Palomino 1600ss

nucktaco

Adventurer
Hey I currently am running a rtt setup. Me and the wife are wanting to pick up a slide in camper. We are located in Canada. This makes the price point of a fwc border on rediculous. (40k ish for a basic one). I’ve been reading about the new palominos mainly the 1600 ss (approx 19k new). They appear to be aluminum framed now and are better quality than the old ones. Haven’t seeen one in person yet but was Gona head over to the dealer on Friday and take a look.
Anyone have any recent reviews or first hand experience? Trying to find a used fwc up here is damn near impossible.

plans With it are to take it to Alaska/Yukon and to Panama in the next 3-4 years.

I’m going to keep the rtt and rack for more wheeling trips.

Last edited:

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I've seen a few of them running around for what it's worth, and at the end of the day whatever works for your budget that gets you out adventuring and camping I say go for it. I spent 6 months trying to find a used FWC that fit our needs (we are in BC) and they were either impossible ot find, or the costs was so close to new it wasn't worth it. I ended up biting the bullet and ordering a new one. In my mind amortizing the amount over the 10-15 years we plan on using it, made it worthwhile...though the initial hit is hard to take. Good luck checking out the Palomino pop-ups...and enjoy the journeys (we drove North to Tuk 2 summers ago now...it was a trip I'll never forget)

poorhouse

We bought a 2020 Palomino Rogue w/Badlands this spring. Not apples to apples but part of the Palomino's new aluminum framed pop ups.
MSRP was $17,250. Paid $10,900.

I originally wanted an ATC but something comparable was $20k +. A FWC was even more.
Figured the price savings was worth the gamble. Plus the Mrs. liked the slightly cushier Palomino.

Our use is BLM/State forest/Fire roads. No really hardcore off roading.

Wife has had it out 6 nights I was along for 3 of those. So far so good. Everything works as intended. Solar setup is effective.
Heater is great. Beds are comfy. All our nights out have been around 30F, it is plenty warm. The heater only kicks on a couple times for a minute or so.

As to quality to early to tell. The dinette window blind cover fell off. It is just screwed into foam. All of the sealant that is visible is very sloppy.

I think the power top is annoying in it's slowness. The wife likes it. She's 5'0" and can raise/lower on her own which is great. The idea was for her and the kid (10) to go our on their own during the week.

It is quite a bit taller than an ATC or FWC. Still lowish profile on our Tundra but I've scraped a few branches on narrow roads.

Based on our limited use I don't have any regrets.

nucktaco

Adventurer
We bought a 2020 Palomino Rogue w/Badlands this spring. Not apples to apples but part of the Palomino's new aluminum framed pop ups.
MSRP was $17,250. Paid $10,900.

I originally wanted an ATC but something comparable was $20k +. A FWC was even more.
Figured the price savings was worth the gamble. Plus the Mrs. liked the slightly cushier Palomino.

Our use is BLM/State forest/Fire roads. No really hardcore off roading.

Wife has had it out 6 nights I was along for 3 of those. So far so good. Everything works as intended. Solar setup is effective.
Heater is great. Beds are comfy. All our nights out have been around 30F, it is plenty warm. The heater only kicks on a couple times for a minute or so.

As to quality to early to tell. The dinette window blind cover fell off. It is just screwed into foam. All of the sealant that is visible is very sloppy.

I think the power top is annoying in it's slowness. The wife likes it. She's 5'0" and can raise/lower on her own which is great. The idea was for her and the kid (10) to go our on their own during the week.

It is quite a bit taller than an ATC or FWC. Still lowish profile on our Tundra but I've scraped a few branches on narrow roads.

Based on our limited use I don't have any regrets.
Thanks for the info! I was looking at the rogue aswell. No local dealers here though so Gona have to wait for the border to open so I can go check one out. My only concern was the slanted roof. Do you still have a decent amount of standing area inside?

ripperj

Explorer
Bump for updates
Any more thoughts now that you have had this a while, did it get much use over the summer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333