OR-FAB rear tire carrier

CRD4Liberty

My dad's used Jeep came with one already installed. It carries the highlift, etc. very well and is still pretty quiet compared to some others I've been around. We pulled it off this spring to get at some rust, before it got out of hand, and I didn't see any metal stress or puckers to speak of on the tub.

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
CRD4Liberty said:
My dad's used Jeep came with one already installed. It carries the highlift, etc. very well and is still pretty quiet compared to some others I've been around. We pulled it off this spring to get at some rust, before it got out of hand, and I didn't see any metal stress or puckers to speak of on the tub.

I heard from an owner of one and they said that it seemed very sturdy and well built. Basically attaches through the body, to strong tie in's....

ox4mag

Explorer
goodtimes said:
I have always been concerned with accessories attached to the sheet metal (yes, I read the above posts regarding this particular application, but read on...I have a point :)).

One way to help mitigate the stress created by this style of mount (attaching things to sheet metal) is to simply mount some steel corners (PSC, Warrior, etc), then mount your accessories to the steel corner. This will spread the load out over a MUCH larger area.

I also like the idea of having 3 mounting points (two hinges and one latch) rather than the traditional single hinge and latch.

I agree with this assessment. It's kinda like when rock climbing a multi-pitch route. 2 cams is good; 3 cams is better. It's always better to have more protection than you think you may need because if you are on the trails and hit a rock or bump just right, it could certainly be painful to your rig without the added protection of steel corners. If you're looking for steel corners, check Rokmen out:

www.rokmen.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk