OME Suspension for Rubicon 4 door

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I have always had Land Rovers but bought a 2015 Rubicon Unlimited new a few years ago. With my Rovers I had always used Old Man Emu suspension and was very happy with that set up. MY jeep is due for a new suspension but I don't want a lift or very little if any. My question is would the light duty OME kit give it a significant lift? I like the stock ride hight and don't want to start extending brake lines and other stuff, seems whenever I lifted a past vehicle it starts a cascade effect of having to deal with other issues and I want to avoid that. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I've installed an OME lift on a TJ, LJ, JK, and 4Runner. Averaged about 2" to 2.5" regardless of the duty cycle (light, medium, heavy).
Did you retire the 130?

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Hi Nathan, yes I sold the 130 last month, it was a hard decision and tough seeing it go but I just wasn't using it as much as I would have liked. I bought a Rubicon a few years ago and really like it and it's time for a new suspension. I guess 2 inches isn't too bad, I was worried it might not look good with 265/70x17 but it will probably be fine. I always liked the OME ride in my Rovers so figured i would do the same with the Jeep.

ratled

Adventurer
I have 2017 Rubi and weighed all the options like you as we have the same objectives. My final 3 choices were the OME 2", AVE 2.5" and the Mopar 2". I wound up getting a Rancho 2" four coil lift. It's called a lift but is more like a leveling kit. See my build link below for the full write up... I think it's on the last page of the thread. I am very happy I went this route and can recommend it for anyone who has the same or similar objectives. Drop me a PM if you need more info.

ratled

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Sorry that I can't speak for the OME, but I went with the AEV 2.5" when I found a good deal used and Ive been extremely happy with it. I'm still on stock BFG MT and think it looks fine.

I did end up eventually putting airbags in the rear springs to deal with my tendency to bring too much heavy crap. That made a world of difference with side to side roll at slow speeds and bouncing.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I did end up eventually putting airbags in the rear springs.... That made a world of difference with side to side roll at slow speeds .

Wow, sounds like I should get some airbags - my side to side roll is wild sometimes.

-Dan

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Dan - The springs you mentioned, I assume that is in 150/300 KGS constant load? Just wondering if you are running the heaviest duty springs. I do and they are really great. Concerning body roll, is your rear track bar stock or running at the stock location? Body roll for me settled down quite a bit when I added an adjustable bar (synergy) and a relocation bracket (what OME calls a panhard rod extension bracket).

NatersXJ6

Explorer
My intent is not to totally hijack the thread, but I really did benefit from the airbags. I used the Airlift 1000 series p/n 60818. Airlift wasn't super helpful in choosing a set, as their application system either requires you to know your spring dimensions or works only for stock trucks, so I did a bunch of google and placed my bet. The kit was only $92 delivered from Amazon, so I figured that I'm betting less than 2 tanks of gas and really can't make it worse. Of course, I'm traveling the wilds of suburban California, not deepest Africa, so Amazon is quick and cheap.

I personally believe that one of the advantages of an air spring or air assist such as a bag is that the spring works in compression but has no secondary oscillation after rebound. So you gain spring rate without the repeated bounce following a compression, and your shocks don't have to be massive to damp the massive spring.

All in all, they don't fit perfectly in my AEV 2.5, and I've only run them a month, but I've been really happy so far. I have a lot of weight up top, rack, tent, etc... Then I added a ridiculously heavy bumper/tire carrier with fuel, water, hilift, shovel... You all get the picture. After adding the bumper is when things got too floppy. I'll someday optimize and lighten the bumper, but I found a good deal on Craigslist and had to jump on it.

Justincredible

Adventurer
I would avoid the heavy duty unless you constantly carry a heavy load.

I went with the medium duty on my 2 door, because I tow my teardrop trailer a lot, but without the trailer they are stiff.
4 doors are heavier and would probably ride better on them

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I still haven't gotten around to buying new suspension but I think I will be going with OME light duty made for the Unlimited. I have zero aftermarket equipment on my Jeep and I tow a So Cal Teardrop that has a pretty light tongue weight. I think the heavy duty will just be way to stiff.

Nathan, if you are still following this, did you just ad shocks and springs or did you have to add anything else because of the added lift? Oh, I always did the work on my 130 myself, is it a pretty straight forward job?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Wow, blast from the past. Depending on who you buy from and the completeness of the OME kit, they come with things like extended length track bars, bump stops, etc... all bolt on. I’ve never had to use a spring compressor, just several floor jacks, pry bars and a buddy to stand on the hub to get enough articulation to install the springs and rotate them in to seat properly. It isn’t hard, but it can definitely take 4 hands and 4 feet to do.

I would recommend medium duty for you though. If you are camping with a trailer, you also have a load of gear in the boot, and all that mass behind the axle isn’t good for a light duty set up. Heavy duty is if you have steel bumpers, roof racks, plus gear, so medium would be about right. I’ve never met anyone who didn’t think the ride improved after installing OME.

Also look to your steering. Seen a lot of JK’s bust the connection of the steering linkage where it connects to the axle housing on passenger side. Seems to be a weak point.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Any recommended OME dealers? I haven't bought anything for my Jeep since i bought it 3 years ago so I don't know the Jeep aftermarket like I did the Rover aftermarket world. Medium sounds like good advice but I only saw heavy duty or light duty on the few sites I looked at, glad to know there is a medium option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater