Overland/Camping Vehicle for Family of 6

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Excursion.

Fam of 5 here finds 80 & 100 too small for extended/long trips.

SilverBullet

Explorer
Our family of 5 uses a Navigator, but not off road. For the overlanding, I woul dlook into a Expedition (som ehad 3 rows) or maybe a Sequoia/FJ80.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Our family of 5 uses a Navigator, but not off road. For the overlanding, I woul dlook into a Expedition (som ehad 3 rows) or maybe a Sequoia/FJ80.

Yeah, we had a 2003 expedition with 3 rows. It was actually VERY comfortable for me and another person in the 3rd spot. I'm a big dude, too.

AND...

you still have a respectable amount of room behind that 3rd row. Easily swallow 3-4 medium size duffels.

Roktoys84

Adventurer
Hmmm. Can't think of anything at the moment...:rolleyes:

I've carried 7 people with luggage comfortably (without a thule box on top). You could easily put a thule box on the roof with 6 bikes, and another 4 on a thule rack in back if needed (we often each bring an all mountain and a downhill bike). All in all, its a pretty versatile little rig.

You're starting to make me van envious. I almost have my van hating wife talked into an Astro...

Airmonger

Adventurer
Hmm, this is going to be my wife's dd, she is opposed van (adamantly) and is not to keen on xl suburban's but if she wants 4 kids then she is limiting her options. Im thinking a diesel excursion would be the best. Obviously I would be sacrificing offroad capability but thats the nature of the beast. Id like a new land cruiser but I doubt I could find a used on in my price range given how new they are. This may require a fleet of vehicles!

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
... or you could try one of these! :snorkel:

TexansHunting10.jpg

TexansHunting3.jpg

TexansHunting5.jpg

TexansHunting6.jpg

Texans understand! :sombrero:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I find it interesting that so many people suggest the FJ80. I few months ago, I thought that would be the hot ticket after I had to sell the LR3, so I checked it out. WAY small. The middle seat is not very generous, with not a lot of legroom, and the jump seats in the back, while decent sized, completely eradicates all room in the back for gear. The FJ100 was better, but only a little bit. Definitely more comfortable middle seat row in the 100 series, but again, with a full load of humans, not a lot of storage room. I would have gone that route though, if the wife had let me :)

Here's another shout out for the Armada:

585368353_qctuf-XL.jpg

585368210_kuQxG-XL.jpg

PhyrraM

Adventurer
A budget wasn't specified, or how old of a vehicle. But a possible trailer was.

If the budget is tight, one of the less expensive was of getting into a capable, reliable rig is a mid '90s Montero SR. Most seem to have the 3rd row and the SR models have a factory locker. Going price seems to be from $3000 for a '95ish to about $7000 for a '99ish.

Same story as many others though....limited room behind the 3rd row when up.

Airmonger

Adventurer
No real budget other then it cant be a new landcruiser or rover, but used is possible. I like the nissan armada , they seem a little more off road ready then the sequia.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
No real budget other then it cant be a new landcruiser or rover, but used is possible. I like the nissan armada , they seem a little more off road ready then the sequia.

That's hard for me to say. The design of the interior of the Armada is much better, but the construction of the interior is probably not as good as the Sequoia. Both are independent suspension setups. I don't know what the Sequoia's 4wd system is like. The Armada has shift on the fly 4wd, and a true low range transfer case, with traction control, but no lockers. The off road version of the Armada (there is a package thus called), has a e-locker in the rear diff I think. There are several lifts available for both. If you want to go big, ProComp even has a 6" lift for the Armada.

I removed all the low hanging add on bits, such as rigid plastic flaps, side steps, air dams, etc... and it did the Mojave Trail just fine. Granted, that is not a hard trail, but there are a few challenges to the approach and departure angle that posed no problem. It is a ball in the sandy river washes. Nothing accelerates like an Armada.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I think this much is clear, and you'll need to make a major decision before continuing a search:

With 3 rows of seating in service, you're either going to need a mid-size truck, like a Disco2, LR3, FJ100, Armada, etc AND towing a trailer to carry the gear. OR, you're going to need a FULL SIZE truck, like the Excursion. That's the only way you'll have enough room. I doubt you could get all your gear on a roof rack on a mid-size.

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Diesel Suburban.

• Lots of aftermarket support
• An acre or roof for RTTs and gear
• Receiver platform if you need to carry more gear
• Kitchen on sliders behind 3rd row of seats
• SUV tent attached to the back and you've got space for your kitchen under cover

Quick setup/teardown.
No trailers to mess with.

Have fun and post pics.

Cheers,
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__