Overland The Third. ARB WJ inside!

Lecoq

Explorer
The time has come for another build to start. Sadly, I had to sell my 4Runner. Life got in the way and some difficult choices were made.

For those interested on a little background, here's the 4Runner Build: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/101452-Mr-Rooster-gt-4th-Gen-4Runner-build

Now with the Overland.

After owning the R50 Pathfinder, it was clear to me I needed more power and aftermarket support. I then bought the 4Runner, powerful V8, tons of fun parts for it and reliable. Having learned a great deal from both I set out to find something with loads of power, solid axles front and rear, aftermarket support and the ability to be a comfortable daily driver for the family.

The two vehicles that came to mind were the 80 series Land Cruiser and the WJ Grand Cherokee. Having purchased a Honda Odyssey for the wife, I felt that the 80 Series was a bit too big. The decision was made easier by the fact that I work for a Jeep dealer.

2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
4.7L V8 high output
QuadraDrive
All the factory skids
Factory rock sliders
Tow package
Tow hooks
RB1 navigation

On to the pictures.

First day I got it:

After much research I settled for OME HD springs all the way around and Bilstein 5100 series shocks. I also picked up some take off wheels from a 2012 Rubicon. Here's the result of the combination.

I installed an ARB High Output compressor under the hood and took it out for it's maiden voyage.

Pulling out it's first Toyota :elkgrin:

Getting into trouble in deep snow:

Getting a much needed winching out by my buddy's XJ:

Last edited:

Lecoq

Explorer
Got around to installing a 6 inch light bar I had kicking around since last summer. I'll leave it there until I get a front bumper or roof rack.

Some testing in the neighborhood.

Headlights only:

Headlights and light bar:

Not bad for a small combo light. Stay tuned for more. :smiley_drive:

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Super nice GC. We looked hard at an Overland a few years ago, but my wife said, "It's TOO nice for you!" She may have been right, since we use the LJ like a workhorse on the farm. The WJ is a near perfect platform for what most do with a vehicle and the extra of it being an Overland was a great choice. Good luck with it, looking forward to how it goes.

John

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
Great platform.......!!

A friend of mine was looking for some type of 4dr family exploring veh and after research he bought a similar veh and it is awesome. His Jeep is a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Hemi V8 and 3rd Gen Quadra-Drive skids tow- hooks etc

Good luck...

Lecoq

Explorer
Super nice GC. We looked hard at an Overland a few years ago, but my wife said, "It's TOO nice for you!" She may have been right, since we use the LJ like a workhorse on the farm. The WJ is a near perfect platform for what most do with a vehicle and the extra of it being an Overland was a great choice. Good luck with it, looking forward to how it goes.

John

Nice find. It is almost too pretty (lol) but a trip to Moab should fix that right up.

I had the "too nice to go offroad" feeling on the 4Runner. I definitely felt the pain when I damaged the rear hatch. I see all the guys going out with their new trucks and I understand that at the end of the day it's just a machine. This time around, I just chose a cheaper machine to fix.

That was a really nicely setup 4Runner. Can't wait to see how the WJ build goes.

I'm hoping the knowledge from my 2 previous build helps me get things done properly the first time around. It's a lot more cost effective when upgraded parts don't need to be upgraded.

Septu

Explorer
I'm hoping the knowledge from my 2 previous build helps me get things done properly the first time around. It's a lot more cost effective when upgraded parts don't need to be upgraded.

I thought that too... and while I've done good on a few things (holding off on the lift till I get the exact one I want - MetalCloak), bumpers and such, I'm still in it for over 10k and have barely done anything to it (33s, bumpers, winch, snorkel, lights). Basically the big stuff I've managed to do right the first time... but it's all the smaller things that have nickel and dime'd me.

Lecoq

Explorer
I know what you mean! Everything seems to be at least $1k. Adds up fast. I find supporting mods the worst, (compressor, dual battery kit, fuse box), you can't really see them to justify having spent the money but you're glad you have them when it's needed.

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
Nice WJ. I love my ZJ for the same reasons you got your WJ. Your 4Runner was nicely setup to be daily-able but also capable offroad so this WJ should be great. What exactly does the Overland edition come with besides a sweet badge? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpat30

Adventurer
Great Choice on the Overland. I have always thought that the WJ is a great platform for expedition wheeling, although I might just be a little biased:) I also went with OME HD springs all around and will soon be adding Bilstein 5100s to replace my Skyjunkers. I think that it is the perfect suspension setup for a DD that also sees some offroad. Nice color to btw. What are your plans for it?

madZJ

Observer
Nice dub. I recently put an OME HD lift with Bilsteins on my '02 Overland, love the ride. Now i just need to get a set of summer tires for her.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I had the "too nice to go offroad" feeling on the 4Runner. I definitely felt the pain when I damaged the rear hatch. I see all the guys going out with their new trucks and I understand that at the end of the day it's just a machine.

The first time I took my current jeep offroad I hit the rear over hang behind the rear wheel and bent it up and bent the rocker panel. We got out of the jeep and my 18 year old said, "Well, now it looks like YOUR jeep" All part of the game.:)

Good luck with this build. Great start.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp