Old Truck Suspension Question - KNOWLEDGE NEEDED

Stark in the Wild

Hi all,

I am the proud owner of a 1980 Ford F250 Custom. I bought it for very very cheap and it needs some suspension love. But as most of my classic car knowledge lies in old muscle cars I am looking for some knowledge. I crawled under the car to have a look at the leaf-springs and they don't look like anything I have seen before. One leaf above a spacer not touching anything and then two pieces below the pile of springs. Just need to know if this looks like a stock suspension for a Full Size Truck of the early 80's era? Any thoughts and/or advice is much appreciated and thanks in advance.

P.S. I know it needs some suspension work before heading back out to the trails...just trying to determine how to go about it best on a budget.

Attachments

• IMG_5570.JPG
    IMG_5570.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_5571.JPG
    IMG_5571.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_5572.JPG
    IMG_5572.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5573.JPG
    IMG_5573.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_5574.JPG
    IMG_5574.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 84

buellconvert

That's an upper overload spring...not sure if it's oem or not, but very typical of an F-250 of that vintage and those lower pieces are the lower contact points for the bumpstops mounted above...

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TwinStick

Explorer
It looks factory to me. One sure way (at least I think) is if the overload spring contact perch is riveted (not bolted) to the frame. Looks like rivets to me. My money says it is stock.

Stark in the Wild

Awesome thanks for the confirmation everyone! I figured it was an extra spring on top for heavy loads and hoped it was all stock. Now that I know that for sure time to do some upgrading. I appreciate quick help!

rayra

Expedition Leader
You can restore a better ride somewhat if you break down that stack and repaint and grease the stack. As long as your ride height and carrying capacity still seems good, you might not need to replace them.

Stark in the Wild

You can restore a better ride somewhat if you break down that stack and repaint and grease the stack. As long as your ride height and carrying capacity still seems good, you might not need to replace them.
Awesome thanks for the tip! After looking at the Ride Height I think thats exactly what I am going to do.

85_Ranger4x4

You will also be able to hear the overloads "clack" when they hit the stops going over bigger bumps at moderate speed which is normal.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Just be careful, Stark, it can be dangerous work. Especially as you try to recompress the greased leafs.
You might first try jacking the vehicle up by the rear frame, unload the suspension as much as possible and give the leaf packs a thorough application of penetrating oil. More than once. Not as good as takign it all apart, but might be enough to figure if it's worth the additional work of disassembly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk