Parking brake warning light question

texas taco

Adventurer
Last week after I installed my subpanel in my dbl cab tacoma i noticed the ((brake)) light on my cluster would momentairley come on. I assume it is there to allert the driver the E brake is on. Does anyone know what would cause is to go off and on occasionally? I checked my feeder wires for the panel,and they do not really come in hard contact with the E brake cable. Could I have messed up a sensor on the brake master cylinder? Could that light also be a code for the brake system as well as an E brake warning light?

LAW

Adventurer
texas taco said:
Last week after I installed my subpanel in my dbl cab tacoma i noticed the ((brake)) light on my cluster would momentairley come on. I assume it is there to allert the driver the E brake is on. Does anyone know what would cause is to go off and on occasionally? I checked my feeder wires for the panel,and they do not really come in hard contact with the E brake cable. Could I have messed up a sensor on the brake master cylinder? Could that light also be a code for the brake system as well as an E brake warning light?
low brake fluid

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Sometimes a Alternator failing will back flow power through that light. But it usualy kicks on the charge light as well. I think you will find it low on fluid.

The switch in my reservior is faulty and it some times will make it glow where it is noticable at night but not in the day light.

alpha_nett

my 85's aways comes on. my buddies 96, 97, and 2000 all do it. it happens when the spring on the E brake handle wears. all you have to do when it comes on is PUSH down your E brake handle. everyone i know with a toyota, their truck eventually does this. my 04 has even done it 2 or 3 times.
***BUT, i dont think it would be a bad idea to check your brake fluid anyway. just to be safe.

texas taco

Adventurer
Tanks for all the replys. I am leaning towards Dave In Denvers idea. My truck is an 03 with factory pads an rotors that are also warped a little. Again Thanks for the help. Time for up grades i guess. Maybe some DBA rotors and Hawk pads. What do you all think?

pray4surf

Explorer
texas taco said:
Tanks for all the replys. I am leaning towards Dave In Denvers idea. My truck is an 03 with factory pads an rotors that are also warped a little. Again Thanks for the help. Time for up grades i guess. Maybe some DBA rotors and Hawk pads. What do you all think?

I agree on the low fluid triggering the light, and if you have no leakage of break fluid, then it is low due to brake pad/shoe wear. Fronts are easy to check, just pull the wheels off. Rears may be a little more time consuming/difficult. If the drums haven't been pulled in a while, it may be necessary to adjust the shoes via the star adjuster....

If you are satisfied with your current braking, just replace with OE/dealer parts. Feeling adventurous? consider doing the Tundra brake upgrade for the fronts - Tundra 199mm calipers and Tundra rotors. Of all the mods I've done to my 98, I really like this one...

LAW

Adventurer
DaveInDenver said:
This is usually the reason for me. But the rez could be low because the brake pads & shoes are worn out and need replacing, too.
forgot about that.. every time i see that light come on i go grab the 14mm wrench and tighten the banjo bolt that the coilovers knock loose :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
havanother