Overcome by Overland...Slow Expo Dodge Ram 2007 Build!

rbgerrish

Nee-nuu Nee-nuu!
I can no longer resist the urge to begin Expo'ing my Dodge. It's like some horrible wonderful virus that consumes my thoughts! Anyhow, I'll be starting slow and mild, but I wanted to track my progress with an official thread. Here's what I'm planning: (It's a 5.9 2500 6 Speed, 44k miles.)

- Front protection, most likely an ARB, with an extra skid to protect the diesel bits.
- Skids, perhaps power wagon or custom.
- Bed drawers and sleeping platform, lights, onboard air and water.
- Rear bumper with dual swing aways, fuel rack and cargo box.
- Cargo rack

I'll be building the rear bumper. As much as I love the Aluminess unit, I cant spend that much. I've already ordered the joints for the swing aways.

I've thought about an ICON 2.5" leveling/suspension kit, but I cant decide yet.

Here's the truck stock:

2144742170_ca3111ce79_z.jpg

Then I scored an ARE Commercial canopy on craigslist for $300. It's got "Taco Truck" sides, mesh security grating over the windows, and some insulation. I'll be adding more. the stock Michelins are terrible, so after much research I went with Hankook Dynatrac ATMs in load range E, 285's. Love them!

5281777906_7f810851da_z.jpg

5426992181_907766326c_z.jpg

6025972015_ac1a5d26a0_z.jpg

Up next is building a better bed platform (I have a temporary one in there now), and planning the rear bumper.

Thanks for looking! Love the forum!
Ryan

D

Deleted member 9101

Nice score on the camper shell...gotta love craigs list!!!

sdwhip

Observer
Nice truck. I'll be watching your build and future comments on your tires as the Hankooks are one of my main considerations on tire choice for my 2500 next spring. If they continue to do well or if you have any negative experiences with them post your comments.

rbgerrish

Nee-nuu Nee-nuu!
Nice truck. I'll be watching your build and future comments on your tires as the Hankooks are one of my main considerations on tire choice for my 2500 next spring. If they continue to do well or if you have any negative experiences with them post your comments.

Thanks! I did a bunch of searching, and the Discount Tire website has many reviews of these Hankooks on Diesel trucks, mostly very positive reviews! So far they have done quite well in rain and normal street driving, and a bit of sand.

colodak

Adventurer
someone in the Toyota section did a really nice buildup of a commercial topper like that, heavily modifying it to allow for a RTT and other items to the topper

Love it. That camper shell is awesome, especially for $300. I little bit of extra height without being huge and very sturdy so you can mount whatever you want on or in it. The only downside I see to it is no screened windows... which could always be changed.

rbgerrish

Nee-nuu Nee-nuu!
My plan was to have the back half of the space under the sleeping platform contain the auxilary power, air and water systems, and the front half (closest to the tailgate) be slide out drawers. I'd like to run air quick-connects to each side of the canopy to be accessed through ports, like this:

6029650484_c7fa5c267f_z.jpg

Same with the water, although maybe just one side.

I plan to build a cargo rack to go around/over the canopy, and have it incorporate light mounts, tool mounts, tie downs, awning and all that.

6029650560_c6dffe33d2_z.jpg

The mog is our 404 Doka:

6026528078_1cc80b4393_z.jpg

Thanks!

Fish

Adventurer
A couple of things to think about. First, I second the recommendation for Thuren or Carli. Oh, and last I saw Thuren's website had not been updated in some time. His Facebook page was just started today. He now has an "overlanding" kit, as does Carli.

You're planning to sleep in the shell and build a swing away tire carrier. How will you close the tire carrier when you're in the shell? Or, if someone closes it on you, how will you get out? I have a very similar set up and have been pondering that question. I do occasionally stealth camp in my truck and can't figure out a good way to deal with a swing out.

lstzephyr

wanderer
When I camped in the back of my dodge I just climbed through the cab/cap window to get into the back. That way there was no outside sign that I was even in the truck.

rbgerrish

Nee-nuu Nee-nuu!
A couple of things to think about. First, I second the recommendation for Thuren or Carli. Oh, and last I saw Thuren's website had not been updated in some time. His Facebook page was just started today. He now has an "overlanding" kit, as does Carli.

You're planning to sleep in the shell and build a swing away tire carrier. How will you close the tire carrier when you're in the shell? Or, if someone closes it on you, how will you get out? I have a very similar set up and have been pondering that question. I do occasionally stealth camp in my truck and can't figure out a good way to deal with a swing out.

I'll look into the "overlanding kit" offered by Thuren and Carli, thanks!

The swing-away I'm building will hold fuel cans on one side and probably a locking box on the other for my generator.The spare is staying under the truck. I'm going to try to keep the boxes low enough so that the rear hatch of the canopy can open with the swings closed... We'll see how planning goes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__