Overland Truck Build?

rruff

Explorer
So at the moment we are leaning towards keeping the FWC Project M and getting the F150 regular cab, 4X4 with factory rear lockers and dealer installed and warrantied front Torsen lockers/LSD from the Raptor. Payload is 1,650 - 1,790 depending on set up.

Check page 4 and 5 here: https://madocumentupload.marketinga...89bdc36c935eee0738c1766b95df28b2e64a&v5=False

I can understand shying away from the F250... it's tall and heavy relative to the F150 and has a wider turning circle. But if you are buying a new truck, I think it'd be wise to get the HDPP. Unfortunately it looks like you need to get the long bed with either the 3.5l Eco, or 5.0... but the payload is over 3,000 lbs! If you opt for the super cab and long bed, that drops to ~2,750 lb.

Make sure the truck and camper have enough space for your needs. If you take long trips, being cramped can get annoying. I really like the supercab for storing heavy and outdoor stuff.

I wouldn't worry about a winch... or a lot of other recovery equipment. Shovel, trax, couple good tire pumps, patch kit, tow strap.

phsycle

Adventurer
Two thoughts:

- With the f150 reg cab and FWC, you’re going to be over payload. Combo that yields best payload in reg cab is a 5.0 (6,400lb GVWR, ~1,800lb payload so prob 1,600lb once built and weighed). Think hard about the romantic idea of minimalism and the harsh reality of real life. I’d go Supercab for the space, comfort, and much better GVWR.

- I like the idea of a winch, especially if you travel alone. I’d take that over a front lsd. We’ve cleared trees, rocks, got unstuck, helped others get unstuck, etc. I’ve been in situations out in the desert where we’re good one minute, then a downpour turns the road into a mud fest, slipping and sliding everywhere. Easy to get stuck. So I’d get one for sure. You get better GVWR with a 5.0 anyway, so as much as I like eco boost, that’s the way I’d personally go (if you’re going to stick with a half ton).

Payload GVWR figures

D

Deleted member 9101

I have considered the intercooler swap but I'm sure that would immediately void the warranty on pretty much the whole motor so maybe after the first 36,000 miles. Also, the ones I have seen move the intercooler up to allow for a winch mount but then block a portion of the radiator, possibly creating overheating issues. I am in Arizona and average summer temps are over 100F.

It seems overlanding build planning is solve one problem create a new one.

It can only void the warranty on the intercooler, not anything else.

I'm 100% sure you won't overheat. There are guys running 600 RWHP that use them and they usually don't see temps above ~205°. You'll never create the EGTs or cylinder temps that they do.

Grassland

I second a 6.2 F250 and with the 4.30 rear ratio.

I own a 12th gen F150 and just my topper, tires, skids, etc eat up 300# of payload (remember the garbage P rated tires that weigh 31# are included in the curb weight, throw on 55# tires that's near 100# gone)

Reg cab Short box trucks are awesome on a trail or driving around town but they don't have the payload for heavy hauling, nor do most configured F150.

Have you also drove a reg cab 6.75 box F250 as a comparison?

As well, driving characteristics empty and fully laden will change "fast, nimble, comfortable" to "slower, wallowing, and tiring" quickly.

If you stick with an F150 then HDPP is the way to go and good luck finding one without a special order or dealing with fleet.

D

Deleted member 9101

I second a 6.2 F250 and with the 4.30 rear ratio.

I own a 12th gen F150 and just my topper, tires, skids, etc eat up 300# of payload (remember the garbage P rated tires that weigh 31# are included in the curb weight, throw on 55# tires that's near 100# gone)

Reg cab Short box trucks are awesome on a trail or driving around town but they don't have the payload for heavy hauling, nor do most configured F150.

Have you also drove a reg cab 6.75 box F250 as a comparison?

As well, driving characteristics empty and fully laden will change "fast, nimble, comfortable" to "slower, wallowing, and tiring" quickly.

If you stick with an F150 then HDPP is the way to go and good luck finding one without a special order or dealing with fleet.

I'm pretty sure if you get the 10 speed with the 6.2 is negates the need for 4.30 gears, unless the OP wants to run large/heavy tires or tow a heavy trailer while having a small domicile in the bed.

rruff

Explorer
With the f150 reg cab and FWC, you’re going to be over payload. Combo that yields best payload in reg cab is a 5.0 (6,400lb GVWR, ~1,800lb payload so prob 1,600lb once built and weighed). Think hard about the romantic idea of minimalism and the harsh reality of real life. I’d go Supercab for the space, comfort, and much better GVWR.

If you go reg cab and long bed (or SCab and long bed) you can get the HDPP, and get a payload of ~3,000 lbs. AFAIK Ford is the only one who offers anything like that in a 1/2ton.

The OP could put a big storage locker on the flatbed with the camper, instead of getting the SCab.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
What axle comes under the rear of the HDPP 1/2 ton? Do we know?

HDPP or not, I would never trust a non-full float rear axle for the purpose being discussed.

Two thoughts:

- With the f150 reg cab and FWC, you’re going to be over payload. Combo that yields best payload in reg cab is a 5.0 (6,400lb GVWR, ~1,800lb payload so prob 1,600lb once built and weighed). Think hard about the romantic idea of minimalism and the harsh reality of real life. I’d go Supercab for the space, comfort, and much better GVWR.

- I like the idea of a winch, especially if you travel alone. I’d take that over a front lsd. We’ve cleared trees, rocks, got unstuck, helped others get unstuck, etc. I’ve been in situations out in the desert where we’re good one minute, then a downpour turns the road into a mud fest, slipping and sliding everywhere. Easy to get stuck. So I’d get one for sure. You get better GVWR with a 5.0 anyway, so as much as I like eco boost, that’s the way I’d personally go (if you’re going to stick with a half ton).

Payload GVWR figures

Ford makes life difficult. I have looked at the published GVWR and payload numbers but unfortunately they do not line up with the real world. On the lot looking at GVWR and payload stickers they are frequently over (by a little) what Ford lists as the maximum possible in the technical specs sheet. Yet no one can tell me WHY they are off and what specific equipment makes the difference or what else can I add to lift the GVWR/Payload.

Additionally, they have so many options and packages and different ways of putting together a vehicle to order it makes it impossible to know what the true maximum payload you could possibly get on any given configuration. The online build system is different from the computer system in the dealer lobby which is different from the system the sales guys use which is different from the one the fleet guys use.

like most things in life right now all of this would be easier without Covid. Doing most of this on the phone, texting photos is not conducive to getting anything out of the ordinary.

Thinking about waiting.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Ford makes life difficult. I have looked at the published GVWR and payload numbers but unfortunately they do not line up with the real world. On the lot looking at GVWR and payload stickers they are frequently over (by a little) what Ford lists as the maximum possible in the technical specs sheet. Yet no one can tell me WHY they are off and what specific equipment makes the difference or what else can I add to lift the GVWR/Payload.

MFGs fell into this "payload trap" years ago, and all it really does is cause confusion.

Payload is nothing more than max GVWR minus curb weight. Its really that simple.
But that also makes it IMPOSSIBLE for a MFG to determine the actual payload before the truck is built and optioned out.
They can set the max GVWR, that's easy. But small variances in the actual weight of parts and options create a payload impossibility.

You can have two seemingly identical trucks, side by side, same build, same GVWR, with different (actual) payloads due to weight variances.

phsycle

Adventurer

Additionally, they have so many options and packages and different ways of putting together a vehicle to order it makes it impossible to know what the true maximum payload you could possibly get on any given configuration. The online build system is different from the computer system in the dealer lobby which is different from the system the sales guys use which is different from the one the fleet guys use.

like most things in life right now all of this would be easier without Covid. Doing most of this on the phone, texting photos is not conducive to getting anything out of the ordinary.

Thinking about waiting.

Yup, which is why I always go way conservative over the brochure payload figures. I know this is counter-intuitive on this site, as most here view payload numbers like Californian stop signs - more suggestion than a rule.

Just verify payload via yellow sticker in the door jamb on similarly equipped trucks before pulling the trigger. My Tacoma’s were pathetic at ~900lbs. Tundra crewmax is 1,200. Yet, plenty are hauling FWC’s on them. Makes me cringe.

phsycle

Adventurer
What axle comes under the rear of the HDPP 1/2 ton? Do we know?

HDPP or not, I would never trust a non-full float rear axle for the purpose being discussed.

HDPP w 5.0 is 3.73.

I still say F250/350 makes more sense. 6.2 or 7.3, plenty of payload, larger gas tank, and HD parts for longevity with the camper permanently on. MPG really won’t be that much different than 5.0 or 2.7 with it loaded down. You also get better ground clearance and ability to fit bigger tires without a lift as well.

But city driving would take getting used to. Although with a rig like that, why spend any time in the city???

Grassland

Do they make the F250 Reg cab with 6.5 bed in Canada? I can’t configure one here in the states.
Just tried on the builder, apparently not
I guess previous gen it was an option but no more.
Reg cab 8' is shortest option.
Supercab 6.75" has 3" longer wheelbase than F150 Supercab 6.5' box so other than turning radius difference due to solid axle etc and a taller rise height, should be useable

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
HDPP w 5.0 is 3.73.

I still say F250/350 makes more sense. 6.2 or 7.3, plenty of payload, larger gas tank, and HD parts for longevity with the camper permanently on. MPG really won’t be that much different than 5.0 or 2.7 with it loaded down. You also get better ground clearance and ability to fit bigger tires without a lift as well.

But city driving would take getting used to. Although with a rig like that, why spend any time in the city???

Again, what AXLE is under it. I dont care about gearing.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yup, which is why I always go way conservative over the brochure payload figures. I know this is counter-intuitive on this site, as most here view payload numbers like Californian stop signs - more suggestion than a rule.

In many cases (like my own) there is substantially more to it than that.

The entire 1/2 ton vs 3/4&1-ton is the perfect example.

Once you go 3/4 ton or greater, you get substantially stronger running gear and drivetrain components.
The GVWR for these trucks has essentially nothing to do with the axles anymore, as they are typically limited by tires.

If you go direct to the MFG of these components, you can find the actual load ratings.
With a 3/4 ton or 1-ton, that number is always higher than Fords GAWR.

Not always the case in 1/2 tons. Which is why I'm also inquiring to the actual axle that is used under the HDPP F150

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal