Open to suggestions, new trailer buy - small off road worthy.

bshillam

Observer
I have over the last two seasons towed a small 8' off road square drop trailer. It's been my bed and back pack of sorts. I love having the additional storage as the Wrangler gets used to carry myself, my wife and daughter and finally dog. So the seats are taken up by people and dog, doesn't leave much room in the rear as we have a CFX. Having just a bit more storage allows me to travel and be sufficient for about ten days (other than gas when overlanding). With that being said I'd love to have some of the "stuff" moved from the rear of the Wrangler to the trailer. My kitchen set up is often some in the Wrangler with some in the square drop. I'd like it all in one location maybe a rear kitchen in the trailer? I'd also like just a bit more room as sometimes 8' just doesn't feel like enough. I have been looking at replacing it with another teardrop/squaredrop style trailer but am also open to something similar like a smaller sub 15' trailer. Granted the Wrangler stock has a tow rating of 3,500 lbs. We now have a 4" lift, run 37" tires with 5.13. I typically keep the Wrangler when towing between 3-4k RPMS and watch temps. The Wrangler also carries a RTT for sleeping. Future buy, I'd like to stay 30k or less. Have independent suspension, space for cooking inside or out, source of heat/AC (been down to 19 and up well above 100 degrees), definitely ground clearance as I off road this trailer. Last trip was over 700 miles off road. Thoughts, suggestions? How are the fiberglass units off road, like the Casitas?

Runmorun

Take a look at the NJSTAR. I and a few others on here have one. 30k all in very nicely equipped for your mission. 3300lb dry weight with kitchen, shower/bathroom, batteries and 350 watts of solar standard. It's an import, but if you are in CA happy to let you come check mine out.

I am currently half way through a 1600 mile road trip and it has performed perfect.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I have over the last two seasons towed a small 8' off road square drop trailer. It's been my bed and back pack of sorts. I love having the additional storage as the Wrangler gets used to carry myself, my wife and daughter and finally dog. So the seats are taken up by people and dog, doesn't leave much room in the rear as we have a CFX. Having just a bit more storage allows me to travel and be sufficient for about ten days (other than gas when overlanding). With that being said I'd love to have some of the "stuff" moved from the rear of the Wrangler to the trailer. My kitchen set up is often some in the Wrangler with some in the square drop. I'd like it all in one location maybe a rear kitchen in the trailer? I'd also like just a bit more room as sometimes 8' just doesn't feel like enough. I have been looking at replacing it with another teardrop/squaredrop style trailer but am also open to something similar like a smaller sub 15' trailer. Granted the Wrangler stock has a tow rating of 3,500 lbs. We now have a 4" lift, run 37" tires with 5.13. I typically keep the Wrangler when towing between 3-4k RPMS and watch temps. The Wrangler also carries a RTT for sleeping. Future buy, I'd like to stay 30k or less. Have independent suspension, space for cooking inside or out, source of heat/AC (been down to 19 and up well above 100 degrees), definitely ground clearance as I off road this trailer. Last trip was over 700 miles off road. Thoughts, suggestions? How are the fiberglass units off road, like the Casitas?

So with all your jeep modes it may be best to consider your towing capacity 3k with loaded trailer. This puts you at a trailer that is 2k dry. You might have a hard time finding what you want thar light

Markal

Hiker Trailer 5x10 foot, either the Mid-Range or Extreme model. I use a 5x9 Mid Range and it’s great but I wish I’d gotten the 5x10.

Attachments

• IMG_0831.jpeg
    IMG_0831.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12

chuckburt28

This may not check all your boxes, and they are relatively new and based in Canada, but Tactical Overland looks to be a promising contender in this overlanding trailer race. What sets them apart is that extra room to put your feet on the floor or sleep a dog or 2, but it's still a normal size squaredrop. I'm not excited about the amount of storage, but the kitchen is outside, and it is very lightweight and inexpensive when you convert Canadian $ to American $. I have spoken to the owner on the phone and he is very good to work with. They also are developing something a bit larger.

https://tacticaloverland.ca/

Bryrick, I have an acquaintance in Wyoming who has had a Casita for 10+ years, and he loves it. That said, he’s taken it back to Casita two times (that I’m aware of) for repairs. When I met him, he was laboring on a repair on their return trip from the second of those trips. He mentioned that much was attached with rivets, and that was part of the maintenance needs. He tows with a Gladiator.

I don’t have a recommendation, but am also interested in a small trailer.

Following

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly recommend “Teardrop NorthWest”.
Based and built in Salem, Oregon, they build a very high quality teardrop. Rugged, well-appointed, and run by good people.
Ours is the “Ranger” model…all in, we roll at 2200 lbs.
This includes a loaded galley, propex heater,hot water on demand shower with 11-gallon tank, Yakima box on top.
Tows like a dream, happily goes anywhere the GX can go.

Attachments

• IMG_1759.jpeg
    IMG_1759.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2156.jpeg
    IMG_2156.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 11

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Bryrick, I have an acquaintance in Wyoming who has had a Casita for 10+ years, and he loves it. That said, he’s taken it back to Casita two times (that I’m aware of) for repairs. When I met him, he was laboring on a repair on their return trip from the second of those trips. He mentioned that much was attached with rivets, and that was part of the maintenance needs. He tows with a Gladiator.

I don’t have a recommendation, but am also interested in a small trailer.

Following

The pre-2018 Casita's were notorious for failures on a handful of rivets, 3-6 in particular. These were remedied with new design and locations in the newer models. The few rivets that were prone to failing over rough terrain were easily accessible for replacement and one was replaced with actual hardware (nut/bolt). None of these rivet failures were major issues and are a drop in the bucket when compared to standard camper designs using staples, nails and screws.

@bshillam I have my 2024 setup for light off-road use and I have 100% faith in the design and its durability. FGRV's are some of the strongest campers money can buy. It'll never be a Kimberley off-road but that's not how I plan to use it either.

W9wNtsk.jpg

k4XvnSt.jpg

CpjzWOb.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3