Options for windows in overland build

iac27

I'm looking for people's opinions on their experiences with insulated window options for vans or other overland vehicles. Arctic Tern seems to be the most popular in North America. What are people's favs and what would you change about your existing window? I'd be using it for either a van or a FRP habitat, undecided at the moment. Cross posted in the MB forum as well because they use FRP habitats.

Seitz
Tern
Outbound
KCT

Thanks,
Ian

iggi

Ian
A buddy of mine imported a set of windows direct from the manufacturer in China. Other than slight differences in the combination blind/bugscreen they look like the Tern Overland but at about 50% of the cost.
I'm still completing my build so no real performance report. They look great and despite large amounts of snow and ice have yet to leak at all.
Bunch of pics from the install on my instagram. https://www.instagram.com/bob.the.campulance

rruff

Explorer
I have a Dometic on the front which I guess is a Seitz? The others two are single pane glass sliders, one on each side. No experience with the fancy windows!

I don't want windows that get scratched by branches and thorns, because that happens a lot. A double pane maybe raises R from 1 to 2? Still not that great. If you are in a really challenging cold condensation environment, I think you'd want special covers that seal over the window and its frame.

iggi

Ian
I have a Dometic on the front which I guess is a Seitz? The others two are single pane glass sliders, one on each side. No experience with the fancy windows!

I don't want windows that get scratched by branches and thorns, because that happens a lot. A double pane maybe raises R from 1 to 2? Still not that great. If you are in a really challenging cold condensation environment, I think you'd want special covers that seal over the window and its frame.
Fair point on the acrylic windows. You can order the same windows essentially but in tempered glass.
The built in curtain seems to provide both more insulation and a larger thermal gap.

iggi

Ian
I'm not seeing that as an option from them. Do you have a link to where these can be bought?
Tongfa is the name of the Chinese manufacturer. They mostly supply to builders but you can find them on AliExpress and Alibaba.

Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 8.01.29 PM.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater