Pandemonium in the Panamints........

• Thread starter Scenic WonderRunner
  • Start date
S

Scenic WonderRunner

This morning's update.

Just got off the phone with the desk guy with price tag on hat!

I asked for an update. He started right in on me telling me he wants me to start using better oil because I got that "Economy" oil change at Wal~Mart. I told him that is their name for their lowest cost oil change which does Not include checking all other fluids....tires.....vacuum...etc.! This has no bearing on the quality of the oil used. The oil is API certified and they would have 100's of thousands of junk engines all across the country to pay for if they used non API certified oil. (how one could even by non certified oil is beyond me anyway!).

I again had to just shut him up on this economy oil change!.....:sport_box

http://www.aa1car.com/library/api_motor_oil_classifications.htm

http://www.aa1car.com/library/API_ratings.pdf

So he still can't tell me what they will do to fix or when I can have my truck back.

He claims they are doing a diagnostic. I don't believe this for one min. because when they first rebuilt my engine last year......they didn't even tune it up. They claim they don't have that kind of equipment. More dbl. speak!

Now he tells me the boss has these other engines he needs to get at......even though I've had this appt. since mid June!

I told him I will call him later today and I would like him to tell me when I will have my truck back and working properly and not burning oil.

I'm getting the feeling they just shoved my truck on the side and don't want to deal with it because it will cost them money to replace the engine and not getting new jobs done at the same time.

They have known since last Aug. 2007 that it's burning oil and have just been making excuses to put me off. They could have been setting aside $100 per month all this time and had enough money to pay their guys to swap the engine.

...............SO!

I'm already formulating in my head.....a letter to the CA. B.A.R. ......if they don't follow through.

Last edited by a moderator:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
A letter to the Bureau of Auto Repair (BAR) is what is needed.

If you haven't already, start putting together the file that documents everything in the transaction. Who you talked and when, whether in person or over the phone. What they've said during each interaction. What you've said at each interaction. Every invoice & receipt related to the truck during this period, etc., etc., etc.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

ntsqd said:
A letter to the Bureau of Auto Repair (BAR) is what is needed.

If you haven't already, start putting together the file that documents everything in the transaction. Who you talked and when, whether in person or over the phone. What they've said during each interaction. What you've said at each interaction. Every invoice & receipt related to the truck during this period, etc., etc., etc.

Thanks!

Very good input!

I have actually been doing this from the Very beginning..........by sending emails to Mr. Price tag on Hat.....regarding all transactions and problems. This is not the first time I've had to bring the SWR back to them in the last year! They also messed up my Overdrive by clogging up the bypass temp sensor (but never wanted to admit it and claimed my O/D was already broken when I came in...I finally made them fix it by not giving in to their lies and attemps to put me off)........clogged up my Radiator, had to get a new one for free on warranty and have them install it, but they charged me labor!........hum....I know I must be forgetting something! I'll have to go check my old emails!:violent-smiley-031:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I don't mean to pour salt in your wounds, but a little bit of a cheaper price tag is not worth all of this. Should've gone with a reputable shop. Hind sight is 20/20, though. Oh, well. Hope it all goes well and the shop pulls through.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Cackalak Han said:
I don't mean to pour salt in your wounds, but a little bit of a cheaper price tag is not worth all of this. Should've gone with a reputable shop. Hind sight is 20/20, though. Oh, well. Hope it all goes well and the shop pulls through.

Not that it's all that cheaper...and that's not the point!

I almost spent $3,000.

The main thing is/was...I wanted the Longest warranty Possible.

They have a 5 Year/50K Mile Warranty...and they need to honor it...Period. They have been in business for 10 years.

The only other longest warranty I could find in San Diego was/is...1 year.

The real problem is...Things are always great and sound just fine BEFORE they have your MONEY!

Once they have your MONEY...It Always Changes!

And.

If you would have read a little deeper...

You would also see that this thread is about my rescuse and the wonderful people who saved me (stated in the Very first post!). And how to be prepared and idea's of what to do if you get stuck. Especially Tuning your CB Radio Properly!

(don't worry about my engine.....I'll be just fine!)

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I finally got to talk with the rude shop owner today.

He claims my truck will be ready by friday.

Somebody please help educate me on this ....please.

He claims they took my engine out and took it apart. He claims that the chrome rings they installed were simply not broken in yet. The engine has 8,000 miles on it! So they Re~honed the cyl. and put new reg. rings in.

So when I look up the FM site......they talk about fast break in chrome rings. What does this mean, and how long should it take for them to break in?

So......

Now my punishment is......he claims he just put regular rings in to solve the problem but they won't last as long.

My other question is......if they were not broken in yet, why would you have to re~hone and put new rings in at all?

This sounds like more dbl speak to me.

So I looked up this website..........

Premium Rings for Demanding Conditions.

Sealed Power offers premium molybdenum-faced and chrome-plated compression rings that are lapped to a light-tight finish for fast break-in and positive blow-by control. These materials are the ideal choices for top rings, which get the most heat, the most pressure and the least lubrication.

Rings made with molybdenum (moly), a hard, low-friction metal, have outstanding oil-carrying capacity to provide excellent top-ring lubrication. Our moly rings resist scuffing, reduce drag and seat fast.

Chrome-plated top compression rings, engineered for harsh-condition use, handle the heat, friction, abrasion and corrosion problems encountered in high-load engines. Sealed Power’s chrome-plated top rings are pre-seated at the factory, delivering instant sealing when the engine starts.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Picking up the SWR today......with Slime! in my Bike Tires! So I don't have to take...."the long walk".....again!

It appears they have now decided to give me a complete fresh rebuilt engine.

As much as they have frustrated me. I will say that at the end, they completely honored their warranty and did their best to give me a....

great running new engine!:friday: ....:12_4_18:

So...

Back to trips after some break in miles...!

now just where is that green slime smilie when you need him>?!!!

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Hope it all goes well with this "new" engine....now remeber to break the rings in properly...I think that means don't drive it offraod or under heavy loads:ylsmoke: :jump:

Seems like they should have done this in the first place....

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I was looking back over my thread tonight.

And I just have to say....that a day almost does not go by....without me thinking of you great folks that rescued me!

Thanks again soooooo much for your kindness!

I still owe you that Steak Dinner around the campfire! :beer:

2007_0220HiNLoDesertRunners0236.jpg

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Getting ready to do my first 500 mile oil change.

So....

Now at 250 miles....

I stopped by Wally World today and picked up some Castrol GTX. Since I was Chastised by the engine rebuilder and accused of using inferior engine oil.......even though you can Only buy API Certified Engine Oil.....!...UG!

So here is what I bought!

2008_0815CastrolGTX10w300005.jpg

I've used Castrol GTX in my 1972 Porsche 911 for the past 28 years! Works great! I picked up a Supertech oil filter which is claimed to be better than a Fram. I may order some Mahle Oil Filters online later on......I use them on my Porsche! I trust them!

Poster Child....for Castrol GTX.....!

a 1972 Porsche 911....

2006_07051972Porsche9110025-2.jpg

...what engine oil and filter do you use>?!

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I love reviving threads. This is a great story of people looking out for people. Thank you for sharing your adventures. I am glad the link for the whole story is still working.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I love reviving threads. This is a great story of people looking out for people. Thank you for sharing your adventures. I am glad the link for the whole story is still working.

Thank you....ETAV8R!

It was quite an adventure. And thank God for good people!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater