Opinions Needed

huntsonora

Explorer
UPDATE:

Turns out the blow by is a vacuum issue and easily resolved. Also, the o-ring on my dipstick was not good due to age so I dodged a bullet there!

I am going to keep the Dodge regardless of what happens with the Tacoma

As for the Tacoma, per a conversation I had with the salesman I made an offer of $13,400. He called me back and said that the sales mgr now says they have to have $13,900. I politely said thanks but no thanks and he tried to sell me on the fact that its "only $500" for a clean truck. I told him that that goes both ways and its "only $500" if they really wanted to sell it tonight. I'll let them marinate on it, I'm sure they would like to sell it before the end of the year which means tomorrow would be the day.

He also tried to tell me there was a guy driving over 100 miles to see it today but it was a blizzard here most of the day so I think he's blowing smoke. If the guy did drive 100 miles then Iguess he wants it more than I do. I'll know tomorrow

You guys think I'm just being too stubborn? I probably am but I would rather just drive the Dodge everywhere than have some sales mgr tell the salesman "I told ya so"

Silverado

Adventurer
take that 13.5k and make the dodge perfect! :coffeedrink:
You have already fixed the shortcomings of your truck's drivetrain (KDP and 5th gear nut).

sorry! had to say it

Toyotas are overrated ond severely overpriced for what they are. The salesman is full of ********, treat them like every word out of their mouth is a lie.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Toyotas are overrated ond severely overpriced for what they are.

Actually, no, they are not over rated. There are lots of great trucks out there. Toyota just happens to make some of the better ones.

Huntsonora... Glad to here you are keeping the Dodge! I see the Ramcharger is back up for sale too:elkgrin:. Apparently some registration issues... There are lots of clean Tacos around, so stick to your offer! If they want to sell it, they will call you today. I bet they do!

SFROMAN

Adventurer
That toyota is a very nice truck. Your dodge is pretty nice to. If I was single and did not need to carry heavy loads and haul my other rig I would buy and build up that tacoma and be done with it. It is a proven truck.
I own an F250 crew cab and for me it works out great for what I need it. My truck pulls like a tractor and rides like a cadilac. My family and I (I have 3 kids) use my truck when doing road trips and we have plenty of space.
The diesel has never given me any issues and do the preventive maintenace so it can last a long time.
The truck is big and therefor has its limitations. Its not going to go where a jeep goes.

Like mentioned before, If you dont have to tow and need to carry more passengers comfortably, the toyota truck is going to be your best choice.

Either way you will have 2 nice trucks .

cwsqbm

Explorer
I understand the desire for a crew cab, but I'd rather sit the middle seat of the Dodge than the back seat of the Taco. I just plain don't fit back there.

Plus, I miss having a 3/4-ton truck - I've got a crew cab Dakota now, and while the interior is room, the bed size sucks and towing a 5000 lb trailer is more noticeable.

You guys think I'm just being too stubborn? I probably am but I would rather just drive the Dodge everywhere than have some sales mgr tell the salesman "I told ya so"

Only when dealing with a very rare vehicle is walking away ever the wrong choice. I've had salesmen pull the same line on me many a time, and the vehicle was always there when I went back. I'd actually walk in today and say "today's offer is $13,300, since the guy yesterday obviously didn't want it for some reason and I'll be the only one likely to buy it this year."

Last edited:

Terrainist

Explorer
Good decision to keep the dodge no matter what. There really isn't any comparison to a toyota, there aren't in the same league.

huntsonora

Explorer
take that 13.5k and make the dodge perfect! :coffeedrink:
You have already fixed the shortcomings of your truck's drivetrain (KDP and 5th gear nut).

So how would you go about handling the front end and suspension. I'm going to keep the truck no matter what and if I don't end up picking up the Tacoma I will definitely address the other issues with the Dodge sooner rather than later

bftank

Explorer
kore 3.5" leveling spring and shock kit, $400 if i recall

front axle, dana 60 weaknesses are unit bearings and central axle disconnect.
-spintech and dynatech both make a kit to fix the unit bearings.
-several axle companies sell a solid replacement for the cad.
-heavy duty balljoints, ballistic fab
-arb air locker

or

-swap in a ford leaf sprung, kingpin, dana 60 using ford leafs, arb, cmperformance machine brass bushings, ballistic fab high steer arms, warn premium hubs. but this requires fab. blakeape on here did this to his dodge and seems to like it.

-35" cooper stt. awesome tire. steel wheels.

rear axle
-bilstein shocks for the rear axle.
-arb air locker
-air bags
- gm brake booster for drums will improve braking, or go to discs. actually just go to discs. or pic up a dana 80 with discs on it.

motor
-4" exhaust
-big honking air filter
-slid fuel plate

good solid winch bumpers with a spot to attach gin poles.
12000lbs winch
flat bed
poptop camper
wvo conversion. work on building biodiesel processor.
air compressor and tanks

that is how i would do it, if i was setting it up as a hunting rig, here in colorado anyways.

Last edited:

sjester

Observer
HuntSonora

If you rebuilid the front end/suspension I suggest converting to the "T" steering as opposed to the "Y", buy all the parts for a 98-99 2500 those were the only years it was offered but it is a direct bolt up (I just did it). I can't speak highly enough of the Thuren adjustable trackbar and a DSS (steering box support) for firming things up on the front end. I'm on my third 12 valve and getting the front end beefed up is really all I have had to spend time and effort on for my application (other than KDP, resealing vac/ps pump and other known maintenance concerns with the engine.)

chasespeed

Explorer
I will second the 99 steering linkage, and the DSS. The DSS alone did wonders for my truck, and I only had 285s on it at the time....

Mine went too long though, and I need a new steering box now... I think...

I put a posi-lok in mine, getting rid of the vacuum CAD.

There is a build on pirate, showing a set of D60 knuckles off something(I dont remember off the top of my head), and everything needed to swap it in....

Get rid of the Dodge links, and get something tubular, just about anything will be an upgrade.

For the engine... hmmmm... tough... mine is pretty healthy, custom injectors, different turbo, etc etc etc... I am going to be ordering a new injection pump next month(WAY TOO MUCH MONEY), which , will be dialed better for the current set-up(of course it will need to be fine tuned), but, it goes on and on.... basically, at this point, I am more worried tearing up my D70...

So, for the engine... MY thoughts.... 4in turbo back(with or without muffler), a BHAF, or similar, and adjust the plate and aneroid a LITTLE. And leave it alone. After that, it becomes an expensive balancing act...

Chase

CJW

So how would you go about handling the front end and suspension. I'm going to keep the truck no matter what and if I don't end up picking up the Tacoma I will definitely address the other issues with the Dodge sooner rather than later

The question is what do you need out of your truck besides fixing the front end parts. I know these guys are having fun spending your money for you, and all of the parts they've mentioned are good, but....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism