OME 886s and Nitros

iRunUphill

So, I recently installed an ARB bumper and M9000 winch on my 09 DCLB Tacoma. Then I had the recommended OME 886 coils and Nitrochargers installed to give the front end the support it needs. Not sure what other people are finding with this set up, but it seems very harsh to me. I drove it offroad today and it was rough, particularly on washboard. I'm also noticing a lot of clunking on small sharp bumps and on the backsides of speedbumps. Sounds like something is loose down there.

Anybody have any suggestions, advice, experiences with this situation. I'm thinking I chose the wrong springs. Anybody running a heavy plate bumper and winch using the 885 coils.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Steve

Flagster

Expedition Leader
So, I recently installed an ARB bumper and M9000 winch on my 09 DCLB Tacoma. Then I had the recommended OME 886 coils and Nitrochargers installed to give the front end the support it needs. Not sure what other people are finding with this set up, but it seems very harsh to me. I drove it offroad today and it was rough, particularly on washboard. I'm also noticing a lot of clunking on small sharp bumps and on the backsides of speedbumps. Sounds like something is loose down there.

Anybody have any suggestions, advice, experiences with this situation. I'm thinking I chose the wrong springs. Anybody running a heavy plate bumper and winch using the 885 coils.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Steve

I have the identical setup on my 2005...IMO it is harsh as *******...I don't have a winch yet either and am either going to switch to an icon coilover or back down to the 885 springs...
I have lots of "noise" also...I attribute most of my noise to the loss of "downtravel"...I seem to bottom out the rebound very easily

ATL4R

I have the identical setup on my 2005...IMO it is harsh as *******...I don't have a winch yet either and am either going to switch to an icon coilover or back down to the 885 springs...
I have lots of "noise" also...I attribute most of my noise to the loss of "downtravel"...I seem to bottom out the rebound very easily

Yeah, the 886's are harsh. Have you tried the 887's? They are the same spring rate as the 883,884,885 but are a touch taller. They are the recommended spring for 2010+ 4Runner with bumper & winch. I have them on my 4R and they are not harsh with my LT tires.

Captm

Adventurer
I've have the 886 and Nitros on my 2005 dbl cab an initially had a "thunk" going over bumps. I assumed it was the shock topping out on the back side of the bump due to being over sprung. I figured with the extra weight of a bumper and winch it'll even out. Well a year later, still no bumper/winch, and I don't notice the "thunk".
Maybe I'm use to it or the suspension has settled in. I never thought the ride was harsh just truck like, whatever that is. Maybe Santa will bring the bumper/winch this Christmas. :wings:
Cheers

upcountry

Explorer
I have run 885s and 886s. I currenlty run 886s with an ARB Bullbar and a 12K winch on my 2007 Double Cab Tacoma. Prior setup was 885s with stock bumper.

After adding the 886s and ARB Bullbar bumper and winch I kept hearing a clunking noise on bumps, and started trying to chase it down. I eventually determined it was the hood. I added some rubber to the hood where it hits the stops (part of the latch mechanism) and the clunking stopped.

As a point of reference I never had any clunking with the 885s.

seanpistol

Explorer
I run 886's on 5100s set on the bottom perch. Never heard any noises. I love the combination, I wouldn't call the setup "stiff", I'd say it rides like a truck. A reason for going with the 886 over the 885 was I want to avoid sag as much as possible and would like to add some weight to the front in the near future.

someday

Adventurer
I just had OME 886's w/out spacers w/dakar leafs installed about a month ago. The ride is stiffer but I actually prefer it over stock. I unfortunately have some slight driveline vibration from 6-9 mph. Pretty disappointed because I specifically asked the vendor that I ordered from and they claimed I wouldnt have to worry about it. Now I have to trouble shoot or live with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater