Our trip to SW Colorado 8-08

clarkrw3

Observer
Well we got back from Colorado last night (hope everyone going to Payette didn't get caught in horrible traffic there was miles of stopped traffic getting into Payson.) It was a long drive back from Crested Butte about 14hrs. This was a great if bittersweet trip. We had a good time and almost all of us got the stomach flu which seriously limited our exploration. We spent 4 days in Durango/Silverton/Ouray/Telluride and then drove to Crested Butte via Lake City and spent 3 mostly sick days in CB.
Also on the drive up my CV front drive shaft started going out getting increasingly loud from Shiprock to Durango. I haven't been very religious about greasing it, did grease it just before the trip but I had done too much damage. I took it out and found a lot of stiffness. This was Friday and so I put it back in and called/emailed/pm'd Christo. Well it got louder and after talking to Slee on Monday he sent me out another one to CB that was there for me when I arrived. Slee cautioned me that I didn't want it too cut loose under there and after Blackbear it was getting VERY LOUD and so we stopped in Telluride for lunch and I took it out and locked the central diff switch and went 2wd for the rest of the trip to CB. (I did check and couldn't find a drive line shop that was open or had parts.) After the new shaft it was smooth sailing.

DAY 1 On Sat we spent the day lazy and in the afternoon drove up to Clear Lake just outside of Silverton. Clear lake was Great....

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

Makalu testing the waters

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

clarkrw3

Observer
More from Clear lake
Cruiser enjoying the tundra
ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

Day 2 Sunday was spent on the Historic Durango and Silverton train. My son loves trains and we all had a great day

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

clarkrw3

Observer
Liam and Emma had fun running around Silverton

ry%3D320

Day 3 We got an early start and headed over to Black Bear pass. The plan was to do BB and Imogene pass but since the drive shaft went out and I took it out at Telluride and it was raining and the natives were restless we took the long way around and drove the black top back through Ouray.

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

clarkrw3

Observer
ry%3D320

ry%3D320

Finding out what the steps are about

ry%3D320

My Dad and Mom finding out what the steps are about...and enjoying the white knuckle veiw

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

The infamous ROCK...now pushed to the outside but quite a squeeze

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

bridal veil falls....always wanted to climb this in the winter and never got the chance. But its beautiful anytime a year.

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

clarkrw3

Observer
Great views on the Road back "million dollar hwy"

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

Day 4 in RWD we headed off to Crested Butte via Silverton and Animas Forks and then over Engineer Pass and through Lake City

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

At Animas Forks we took a right rather than left and ended up on California Pass...

Wouldn't be CSC without getting lost right?:steer::bounce::bounce2:

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

Well back to Animas

ry%3D320

clarkrw3

Observer
Next just down from Engineer Pass we found our dream cabin:grinpimp::grinpimp:

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

Then on to Lake City, a nice little town with very little food and LARGE NO DOG signs on all grass areas...so the dogs stayed in the back and the kids enjoyed the run of the town

ry%3D320

Then on to Crested Butte and getting very familiar with the condo bathrooms. Emma started the trip just getting over being sick and My dad, wife and I ended the trip sick. My dad threw up for the first time since he was a sophomore in high school...so to say the sickness was bad is to put it mildly. We did get a short trip in in CB but not much, great town though. Got the drive shaft in and everything was smooth on the trip home. But for the most part those three days were waisted:mad::mad::mad::crybaby:

clarkrw3

Observer
Well I got some upload from CB

We took a short trip up Gunsight pass and found some water to play in.

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

do you notice anything odd about this photo?
ry%3D320

ry%3D320

My mom doing her first stream crossing....my dad wasn't up to driving.

she did GREAT:princess:
ry%3D320

Even the OLD man enjoyed the water and trip Crom is going on 13
ry%3D320

We kept an eye out for the locals and saw quite a few... we are happy to report none ended up in the engine bay...long story:hhmm:
ry%3D320

clarkrw3

Observer
Overland Hadley said:
Yes, it is not that often that somebody does a water crossing in reverse.
Yes...but anything for the camera. My wife said do it again I need to get a better angle. :smiley_drive: :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal