other vans

eagle1

Observer
Has anyone considered using a minivan other than a astro/safari or syncro?I have often thought of using a chrysler van.Granted tires and other traction aids are virtually nonexistant,however I have gotten my parents town&country through snow my truck would have trouble with(on snow tires,touring tires on van).I think with good tires and a brain a person might be ok

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
While not strictly a "Van", the Ursa Minor eCamper on the Honda Element, is particularly awesome (and John is a member here). They can do both AWD and FWD Elements now, and the multi-function interior is very cool. I almost went down this road but I wanted true 4WD with a low-range for my application.

GTRV has also converted Toyota Siennas and I believe some of the Chrysler variety of minivans. These are, at best, light-duty vans because they're front-wheel-drive, complete unibody, and very light-duty. OTOH the mileage is fantastic. You probably won't be able to do any sort of lift easily (other than perhaps a strut-body lift), so underbody clearance will be an issue, but if you're limiting yourself to fire roads and the like and not trails, then you may be OK.

I've heard a lot of bad things about the AWD system in the Sienna, so if it were me I'd rather do a RTT on a Subaru or maybe an eCamper Element before I tried to take a Sienna too far away from its "Soccer Duty" origins.

If you aren't too concerned about readily available hi-top or pop-top capacity, then people have proven that just about any vehicle can be overlanded. Once I saw pictures of those French guys who took a 2CV more or less around the world, I lost all pretense about what you "must have".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat