Oztent questions

raycie

Been reading that a few of you have the Oztent..

Questions:

- I know the material is heavy duty. Does that also mean hot and doesn't breathe well?? I live in hawaii so gotta be cool enough so we don't feel like dying in the tent (will be probably using the fly as well).
- I have me, my wife and 2 kids.. thinking the RV5, or even the RV4, but as the kids get older, the 5 may be the one to keep... thoughts..
- As I frequent Tacomaworld, there is someone who has a pretty good GB going on. Yea, I would need to ship to Hawaii, but everyone who talks about their tent seems to have good to say.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/group-buys/340924-oztent-alternative-rtt-group-buy.html

Thanks in advance for all you who own one..

Last edited:

Ramjet

Explorer
They breathe fairly well, it is canvas. The only thing to be concerned about is its size. It is very long stowed and will only fit on the roof or in the bed of a truck or on a trailer. It is not compact at all.

raycie

They breathe fairly well, it is canvas. The only thing to be concerned about is its size. It is very long stowed and will only fit on the roof or in the bed of a truck or on a trailer. It is not compact at all.

Yea.. I have a Tacoma LB and racks on my camper as well. Do you have one and use in TX??? I would think it can get as hot (if not more) where you are. I may need to think about storage in the garage though...

Todis

My Oztent seems cooler than all my other nylon tents. Whether the poly-cotton canvas breaths well or not, I don't know because when it is hot, the large windows are open and window fly's are staked out. For you, I'd suggest getting the additional fly.... to be used as a "tropical roof."

raycie

My Oztent seems cooler than all my other nylon tents. Whether the poly-cotton canvas breaths well or not, I don't know because when it is hot, the large windows are open and window fly's are staked out. For you, I'd suggest getting the additional fly.... to be used as a "tropical roof."

yea, the fly would be a guarantee.. as for the price you paid or is out there, group buy is currently at 18% off and depending on the number of people could go to 25% off.. I think this is a great price.. considering an already pricey tent.

Honu

lost on the mainland
howzit :) moved to the mainland a while ago now I am in AZ and used to have a heavy african canvas tent and way cooler than any nylon for sure :) so same kinda canvas basically

plus keep em warmer in the morning chill :)
canvas tents are awesome but they are bigger heavier but again warmer when cool and cooler when warm !!!!
one other thing nice about em is they are way more quiet in winds ! so no flapping noises if staked out etc... where nylon can get that blowing around thing going with the trades hit ya the canvas will be way nicer than nylon

Kcdude

Adventurer
yea, the fly would be a guarantee.. as for the price you paid or is out there, group buy is currently at 18% off and depending on the number of people could go to 25% off.. I think this is a great price.. considering an already pricey tent.

I am not sure who the "retailer" is that is doing the GB. I thought Familytentcamping.com was the only US Distributor for Oztent. They routinely do 10% discounts for individual purchases but nothing more. Otherwise it was my understanding that there was nowhere else to buy an Oztent in the US. So yes that is a good deal even at 18%....great to see a little competition for a great tent.

Last edited:

raycie

Thanks for that info... i was looking at some videos of a RTT setup last might and more videos about the oztent setup. Definitely both are easy to setup, but storage on an RTT could be a challenge. And for me with more sites where you can't camp right next to the car, I think a RTT would be a waste.

If anyone is looking, I shared the link above..

raycie

Just to follow up on this my family of 4 fits in a rv -4 kids are 8 & 10

Does any gear go with you in the tent??? Just looked up the size of a queen blowup mattress and it is 5'x6.6' seems like the RV4 would be a squeeze for a queen blowup, 2 self inflating mats, and some room for stuff (clothes etc). Yes the RV5 is only 8" longer and wider, but for $100 more, is it a better overall size for me??

I am not sure who the "retailer" is that is doing the GB. I thought Familytentcamping.com was the only US Distributor for Oztent. They routinely do 10% discounts for individual purchases but nothing more. Otherwise it was my understanding that there was nowhere else to buy an Oztent in the US. So yes that is a good deal even at 18%....great to see a little competition for a great tent.

Just saw this here on ExPo....we are the company that is doing the group buy on Tacoma World. Just to clarify the above questions; Oztent has been doing a bit of restructuring here in the US over the last year and will be using a larger retail network other than Family Tent Camping. Oztent, like many other companies, have dealer MAP pricing which all companies will have to adhere to. In an effort to help spread the Oztent name we asked if they would be interested in allowing us to do a group buy and they agreed. With that said, we have some aggressive discounts to offer on them if we hit the numbers. Cant promise if Oztent will allow group buys in the future, and I am sure we wont be able to discount their products like this in the future so if you want in on this group buy you can message me here, call the shop, or email us.

Thanks!

Kcdude

Adventurer
Just saw this here on ExPo....we are the company that is doing the group buy on Tacoma World. Just to clarify the above questions; Oztent has been doing a bit of restructuring here in the US over the last year and will be using a larger retail network other than Family Tent Camping. Oztent, like many other companies, have dealer MAP pricing which all companies will have to adhere to. In an effort to help spread the Oztent name we asked if they would be interested in allowing us to do a group buy and they agreed. With that said, we have some aggressive discounts to offer on them if we hit the numbers. Cant promise if Oztent will allow group buys in the future, and I am sure we wont be able to discount their products like this in the future so if you want in on this group buy you can message me here, call the shop, or email us.

Thanks!

Ben - thanks for the reply. When does the GB close? Can you get one of these? http://www.oztent.com/oztent-accessories/oztent-screen-house-hex#.VBOizWK9KSM

Ben - thanks for the reply. When does the GB close? Can you get one of these? http://www.oztent.com/oztent-accessories/oztent-screen-house-hex#.VBOizWK9KSM

We are going to try and get the first round out this week. We have had several committed folks waiting for a few weeks for people to commit to get a bigger discount but they are starting to get antsy and want their tents. My hope is to have all commitments in this week, and start sending out invoices via paypal, once paid get them shipped out early next week. If there are still people wanting in but are waiting for pay day at the end of the month will do our best to accommodate them as well. Just let us know where you are...

I sent an email to Oztent US this morning to see if we can get the Hex screen room and will update you when I hear back.

Thanks!

gearguywb

Explorer
Really like the looks and size of the 4, but the packed size looks like it would need to be stored on the roof of my 100 series. Seems like a heck of a pain to put it up there and lash it down whenever breaking camp....kind of negates the positives over a RTT. What are other folks thoughts that have used them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven