OVRLND CAMPERS ONLY : Post your OVRLND Camper build here or a link to your build thread to inspire others!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
That's a great looking heater box. How are you running your propane to the Propex? Is your tank mounted on the outside somewhere on the OVRLND?
I built a vented to the outside propane locker for two 5lb tanks on the storage box (little box on top of bigger one). I needed it to stay narrow as a fullsize is wide enough. Hose stays disconnected except during use. Similar set up to what folks use on boats.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Been messing around with thoughts on a covering for my 1/2" xps over the studs/polyiso. Originally was going to go coroplast but my wife didn't like the look. Then was going to go with 5mm plywood but attaching was going to be a bit more involved. Decided to try out some self adhesive carpet tiles and I think this will work great. Super light and super sticky. 16497151819533017969673891628326.jpg16497161643462935710699131547965.jpg

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader

These are the overhead lights I am running. 2 of them is the perfect amount of light and the color temp is much more pleasing.

K9LTW

Been messing around with thoughts on a covering for my 1/2" xps over the studs/polyiso. Originally was going to go coroplast but my wife didn't like the look. Then was going to go with 5mm plywood but attaching was going to be a bit more involved. Decided to try out some self adhesive carpet tiles and I think this will work great. Super light and super sticky. View attachment 716695View attachment 716699

I love the idea of the sticky tiles! Far better than trying to use spray adhesive and trying to get carpet up there smoothly. I know some folks wrap each square off insulation but that doesn’t solve the thermal bridging issue that that 1/2” layer you added does. Thanks for the inspiration! The carpet will deaden sound a bit as well as give you a place to slap all the requisite patches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

montechie

We used our arctic pack for the first time last weekend, it went from 50F to 23F by morning and 30-38 mph gusts. With or without the extra lining, those soft walls don't budge, flap, or twitch in the wind. I feel the Gladiator rock a bit when the wind got more intense, but not the walls. We left some small gaps in our lower windows and the top vent, but with the outside temp at 23F, the inside was still reading 44F in the loft area at morning. No insulation, just a headliner and the arctic pack. I'm still settling on what our plan is for this topper, but definitely want to get some insulation in the roof above the headliner soon for the most insulation benefit and some sound deadening against rain storms.

LB15

With or without the extra lining, those soft walls don't budge, flap, or twitch in the wind.

I'm so glad to hear your experience in wind! I'm picking mine up next month and I spend time in lots of windy areas. I'll also have the arctic liner. I didn't get the headliner, but might add it later after figuring out my insulation and wiring plans. I'll be curious to hear about your experience with sound deadening during rain after insulating the roof.

Has anybody had experience with using an awning track and sliding in an awning with keder rope? I had an ARB awning previously, but almost never used it because of wind. So Jay is installing awning track on both sides and the back. I'll have some keder rope stitched to my lightweight awnings and be able to move them side-side depending on what I need. I think it'll be nice for my purposes, but I'm curious if anybody here has tried it out?

dstefan

These are the overhead lights I am running. 2 of them is the perfect amount of light and the color temp is much more pleasing.
I really like these! May replace a couple light I have with these and add a couple. The color change would be great for bugs. The door with a screen is the only thing about FWC’s Im envious of.

Carpet tiles is a genius idea !

dstefan

Has anybody had experience with using an awning track and sliding in an awning with keder rope? I had an ARB awning previously, but almost never used it because of wind. So Jay is installing awning track on both sides and the back. I'll have some keder rope stitched to my lightweight awnings and be able to move them side-side depending on what I need. I think it'll be nice for my purposes, but I'm curious if anybody here has tried it out?

Yeah, I've been using that type of set up for about 5 years with my old Tacoma and migrated it over. It works great. I also had Jay put up the track. I also have a 23Zero 180 degree awning on the back inspired by @Wrathchild's build. Often my old set up is better when the sun is low coming in the back. Or I use it on the side with the 23Zero deployed in the back. You can see my set up in post #13, page 1 of this thread set up to block the low morning sun.

That awning is a DIY modified version from Bud Depot [edit: typo! it’s BUSdepot!] I used Keder from Sailrite. IMO the awning track with Keder setup is great for light weight and especially for eliminating the gap to the camper. Most "overlanding" awnings seem to assume use with a rack and therefore have a gap that drops rain right where we don't want it -- on the open tailgate.

I can set up the Keder awning in just 3 minutes, including putting in two shockcorded X poles to form the center dome shape. It takes down just as a fast. Set up in the back, you can see in the picture that the poles aren't staked and not even on the ground. The butts of the poles fit in the corner of the tailgate and are tensioned inward by the cable supports for the tailgate. I use a very short bungee on each side hooked from the pole to an existing notch in the side of the TG to tension the poles. If its real windy I'll stake the poles, but I hate having to mess with lines and stakes if I can avoid it.

Think you'll like having that sort of set up -- lot's of flexibility. I like my 23Zero too, but not being reflective (IMO a big downside) it gets kinda hot on sunny SW days and I have to throw a reflective layer on top. Great for rain though with a gutter I made that fits the back awning strip and a channel in 23Zero.

If you're still figuring out the awning you want, I can say more about how the Busdepot one is modified to work (the fabric itself, is all I use of their full set up). For the price, they're a nice product and they now have a larger size too.

Last edited:

wowf

That awning is a DIY modified version from Bud Depot. I used Keder from Sailrite. IMO the awning track with Keder setup is great for light weight and especially for eliminating the gap to the camper. Most "overlanding" awnings seem to assume use with a rack and therefore have a gap that drops rain right where we don't want it -- on the open tailgate.

I can set up the Keder awning in just 3 minutes, including putting in two shockcorded X poles to form the center dome shape. It takes down just as a fast. Set up in the back, you can see in the picture that the poles aren't staked and not even on the ground. The butts of the poles fit in the corner of the tailgate and are tensioned inward by the cable supports for the tailgate. I use a very short bungee on each side hooked from the pole to an existing notch in the side of the TG to tension the poles. If its real windy I'll stake the poles, but I hate having to mess with lines and stakes if I can avoid it.

Think you'll like having that sort of set up -- lot's of flexibility. I like my 23Zero too, but not being reflective (IMO a big downside) it gets kinda hot on sunny SW days and I have to throw a reflective layer on top. Great for rain though with a gutter I made that fits the back awning strip and a channel in 23Zero.

If you're still figuring out the awning you want, I can say more about how the Busdepot one is modified to work (the fabric itself, is all I use of their full set up). For the price, they're a nice product and they now have a larger size too.

Hey @dstefan, could you rustle up a link to the Bud Depot awning? I did a little search and came up short. I have a conceptually similar awning from amazon that I like, once set up. But it sure does take longer to set up than I'd like. Also, it's constructed like a Walmart tent, which doesn't speak well for its future reliability.

I'm also interested in the mods you made to it, including the integrating the keter rope.

skyfree

I built a keder rope awning also using sunbrella fabric, 2 tent poles, 5' of keder awning rope, 5' of keder track, an aluminum threshold from the hardware store with 2 holes drilled into it, some webbing, 4 grommets, and 4 ropes and stakes. It's really hard to get it setup perfectly so I can't really recommend this design, but it does what I need it to. I only set it up when it's going to rain because the kitchen setup extends out over the tailgate when deployed.

I don't sew so I had to find someone to hem the sunbrella, and sew on the keder awning rope and webbing. Cost $40. I have a grommet tool and did the rest myself.
IMG_1017.jpg

dstefan

Hey @dstefan, could you rustle up a link to the Bud Depot awning? I did a little search and came up short. I have a conceptually similar awning from amazon that I like, once set up. But it sure does take longer to set up than I'd like. Also, it's constructed like a Walmart tent, which doesn't speak well for its future reliability.

I'm also interested in the mods you made to it, including the integrating the keter rope.
Here you go: https://www.busdepot.com/a7905 Sorry, I see I had a typo in the name! Didja find a lot of beer or some new friends?? ?
Its a good ripstop fabric, semi-opaque, reflective (in the grey color) about 8’ square. It comes with a ridiculous amount of heavy formed steel poles that go around the perimeter and two support poles with clips to attach to a VW van gutter as well as two 11’ or 13’ heavy shock corded fiberglass poles to form the dome shape. Takes about an hour to setup that way. Holds in hurricanes up to level 4!

Throw all that ********t away, except the fabric. Buy 8’ of Keder strip from Sailrite, or your favorite local Keder strip emporium. Find somebody to sew it on one edge - regular sewing machines cant handle it. I got a local awning shop to do it for $20, and have also had a local shoe repair shop do it on another project (gutter for my 23Zero).

The awning fabric has interior corner flaps that velcro together for their silly perimeter pole system. I sewed by hand one side shut on each to form a pocket. Better to have whoever sews your Keder on do that for you, but I didn't realize in time. Not hard, but you need a real HD needle and a thimble.

Ask the Amazon Fairy to leave these at your door:

I don’t recall, but I think I needed either roughly 11 or 13 foot lengths to form the cross pieces that dome up the center. Figure that out, or in a day or two I can measure mine, and reduce the length of the shock corded poles (real easy to remove a section and cut one to exact length with a hacksaw as the end ferrules are held by the shock cord and pop out real easily).

Set up by sliding the awning in the track and putting the shock corded poles in the interior pockets you sewed and add your favorite awning poles. If you can tension out your awning poles the way I described in my first reply you can get away with no guylines or stakes if its not too windy. REI carries some real nice telescoping poles if you need them.

Nemo and others have similar awnings for about the same price, but they’re rectangular or narrowed to fit an SUV backhatch width. I really like the width and depth of my setup better for shade. The awning itself is really well made Has 2-3“ drop down sides and velcroed flaps on the inside edges you could attach a wall to, etc.

Hope that helps. It sounds more complicated than it is to do. Here’s a better picture from my old rig. You can sort of see how the tailgate cables help spread the poles.

1649973498202.jpeg

Last edited:

LB15

Thanks for all the info on the keder awnings! I'm excited to try mine next month and I'll definitely use some of the ideas from here. I've ordered the keder rope and plan to get a local gear repair guy to sew them on to a couple awnings I already have.

dstefan

Thanks for all the info on the keder awnings! I'm excited to try mine next month and I'll definitely use some of the ideas from here. I've ordered the keder rope and plan to get a local gear repair guy to sew them on to a couple awnings I already have.
No problem! Definitely a cheaper and lighter setup than a 270° awning, though maybe not quite as handy. Sometimes I think about selling my 23Zero 180° on the back, but it is handy, especially in my driveway when I’m working on the camper and on trips depending on the circumstances. It’s not real useful for low early or late sun aimed directly into the back of the camper, which always seems to be the case. But thats where the Busdepot version shines.

One thing we’ve learned is that parked with the front of the truck facing into the sun the camper itself throws great shade on the tailgate fall winter and spring, especially if we just pop the back of the camper up.

Show us how your setup turns out!

wowf

Hey @dstefan. Yeah, thanks for the info. It's a good solution for a rain shedding, moderately wind resistant awning. And yeah, Bud Depot sent me down an entirely different road than VW bus accessories.

My current get-out-there vehicle situation may not work with the Keder strip solution, so I won't bog down this thread, but I'll keep it firmly in mind for a couple years from now when we switch from our WK2 to (hopefully) an OVRLND camper on a Gladiator.

Attachments

• IMG_0920.jpeg
    IMG_0920.jpeg
    324.5 KB · Views: 58

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater