Our Colorado backcountry adventure in a rental Sportsmobile

haven

Expedition Leader
I hope we see more companies renting fully equipped campers close to desirable vacation areas. I always cringe when I read a trip report that begins, "After 30 hours and 1200 miles of driving, we arrived in Colorado..." So much easier on parents and kids to fly in.

It doesn't make financial sense to have a $100k Sportsmobile depreciating in your garage, waiting to be used a couple of times a year. Better to fly in and rent.

Scoutman

Explorer
I hope we see more companies renting fully equipped campers close to desirable vacation areas. I always cringe when I read a trip report that begins, "After 30 hours and 1200 miles of driving, we arrived in Colorado..." So much easier on parents and kids to fly in.

It doesn't make financial sense to have a $100k Sportsmobile depreciating in your garage, waiting to be used a couple of times a year. Better to fly in and rent.

Thanks all. I agree it's a very expensive toy for the average person to have and only use once in a while. This one fully loaded was closer to $150k. If I were retired or working a seasonal job where I would get to spend more time out in it that would be different. Different strokes for different folks I guess but in the mean time this was a great option for us. I know we would have lost close to 5 days (2.5 out and 2.5 back) just getting there which wasn't an option for us.

We literally just brought clothes and personal items. Everything else was already included in the rig or didn't matter which really simplified the week for us.

pmatusov

AK6PM
Yes, near-instant gratification. Somewhat unorthodox suggestion from an Expediton Portal Moderator.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
Great report! I've always wanted to rent a Sportsmobile, but this thread is the closest i've ever come to that. Thanks for sharing!

dsm02c

Adventurer
Thanks for the write up scoutman, as a new parent it's great to see how people are getting out with their kids... I am sure the sportsmobile makes it just a little more comfortable and easier for everyone...

Scoutman

Explorer
Thanks for the write up scoutman, as a new parent it's great to see how people are getting out with their kids... I am sure the sportsmobile makes it just a little more comfortable and easier for everyone...

We think it did. It was nice having the space to spread out while driving and the convenience for road side breaks. The main challenge (as with any moderate sized overland vehicle) is when you have 4 bodies moving around you have to find your rhythm otherwise everyone is bumping into each other and there's just not enough space. The more you can function outside the better. I could see having a screen room attached to the awning to extend the living space outside more. That would make a huge improvement especially where kids are involved.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Ah what a great trip! I had to break out the maps and follow along with you on this adventure. We will be visiting Colorado in a week and a half, unfortunately we will be "those people" driving 1350mi from Canada with two little kids, but hopefully there is more to see along the way than just corn fields, on the way back we are doing the south Dakota tourist traps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater