Overland Ready

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Robert,

It is nice to see you over here on Expo. Your knowledge will be a welcome addition. I don't spend much time over on JU and the others anymore.

BajaTaco said:
Glad you liked the site Robert.

Thanx Chris....you should also thank Mario. He gave me a couple copies of your magazine when I picked up my trailer so now I have a call into your offices to start a subscription. Nice work there...I was hooked immediately.

Beowulf said:
Robert,

It is nice to see you over here on Expo. Your knowledge will be a welcome addition. I don't spend much time over on JU and the others anymore.

Thanx an yea....I am waaay way done with some of the chest thumping sheeple on those other boards and I even pulled down all my overland prep tech off of one of them as it didn't seem to be appreciated. I apparently have a few *friends* that seem to be very irritated over the fact that I have changed directions on 4 wheeling. Oh well....sucks to be them AFAIAC...LOL.

DakarTJ

Observer
robert j. yates said:
Thanx an yea....I am waaay way done with some of the chest thumping sheeple on those other boards and I even pulled down all my overland prep tech off of one of them as it didn't seem to be appreciated. I apparently have a few *friends* that seem to be very irritated over the fact that I have changed directions on 4 wheeling. Oh well....sucks to be them AFAIAC...LOL.

Sheeple... ********.

Like I said, I am glad to have your knowledge and insight here.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
robert j. yates said:
Thanx Chris....you should also thank Mario. He gave me a couple copies of your magazine when I picked up my trailer so now I have a call into your offices to start a subscription. Nice work there...I was hooked immediately.

Ha! That's great! Thank you for your support! I will definitely thank Mario. I seem to thank him for something every time I see him. He's a good guy.

SavageSunJeep

Adventurer
BajaTaco said:
Ha! That's great! Thank you for your support! I will definitely thank Mario. I seem to thank him for something every time I see him. He's a good guy.
LOL small world...the other day I come out of the Home Depot not far from my house here in Scottsdale and I open up my Jeep door and there are a couple of mags laying in the seat with a card from Brian McVickers, telling me "nice Jeep and M101 trailer".

I keep reading and rereading the mags, guess I need to start a subscription too...either than or Robert will have to start shipping me his left-overs :jumping:

Robert is so right about the "chest thumping" wheelers on so many boards that seemingly have the right answer for EVERYTHING. This is ok if you are right, but more often than not they are NOT...

The there is the group who go out and if they DON'T break something then it was not a successful outing and of course only those who break are real wheelers. Sorry folks, but if I break I am embarrassed and mad at me for not engineering better or doing more maintenance on my rig.

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
Gas Mileage Whoose

I feel your wallet pain bro. I run a 03' Rubicon that runs a Kenne Bell supercharger that runs about 300hp. Plenty of get up and go for the hills and certainly run with unburdened traffic, trouble is like you-even with a NV3550 5-speed stick-4.10 gears rolling on 33x12.50x15 BFG MTs, I average 10-12 pulling my trailer.
The only hope I have found after pulling my trailer all over Nevada, Cali, and Az is to lighten the load wherever possible (no water or fuel till the last town before I leave the pavement) and drive max 65 mph. If I run 80 I get 8mpg!
I doubt a V-8 would do any better than this, though I know no one in Tucson running a V-8 legally.
Best of luck-loved your pictures.:arabia:

SavageSunJeep

Adventurer
BajaTaco said:
Small world indeed :) Nice website you have with lots of info. I enjoyed the article on cooling systems and fans.

Thanks Chris.

That seems to be a real issue with all offroaders from the desert here in AZ to folks in Canada. What I feel is there is much misinformation out there and more often than not the "silver bullet" meat to fix the problem only seems to make it worse.

I am trying to clear the air a little bit...

You guys going to SEMA this year? Wife and I plan on going.

Last edited:

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
Power and Performance vs. gas mileage

I too am a fan of performance and power, especially when attempting to tug a offroad trailer up long inclines. Typically our tall fat tires and certainly our flat windshields (D80, 90 included with Wranglers) don't help with drag. The equilavent of shuving a brick down the road can only equate to one truth. It takes real power to run down the highway with a lifted Jeep/LR D80-90 over 60mph pulling an Offraod trailer that most likely is a brick itself. So one truth comes to mind. There is no free lunch. Performance costs.

After all the efforts and expense I know I have spent I now I ask myself repeatedly...was it worth it to run with "traffic?" My usual answer is a resoundingly a "YES." Times when fuel is hovering around $3-3.50/gallon for premium, I ask myself this question more oftern. I keep reminding myself that I do drive a sport vehicle NOT MENT for mpg as I see hybrids sharing the highways and byways now. I find myself laughing everytime I'm next to a diesel 4x4 pick-up lifted 10" ridding on 40's...wonder when the last time he was off-road? I always wonder how well they crawl over trails?

SavageSunJeep

Adventurer
RunninRubicon said:
I too am a fan of performance and power, especially when attempting to tug a offroad trailer up long inclines. Typically our tall fat tires and certainly our flat windshields (D80, 90 included with Wranglers) don't help with drag. The equilavent of shuving a brick down the road can only equate to one truth. It takes real power to run down the highway with a lifted Jeep/LR D80-90 over 60mph pulling an Offraod trailer that most likely is a brick itself. So one truth comes to mind. There is no free lunch. Performance costs.

After all the efforts and expense I know I have spent I now I ask myself repeatedly...was it worth it to run with "traffic?" My usual answer is a resoundingly a "YES." Times when fuel is hovering around $3-3.50/gallon for premium, I ask myself this question more oftern. I keep reminding myself that I do drive a sport vehicle NOT MENT for mpg as I see hybrids sharing the highways and byways now. I find myself laughing everytime I'm next to a diesel 4x4 pick-up lifted 10" ridding on 40's...wonder when the last time he was off-road? I always wonder how well they crawl over trails?
There are some tricks to hauling the load and staying with the traffic. As I transition from rock crawler to expedition Jeep, I am going to decrease my tire size from 37 in to 35 in diameter. I run 4:88 gears and by dropping down to a 35 in tire I will get my rig deeper into the upper part of my torque band for highway driving and pulling my trailer.

Lawrence

Adventurer
Don - We have the same transmission, however I am minus the SC :( I am running 4.88s and 35s, and I am fairly happy with the combo. Without the trailer, it is a dream. With the trailer, it is still good, but I can feel long grades.

Don + RunninRubicon - I have been contemplating a supercharger to make the Jeep a little more "fun". I am leaning toward KB for the price and the good stuff I heard about. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to drive a KB supercharged TJ. I drove the Adventure-Innovations and it was very nice, however the biggest problem is that it is not CARB certified. Any issues with running hot with the KB/Avenger? Anything you would have done differently?

SavageSunJeep

Adventurer
Lawrence said:
Don - We have the same transmission, however I am minus the SC :( I am running 4.88s and 35s, and I am fairly happy with the combo. Without the trailer, it is a dream. With the trailer, it is still good, but I can feel long grades.

Don + RunninRubicon - I have been contemplating a supercharger to make the Jeep a little more "fun". I am leaning toward KB for the price and the good stuff I heard about. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to drive a KB supercharged TJ. I drove the Adventure-Innovations and it was very nice, however the biggest problem is that it is not CARB certified. Any issues with running hot with the KB/Avenger? Anything you would have done differently?
Lawrence,
Of the SCs out there the KB is prob the best. The Avenger which I run is the same except it does-not have the 'puter re-flash. That said I am not totally sold on that as I see it as a potential problem. One of the folks here did the KB and its re-flash then out of the trail it went poof...this meant getting off trail in "limp home mode". He towed it home then pulled the 'puter and shipped it back for re-flash. Yes it has worked right and great since then, but I prefer not to muck with my 'puter. All you are doing is optimizing the power. It produces all the power I need now.

Yes it will run hotter with a SC. That said, not a big deal as I have solved those issues and now run cool/normal and 87 octane year round. Depending on where you live you might want to add a OEM 7 blade fan...

http://www.savagesun4x4.com/oem_7-blade_tj_fanclutch_in.html

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
All superchargers are not created equally

I researched KB and Avenger and talked to several people before the purchase. I came up with one answer loud and clear. Avenger has very poor after purchase support. KB folks were and have been great with ANY question I ever had because frankly I have had NO PROBLEMS. You must surrender your ECU to KB to burn an adjusted fuel ratio algarythm into. They send it back to you w/much larger fuel injectors BEFORE they send you the blower. This keeps you from destroying your engine with a too lean configuration I not afraid to tell you, you will get with the Avenger. Place a boost gauge on the Avenger and the KB. Best I've seen personally on the Avenger is 3.5lbs of boost. The KB 6lbs as advertized. KB has real dyno numbers ran on an 03' rubicon (same as I have) that show stock rear-wheel horsepower is 146. KB is 68hp more and something like 165lbs of torgue more. That's as much as a 4.8L Chevy V-8 (a medium size small block-same as KB says your engine will run like){Avenger is vague and hard to read}. I liked the truth in advertizing and service after the sale, options for more horsepower for those who want OTHER THAN 50state legal emissons and a Air Research Board certification number you get to put under your hood for the emissions folks in your town. (Tuscon and Phx must pass the same emissions levels as LA) I have ran my KB blower for about 30,000 miles w/o an issue and KB even sent me a free t-shirt and synthetic blower oil to change my blower oil when I called with questions...and got REAL answers.
Both systems cost about the same but one performs and one does not. One has you run a 160 degree thermostat (KB) and one doesn't (?). (Incidently don't do this w/o a reprogrammed ECU or you get a "check engine light") I run a large front bumper w/a winch and fog lights in the air flow to the grill. I NEVER overheat even here in Tuscon with the a/c on and 115 degrees outside. Understand I keep my mantenance up and I run premium in the heat to avoid pinging (very rare). KB only recommends you run premium. Listen to the manufacturer. You just spent $4K on a blower why skemp on fuel now!?
I could go on and on as a very happy customer. Ask Mario how he like his Avenger..(oh boy){NOT!!}. Incidently, subtract about two seconds on 0-60 times and Yes, it will easily run to the speed limiter built into the ECU that Jeep put in because of the DOT tires we run that have a 109mph maximum. Need more info call mike at KB and talk to him. Tell him Joe Gordon recommended you can him first. They will treat you right. They are good guys that know what they are doing. Been doing it a long long time.
Incidently, facts right from KB's website 283 hp at the flywheel, 385 ft lbs of torgue.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design