Over heating!!!

Viggen

Just here...
Get a scan gauge and get the exact temperature they are running at. The factory gauges are notoriously inaccurate.

-Sam

Moreso in the D2 than a D1 though. D2s have a tendency to be way off. D1, not so much. One easy way to check the radiator is with a heat gun. Measure the temp of the water going from the inlet side to the outlet side. There should be a sizable drop in temp. If there isnt, then go the radiator pulling route.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I have an After Market Temp gauge so I know right where my timp was. I was pulling over a 230 leting it drop to 200 then Drive till it got to 230 again. it would take to about 20 min to get back up.

pinzmog

It sounds crazy but my '97 Discovery, about 1 out of 10 times, will send the temp gauge straight up to the redline when I put the heat/ac fan on position 4. If I notice it and cut off the fan, it immediately drops to normal temp or rock bottom if I just cranked it up. Now I have to worry it might actually run hot one day and I will think it's just an electrical fault! I've also lost my taillights when the headlights are on now, but they work when in the park position............Oh the JOY's of Rover ownership!!!! :wings:

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
My truck was having overheating problems and it turned out to be a bad
gasket on the radiator expansion tank cap. Changed the little rubber gasket
and no more problems. Also check the temp sending unit connections to make
sure your not getting funky readings.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I thought about that but Both my after market and stock gauge went up. I was stopping when the factory gauge started to move.

Another thought came up while thinking about your problem that wont solve an issue but maybe help diagnose. I bought a inexpensive inferred thermometer from Harbor Freight that at least helped me get a good idea of the what coolant temp actually is. I keep it in the glove box of my truck and it has come in handy a few times with helping friends and it also keeps the kids amused.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
When Im Pulling the Readeator should I also dran the block??? Also I have Read that some people have troble geting all the air back out of the system when they go to fill it back up. Any tricks I should try?

roverjay

See if you can borrow a hydro-carbon tester from some one. It is a gift when diagnosing rover head gaskets.

Snagger

Explorer
Unless you find evidence of an external leak, Id suspect a head gasket failure between a bore and a coolant passageway. Hopefully it's the gasket and not the head or block.

I have just replaced the rad and water pump on my 300Tdi RRC, and had a little trouble bleeding all the air out afterwards - I refilled it cold through the header tank, rad bung and thermostat bung, and then ran it for five minutes or so to circulate the coolant, topping up the levels again. using the car the next day was fine, but the day after, the heater matrix produced occasional gurgling noises, particularly when the engine rpm was changing significantly. The header tank level was fine, but the thermostat housing was dry, so I topped it up through its bung again. This has needed doing twice more, but the system is now purged. The engine temperature has been absolutely normal throughout, so the gurgling is more of an inconvenience and annoyance than a threat - it doesn't take much air to do it.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Well I got the radiator out today and there was defiantly some sludgy stuff in it. I did however find know oil!!! I also found what might be the source of my leak. There was some corrosion that looks like a coolant leak on the top driver side of the unit. Also I think I need a new cap for the expansion tank. I’m going to take the radiator to get boiled and pressure checked on Monday. If I do have a leak I hope they can braze it, but we will see. I think that the K-seal in combination with the radiator needing cleaned was why it was starting to over heat. Fingers crossed. The Radiator cam out really easy! A plus for sure!

David Harris

Expedition Leader
radiator was @#$! rotten!!! Had to get a know one!!! how that Fix it!!!

Don't buy a new one. Have yours recored instead. You'll get better quality than an aftermarket radiator most of the time and for less money. Yours is a D1, right?

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
Did a search and came up blank. What’s the easiest was to purge all the Air about of the cooling system? Something about geting the Truck on an Incline right???

thanks

Nate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven