950-15 tires.

The hardest part finding the right bed topper to fit the narrow bed rails of the early yota's. Build a sleeping storage area in the back.

before:
DSC04225.jpg

and what i would like to end up with:(just a pic from the net)
Toyota2.jpg

Reliabilty and simple maintenance are the goals for the project.

big sky trapper

Adventurer
well I guess it be ok to say . The F150 was built so the misses and me could continue all of our outdoor activities with our new born son. room for a car seat ect. insulated/heated rear sleeping area for the montana winters ect.
We lost our son due to a very rare heart condition and neither of us really want to mess with the ford any more. A s soon as we get the radios and winch off it, it will go in the local paper. With that in mind I think the yota will be best in the end.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I had an '85 pick up that I sold last year. I thought it was a great unassuming little truck. Other than being hard to start with the carb in winter, it was a fun rig.

The truck had a 3" lift, BFG AT's and an old Smittybilt bumper. It did great on local trails but I think it would have been rough on my back for multi-day, multi-state trips. I added a couple of leather bucket seats from a '92 4Runner and a factory Inclinometer/Altimeter for fun. Had I kept it, I would have looked at an auxillary gas tank or a way to carry a couple of jerry cans to extend the range but other than that it was good to go.

I'd love to see a modern day build of a 20+ year old outfit -

Early.jpg

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Oh. I was typing as you were posting.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I couldn't even imagine.... I would be devastated.

My condolences to you and your family.

big sky trapper

Adventurer
Thank you and no worries.

The pics across wyo look great. What lift did you run and any complaints with that brand? and any steering issues?

some of my internet reading and has a wide variety of answeres whether or not the steering needs addressed with significant changes to a 3 inch lift or not. It might be one of thoe try and see then build from there kinda project.

Kevinj110

Observer
awesome cant wait to see how it comes out I have owned many a early toyota. Good to see someone building one for more than just beating it.

big sky trapper

Adventurer
JosephineII gets some goodies

winchctrls.jpg

I got one of these in the mail last night with my front knuckle rebuild kit.
Im thinking of installling it in a small pocket on the keft of the steering column. It seams to fit perfectly there. Being able to control the winch from within the cab will be nice, plus still having the traditional leads for those times when i feel i really need to watch whats going with my winch. Ill get pics when done soon...
I like the design of this one, being all the wiring is presealed in one unit pre terminated ready to fish through the firewall. The red panel is the same plastic stuff that name tags for doors are made from. should be very easy to work with getting installed and looking nice. They are made by the parent company in Missoula, Montana.

http://www.roadlessgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=TOY

rear wheel bearings are all complete, should have the front end done tonight now that the rest of the seals and misc are here. The engine resealed and swaped on sat.

Ridgewalker

Adventurer
You guys must all be young. You have so much energy to get things done. It is great reading and watching all the energy going into your builds!
Thanks for sharing. I enjoy the vicarious build I get by reading your posts.
Keep it up.

big sky trapper

Adventurer
Not that young any more and definatly low on energy now...Well its done!!!! minus i need one of those copper engine drain plug seals to finish it off. Pick up one tommorrow and woo hooo go for a good test run tues to work (90 miles round trip). Fine tune a few things and get her ready for this comming weeknds shakedown run to the little belts for opening weekend of bear season.
\
All four wheels bearings, seals ect. and rebuilt the knuckels. Changed all gear/motor oils, resealed and replaced the engine and changed the clutch. Flushed the brakes. changed the coolent, belts thermostate. all filters. mounted up the winch and bumper. mounted up the rear swing out bumper. (came off a short box that i built many years ago but not quit right for this long box. it will require some rear frame rail reinforcing after bear season.) fabed and welded a high lift mount for it. multiple fuel can holders. wired some cheapo 130 watt tractor lights.

All since fri night im pooped with a capital P. haha

I did source a perfect fibergalss topper woohoo and some 30 950 15 cooper stt's! (90% tread)

Next multiple batteries, bigger alt, rear sleeping/cargo area and a mild lift and as my misses calls it a "spout" ie arb snorkel before they go out of production for the early trucks.

good night all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3