Over Budget & Out Of Time Fleet Rebuild

Magnum Johnson

Observer
I have a build thread already started over at WTW (http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/8291-let-the-fun-project-begin/) and I figured I would share over here too.

I ended up picking up my Fleet early this year and have been saving up for the new side liner and lift panel rebuild parts. I came to the realization that I probably overpaid for the camper (still got a deal) but it does have a good sold body and a fairly clean newly reupholstered interior. I thought I could get away with just making new lift panels and replacing the cab over wood but its never that simple. Its no where near done yet but at this point its at least usable and I want to get out there and do that much so that when it comes time to redo the interior I will at least know what I do and do not want or need.

After a closer inspection I decided that the front of the vinyl was just too water damaged and brittle to try to repair so I took the plunge and ordered a new side liner from ATC.

I also ditched the 03' CA reduced output Auto diesel for a more simple and much better IMO 01' 6spd Manual HO non emissions truck. So far I have absolutely no regrets after the "downgrade" but I do miss the more responsive CRD in the 03' but nothing beats 19.5MPG with the camper on in the 01' (15-16mpg on the 03')

subterran

Adventurer
Sweet! Thanks for the photos. I may have the canvas replacement in my future, and your pix give me courage!

ripperj

Explorer
Nice work, enjoy. I wish mine was usable. Things always are more complicated / expensive than they appear up front, it's like a law :)
Re the post title, exactly where I am with my Alaskan rebuilt. I could have used it the day I brought it home, but choose to gut it, insulate, added cassette toilet,shower and extend the cab over for north/south sleeping with storage. Maybe it will be ready for next year:)

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Magnum Johnson

Observer
Thanks for the kind words guys! I have been busting my *** on this thing a little bit everyday but its finally to the point where I have everything working. Unfortunately I wont have time to do the wiring I need to do until I come back but it could be worse. Next up will be figuring out what we like and don't like about the interior so we can rebuild it to something better, add a exterior shower, and rebuild or replace the beat up old door.

House battery charger connected using old audio cables. I plan to make this a lot cleaner but im not sure this is going to be a permanent battery area anyway. Also please ignore that rustic looking fuse block I have http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P6FTHC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to replace it but didn't get to it yet.

Old receiver platform recovered from the yard at my Dads and put back into service with new paint and fresh wood.

Roof resealed.

I had zero time to mill this out this but did it anyway.

Bungee closures added (correctly??). Thanks to ATC for ignoring both of my Emails asking for some sort of direction, at least I had Google image search to help with the install.

Rot Box

Explorer
Good work it looks great. I've due for new sides here pretty soon.. On a scale of 1-10 how tough was it to install them? Looks like a pain haha :Wow1:

Magnum Johnson

Observer
On the one to ten scale, for me and my lack of wood working experience, it was about a 7/10. If I had more time it wouldn't have been as bad but that and crusty old rusted hinges made it a challenge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk