Overland The Third. ARB WJ inside!

Lecoq

Explorer
Finally got the Jeep back from the driveline shop. Got them to build me a custom double cardan rear shaft for the QuadraDrive transfer case (247). I still have to adjust the rear pinion angle upwards. Also had a chance to install the JKS front disconnects.

Took some time today to get the RTT mounted.

Really happy with how it turned out. Wish I had time to test it out. Hopefully in the next week or so. There's still lots of little things I want to add to it. LED interior lighting is on top of the list and I will raise the tent 1/4 inch from the Thule bars so I can tuck in the cover underneath.

Lecoq

Explorer
Still lots of things to be done. I need to make some time to take it on trips. Building it is half the fun. :)

Lecoq

Explorer
Took the Jeep and the family for a week trip to British Columbia. It was a good chance to visit some friends and family and to test the new setup. We went from Calgary to North Vancouver then on to the ferry across to Nanaimo. From there we drove all the way to Tofino for a few days and some surfing. We then made our way to Parksville for some more camping before heading to Victoria. From there we went back to the mainland for a day before returning home.

It was a great trip for the most part. Jeep performed well in very hot weather.

On with some pictures.

Found a spot for the propane cylinders

Some serious heat on the drive through BC- I believe this was in Kamloops

On board for it's maiden ferry voyage

On the ferry

First night camping

View from the campsite

On the beach

Kids enjoying the water

Even the dog got to sleep in the tent

Port of Tofino

Found a spot to have lunch on Kennedy Lake

Island road

Lecoq

Explorer
Getting ready for another night of camping

All packed up again

LED light for the ladder worked pretty well

Beautiful island sunset

Lecoq

Explorer
Here are my thoughts on the current setup I have.

Happy with:

-Tent was large enough to have the 4 of us in it and the dog
-Tent was surprisingly warm even on colder nights. Condensation sheet on the ceiling worked great and dried up quick during the day with the windows open
-Rear IRO HD springs were comfortable, sagged a little with all the weight but handled great
-Rear Addco sway bar worked wonders on the twisty mountain roads-very stable
-Lighting was great with the LED strip under the tent
-Fridge did a great job of keeping all the food cool even when parked in the sun for hours with the windows closed

Not happy with:

-Tires...They look so good but the noise level on long highway drives was almost too much. I know it's to be expected with mud tires but the wife and I both thought it got to be too much over an hour on the road. I'm replacing them this week.
-Exhaust. Way to much drone noise coming from the Magnaflow muffler. It got pretty annoying on the highway as well. Getting change this week as well.
-Gearing ratio. It's something I need to change as soon as possible. The stock gearing just can't handle all the extra weight and the larger tire size makes it very slow on long hills (reminds me of my R50 Pathfinder).
-Suspension needs to be looked at again and back to the drawing table. Way too much bump steer in the front. The front is also really choppy over bumps. Long arms are in the near future as well.
-Tent mattress is a little too thin, I plan on adding another inch or two of foam over it.

Already looking forward to the next trip. Especially with the fixes getting done.

Now for gearing ratio, I'd like to hear some opinions. I know with the tire size I'm running I should be running a 4.10 but I'm wondering if 4.56 might be better with the extra weight. I'm looking for a good balance between power and drive-ability.

xwazmtb

Lost and Found at the same time.
Here are my thoughts on the current setup I have.

Happy with:

-Tent was large enough to have the 4 of us in it and the dog
-Tent was surprisingly warm even on colder nights. Condensation sheet on the ceiling worked great and dried up quick during the day with the windows open
-Rear IRO HD springs were comfortable, sagged a little with all the weight but handled great
-Rear Addco sway bar worked wonders on the twisty mountain roads-very stable
-Lighting was great with the LED strip under the tent
-Fridge did a great job of keeping all the food cool even when parked in the sun for hours with the windows closed

Not happy with:

-Tires...They look so good but the noise level on long highway drives was almost too much. I know it's to be expected with mud tires but the wife and I both thought it got to be too much over an hour on the road. I'm replacing them this week.
-Exhaust. Way to much drone noise coming from the Magnaflow muffler. It got pretty annoying on the highway as well. Getting change this week as well.
-Gearing ratio. It's something I need to change as soon as possible. The stock gearing just can't handle all the extra weight and the larger tire size makes it very slow on long hills (reminds me of my R50 Pathfinder).
-Suspension needs to be looked at again and back to the drawing table. Way too much bump steer in the front. The front is also really choppy over bumps. Long arms are in the near future as well.
-Tent mattress is a little too thin, I plan on adding another inch or two of foam over it.

Already looking forward to the next trip. Especially with the fixes getting done.

Now for gearing ratio, I'd like to hear some opinions. I know with the tire size I'm running I should be running a 4.10 but I'm wondering if 4.56 might be better with the extra weight. I'm looking for a good balance between power and drive-ability.
A recommendation on a true that might interest you is the the Bfg All terrains kos (not sire on the ko2s) I have a set of 235/75r15s installed on my 1997 zj and I've driven from Boulder Colorado to Moab Utah about 475-500 miles and then wheeled moab all with 1000 pounds of camping gear in the back and fire wood and these tires were a little noise but really nothing bad. Maybe a little bit (20-30%) louder than the street tires I previously had on bfg long trails. And then once aired down to 17 front and 20 psi in the rear then gripped better than even my friends 35" mud terrains (which were insanely loud rolling down the highway at 65+). I have also wheeled them in mud and in snow as well on granite rocks out were in the Rockies. They are truly the best tire I have ever used and i highly highly recommended them for and overland vehicle or a trail vehicle.

jpat30

Adventurer
Lecog,

Your jeep looks great as usual. I can only hope 1 day mine looks as nice. As far as your front suspension; the reason you are catching heck is your means of lift (2 in spacer/OME HD coil). Any lift of 4 inches or more on a WJ really requires Long Arms and appropriate size coil springs. Additionally, some of your issues may be your front DS as well. Do you have a double Card up front? At 4 inches plus, this becomes a necessity on the WJ as well. These rigs just weren't engineered to run that size of lift very easily or cheaply. The rear end though does well on factory short arms with 4 inches. The front is the limiting factor on these rigs. The jeep looks great though once again. Good luck and happy exploring!

Lecoq

Explorer
Thanks guys.

I'm getting a set of BFG KO2 installed today. I went with the same 265-70-17 size but a load range C this time.

As far as the suspension goes, I'm looking at Clayton long arms and I will most likely get new springs for the front to get rid of the spacers. I have a factory double cardan driveshaft already (I think it was standard on the Overland models). I looked at other long arms kit on the market and I might as well get the best the first time around. Re-doing the suspension every few months is getting old and tiresome. I'm looking forward to having it all dialed in.

jpat30

Adventurer
Good call on Claytons; definitely agree on doing things right the first time around. Any more thought to regearing? I too am at that crossroad. I have done my fair share of research; a thousand internet threads/ phone calls to gear shops/ talking to other enthusiasts. Everything i find is that 4.10s are just right for an auto trans and 32 inch tires.

Lecoq

Explorer
I'm leaning toward the 4.10 as well. Seems like the best balance. 4.56 would be overkill for my current setup. But it does leave room to grow, although I'm not sure I'd want bigger tires at this point but that might change in the future.

Lecoq

Explorer
New BFGoodrich KO2 are on. First impression on the drive home was that I can definitely feel the weight difference when braking and accelerating. The main reason for getting them was to get rid of the excessive noise. They are very quiet even at highway speed. I'm very pleased with them so far. If they're anything like my previous sets of TA/KO I'm sure I'll be very happy .

The only thing I am disappointed with is the lack of rim protection the older All Terrains had. Not sure BFG went without them on the new design...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp