Oshkosh, Military 6x6 firetruck

98sr5

Observer
thats a big friggin truck it costs 5000 thats probably like 10 full tanks for that thing lol

milo12

Adventurer
With the engine in the back it looks like there is only about 12-15? feet available in the center. Neat rig but maybe not too practical to strip down and build a camper on.

tamangel

Adventurer
more info...

can't find any info on the model quoted "BP7".. What I do find are pics of a P4 model..

from this site:

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Oshkosh/

from a Austrailian site:

OSHKOSH P4 CRASH, FIRE, RESCUE TENDER
The Oshkosh P4 6x6 Crash, Fire & Rescue Tender was introduced into RAAF service in the mid 1970s. This rear engined vehicle carried 5,700 litres of water. It had two remotely controlled nozzles - one was mounted on the front panel and the other on top of the cab. The Caterpillar 1693TA (Turbocharged/Intercooled) 6 cylinder in line 14.6 litre engine developed 425 horsepower, giving the P4 an amazing turn of speed, despite its gross weight of over 21 tonnes.

Mike

Saline

Adventurer
I've often thought about how cool on of these trucks would be as an expedition rig. Thing is they are just too wide. I drive an 2004 Oshkosh Striker at my part time ARFF gig. Very powerful, roomy,smooth riding, stable (very stable at 85+ mph) and awesome visibility, but it completely fills up an interstate lane at takes forever to bring to a stop.

PirateJohn

Saline said:
I've often thought about how cool on of these trucks would be as an expedition rig. Thing is they are just too wide. I drive an 2004 Oshkosh Striker at my part time ARFF gig. Very powerful, roomy,smooth riding, stable (very stable at 85+ mph) and awesome visibility, but it completely fills up an interstate lane at takes forever to bring to a stop.

Your are absolutely right, and you need to watch the widths of some of these vehicles if you are interested in them.

8'6" wide is the maximum legal width on a Federal highway (some states may still have the old 8' limit on their secondary roads) and many airport fire trucks were built wider than that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh