Ozark Trail "High Performance" cooler - any good?

SgtMac

Still testing, It's been a week

Temperature stayed pleasant last night at 71°and it hit a sunny 82° today. I started with forty lbs of cubed ice last Friday morning and now I have 8 lbs remaining in the cooler. The water temperature is now 28.2°. I will keep the test going until the water hits 32°, or 0° C for our northern friends. Perhaps I should have added kilos since I put Centigrade...18.14 kilos of ice to start and currently 3.62 kilos.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
As Managing Director of the Utah Bureau of Awesomeness Department, I'd be off many christmas card lists if I showed up with an Ozark Trail cooler.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
As Managing Director of the Utah Bureau of Awesomeness Department, I'd be off many christmas card lists if I showed up with an Ozark Trail cooler.

Sounds like reason enough to get one to me. :ylsmoke:

I checked my easiest to get to Wally world again today (literally had to drive by it) and no coolers yet in the place marked for them. Woman there said they haven't even got any yet. But also told me stuff like that had a habit of "walking off." :smilies27

Schlitzy

Day 5 (4 full days)

Ok... 4 full days, 69 degrees F constant temp. Opened 4x today. Pictures below. And as Director of the Colorado Chapter of Cheap-*** Bastards (CAB), I love showing up with cheap stuff that works and letting my friends laugh at me... :sombrero:

And to UTAH KJ... I would be off many of my buddies christmas lists if I showed up in a KJ!! Luckily, I don't care about those things :)

image-01-04-16-07-24-1.jpegimage-01-04-16-07-24.jpegimage-01-04-16-07-24-2.jpeg

Last edited:

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Ok... 4 full days, 69 degrees F constant temp. Opened 4x today. Pictures below. And as Director of the Colorado Chapter of Cheap-*** Bastards (CAB), I love showing up with cheap stuff that works and letting my friends laugh at me... :sombrero:

And to UTAH KJ... I would be off many of my buddies christmas lists if I showed up in a KJ!! Luckily, I don't care about those things :)

Actually, the KJ was turbo diesel, registered in the great state of Utah, was purpose-built for overland travel, and did pretty much every trail in MOAB which gave it more cred than most Jeeps... especially those with Dodge Caravan motors. Even won "best expedition vehicle" at the prestigious TerraFlex All Jeep show. It was also a factory demo vehicle for JL Audio from my time with them. I had no problem showing up anywhere in that KJ, I am a super awesome driver too.

Sold right here on ExPo when I fixed all my Jeep problems with a Toyota.

It had an ARB fridge so coolers were irrelevant, although I did earn a YETI in a General Motors points for sales contest... because I was awesome at that too.

Schlitzy

Hahahahaha... its still a KJ man... seriously dude!! It's a KJ!! Like I said, Luckily I don't care about those things...:sombrero:

Last edited:

Schlitzy

Day 6 (5 full days)

Ok, 5 full days... 69 degrees F constant temperature.... pictures below.

Attachments

• image-02-04-16-07-42-2.jpeg
    image-02-04-16-07-42-2.jpeg
    61.4 KB · Views: 809
  • image-02-04-16-07-42-1.jpeg
    image-02-04-16-07-42-1.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 814
  • image-02-04-16-07-42.jpeg
    image-02-04-16-07-42.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 808
Last edited:

Blind_Io

Adventurer
Hahahahaha... its still a KJ man... seriously dude!! It's a KJ!! Like I said, Luckily I don't care about those things...:sombrero:

******** like this is exactly why I have pretty much abandoned this forum; I'm so sick of the gear and vehicle snobbery.

Schlitzy

That was the whole point of my post man....I was being facetious.... I could care less what you drive or what kind of cooler you use as long as it works.

Btw, it is going to be sunny and almost 70 here today. I am going to put the coolers out in the sun all day and see if I can't melt this ice.

Last edited:

SgtMac

A couple more days have passed

Still ice in the cooler, 27.5 inside, a couple more days and it'll probably be melted, the high yesterday was 72, we have a cold day today in the low 50s.

Schlitzy

Day 7 (6 full days)

Ok, 6 full days. The three coolers were placed outside on a concrete walkway in front of my house in direct sunlight all day today - high of 71 degrees and cloudless, and the temperature measured on the concrete walkway where they were was 83 degrees. All 3 coolers have significant water now, but all 3 still have pretty large chunks of ice as well. The Ozark Trail 52qt has by far the most ice. The Coleman Steel Belted cooler's exterior was very hot to the touch and I would say had the most ice loss today (which goes with my experience if this cooler is left in the sun). I wouldn't see it lasting another day or two in full sunshine. I have attached a pic of each cooler from this morning when the coolers were placed outside and from just a few minutes ago. It is supposed to be another low 70's day tomorrow so I'm planning on doing the same thing.

image-03-04-16-05-34-3.jpegimage-03-04-16-05-34-1.jpegimage-03-04-16-05-34-4.jpegimage-03-04-16-05-34.jpegimage-03-04-16-05-34-5.jpegimage-03-04-16-05-34-2.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk