on-board air

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Been a while since I have had to use my Viair (it's been the backup to my Warn OBA), but my recollection is that the hard-mount Viairs don't have a pressure switch, but the portables do come with a built-in pressure switch. My Viair is a portable, and I don't remember having to run it as a bleeder.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
If your pump doesn't have a pressure switch you will need to make sure you only use a open air chuck and not the closed design and air tools are out of the equation for sure. Now you could plumb your own pressure switch into the system if need be.
I really can't imagine in this day that a compressor would come without a pressure switch if for no other reason liability.
Like mentioned you may want to check on it tho.

Darrell

dman93

Adventurer
The Viair has a pressure switch. Independent of that, it sounds like there's no real standard so a gender-mender would be handy.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
There is a reason why manufactures will put a male end on the compressor output. KISS! They do not want the compressor to hold pressure when off. It is harder to start with pressure. The compressor may not have a pressure shut off switch.

Its also very easy to add an unloader valve. :ylsmoke:

Scoutn79

Adventurer
There is a reason why manufactures will put a male end on the compressor output. KISS! They do not want the compressor to hold pressure when off. It is harder to start with pressure. The compressor may not have a pressure shut off switch.

What about when you plumb it into a tank or put a hose on? Then you are retaining pressure irregardless of whether the male or female end is on the compressor.

Darrell

Robert Bills

Explorer
Been a while since I have had to use my Viair . . . but my recollection is that the hard-mount Viairs don't have a pressure switch, but the portables do come with a built-in pressure switch. . . .

Some Viair portable kits come equipped with a pressure switch and some do not.

For example, my Viair 400P portable kit (PN 40043) does not come equipped with a pressure switch and comes with the male connector on the compressor. The hose included with the kit has a female connector on one end and an open chuck on the other. Air always flows when the on-off switch is on. The user manual contains the following warnings:

"The use of a close-ended tire chuck will cause excessive pressure buildup if tire chuck is not attached to tire valve stem while air compressor is in operation. . . .

"IMPORTANT: Always use an Open-Ended tire chuck such as the tire chuck equipped on the Deflator/Inflator Coil Hose for tire inflation when using a compressor without an air tank."

The Viair 400P-Automatic portable kit (PN 40045) does come with a pressure switch. It also has the male connector on the compressor and the female connector on the hose. However the other end of the hose is equipped with a close ended tire chuck. The user manual does not contain the warning about not using a close-ended tire chuck unless attached to a tire stem, but instead reads:

"Your air compressor is equipped with a pressure switch (cut in at 120 PSI, cut out at 145 PSI). This feature is designed to protect the air compressor from over-pressure causing permanent damage to your air compressor. The pressure switch automatically turns off the motor when the internal pressure of the air compressor reaches the factory set “cut-out” pressure (145 PSI) and restarts when the internal pressure drops below 120 PSI. . . .

"This compressor is equipped with a poppet pressure release head valve. Head pressure will slowly decrease (pressure will be released through the intake port of the compressor) to allow smooth re-starts under pressure. If compressor’s is hooked up to power source and if the power switchis left in the ON position for more than 7 to 8 minutes, Compressor will automatically turn on for a short duration (3 to 5 seconds) to recover pressure due to built-in pressure switch"

Visually, the 400P and 400P-Auto compressors look nearly the same. One can see where the pressure switch connects between the air line and the end cap that contains the compressor wiring on the 400P-Auto, but it is not obvious at first glance.

400P:

400P.png

400P-Auto:

400P-auto.png

Bottom Line
: Although the convention with hard mounted compressors employing air tanks is to use a check valve and female connector on the compressor side with a male connector on the hose, the opposite is true with Viair portable compressor kits regardless of whether the compressor is equipped with a pressure switch. You need to know how your particular kit is equipped before reversing connectors or employing a close-ended tire air chuck. You cannot assume that your Viair portable kit has a pressure switch, pop-off safety valve or bleeder valve.

MOguy

Explorer
For those of you who want allot of air why not go with a belt driven compressor that runs of you engine. It doesn't get more powerful than that.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
For those of you who want allot of air why not go with a belt driven compressor that runs of you engine. It doesn't get more powerful than that.

I run the 10CI York. It puts out tons of air and if you up your idle with the GM TBI "A/C on" adjustment in the BIN it really puts out but they are much more difficult to mount on newer engines. Even the Sanborns are tricky to mount on new vehicles. That's one reason I love my '79 ScoutII...

Darrell

M35A2

Tinkerer
1.35 CFM isn't enough to keep up with air tools even with a 2 gal. tank. You will only get a few seconds of air for them. You would be better off running a smaller tank, such as the 1/2 gal. tank suggested by Frenchie, and buying a battery powered impact wrench. The problem with larger tanks was mentioned earlier - the additional volume is the equivalent of another tire or two, depending on size, so that you are effectively filling 5-6 tires rather than 4 every time you air up - however the larger tank still isn't enough to store enough air to fill a tire. A smaller tank will store enough air for an air horn and provide the necessary buffer to reduce stress on your compressor at start up and allow the use of an on/off pressure switch.

Hadley sells a 1/2 gal. tank, P/N H00626, that measures 5" x 7" (pictured below) and also a 1 gal. tank, P/N H00751N, that measures 5" x 14". I have owned both, The Hadley 1 gal. tank came with an 12v onboard air kit sold by Curry Enterprises in the late 1990's and was mounted in my jeep. It was plenty for my 35" tires and air horn. I acquired the 1/2 gal. tank used from an RV bone yard. It is now mounted underneath my Xterra - the only tank I could find that would fit the available space - and is plenty for 33" tires and air horn.

large_332_H00626.jpg

If you use the Hadley tank (great for air horns and not much else), be sure to mount it upside down so that moisture blows out. If you do not the bottom will rust out. I learned that almost 30 years ago (this product has been around forever).

jschmidt

Adventurer
You can't run a half inch impact off a two gallon tank. Five is barely enough if you don't mind waiting. I bought an 18v cordless half inch impact and never looked back.

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
You can't run a half inch impact off a two gallon tank. Five is barely enough if you don't mind waiting. I bought an 18v cordless half inch impact and never looked back.

I run my snap on 1/2 impact just fine on my puma with 1.5 gallon tank. It was enough to remove 6 lug nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues