(partially) new Tundra coming?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
What are they waiting for exactly? By the time they announce this thing it will already be on lots.
No semi-conductors. :cool: I love the styling. Hopefully,the twin turbo engine will work well. The question will be of longevity of the turbos after 100K? Will Toyota include a turbo timer to enable the turbo to cool down after a hard run while letting the owner walk away? The Edge equipment does just that on the domestic diesel turbos.

Last edited:

beef tits

This new model is the best looking one yet but let’s not kid ourselves; We buy Toyotas because they are reliable and run forever… not because they have nice bells and whistles and definitely not because they are pretty.

Tundras have always been ugly as piss and old tech. Terrible MPG. Still wouldn’t trade mine for any domestic and the headaches that come with them over the miles.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
This new model is the best looking one yet but let’s not kid ourselves; We buy Toyotas because they are reliable and run forever… not because they have nice bells and whistles and definitely not because they are pretty.

Tundras have always been ugly as piss and old tech. Terrible MPG. Still wouldn’t trade mine for any domestic and the headaches that come with them over the miles.

I think you're describing a very, very small % of the target market.

D

Deleted member 9101

What are they waiting for exactly? By the time they announce this thing it will already be on lots.

Probably the same supply chain problems that hit other industries.

Also... My local Toyota dealership has exactly 0 new Tundras on the lot...lol.

skrypj

No semi-conductors. :cool: I love the styling. Hopefully,the twin turbo engine will work well. The question will be of longevity of the turbos after 100K? Will Toyota include a turbo timer to enable the turbo to cool down after a hard run while letting the owner walk away? The Edge equipment does just that on the domestic diesel turbos.

I have little doubt that the turbos will last well beyond 100k as long as you don’t neglect the truck. Good oil is key, but its kinda hard to get crappy oil anymore with the new API SN+ and SP ratings anyways.

I will be curious if toyota specs 10,000 mile OCI’s and 0W-20 like the 1UR and 3UR. I wouldnt wanna run anything less than 5W-30 in a TT V6. I switching to Pennzoil Platinum Euro L in my Ecoboost for something a little stouter than the US oils.

Turbo timers are not needed with liquid cooled turbos. The coolant loop is designed to keep coolant circulating through the turbos after the engine is off.

beef tits

Turbo timers are not needed with any engine or brand of oil made in the last 20 years, and they definitely were never needed on most pickup trucks. I'm also 99% sure they are only for oil cooled turbos.

Think of it this way... If you are ripping on your car enough to make the turbo glow red then you probably need one, but only if you plan to take the keys out immediately after a hard flogging, and only prior to like 1999.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I have little doubt that the turbos will last well beyond 100k as long as you don’t neglect the truck. Good oil is key, but its kinda hard to get crappy oil anymore with the new API SN+ and SP ratings anyways.

I will be curious if toyota specs 10,000 mile OCI’s and 0W-20 like the 1UR and 3UR. I wouldnt wanna run anything less than 5W-30 in a TT V6. I switching to Pennzoil Platinum Euro L in my Ecoboost for something a little stouter than the US oils.

Turbo timers are not needed with liquid cooled turbos. The coolant loop is designed to keep coolant circulating through the turbos after the engine is off.
Thank you for the information on liquid cooled turbos. I watched a show where an Ecoboost turbo died on a 3.5 at 70K. They replaced both with aftermarket upgraded ones and a tuner. Not a fun job as I recall.

skrypj

Thank you for the information on liquid cooled turbos. I watched a show where an Ecoboost turbo died on a 3.5 at 70K. They replaced both with aftermarket upgraded ones and a tuner. Not a fun job as I recall.

The Ecoboost turbos are really easy. I have pulled mine twice now due to warped exhaust manifolds(which is an issue with the 11-16 3.5L, not the 2017+). Even me being a shade tree mechanic could probably swap a turbo on my truck in ~2 hours.

I am at 95k now. My truck has towed under very extreme conditions here in Utah. I have had a computer tune on the truck since around 15k miles that runs the turbos close to their limits and have not had an issue so far.

D

Deleted member 9101

Turbo timers went out of style a few decades ago with gas motors...lol. Modern turbos are oil lubed and water cooled. The water keeps flowing long after the motor is shut off (thermo syphon) to cool them.

My office had ~10 1st gen Ecoboost F150s and they all went 150-170k before they were turned in. Not a single one had a problem related to the turbos, which says a lot considering they were driven and maintained like your typical gov't vehicle...lol.

Florida Highway Patrol has a fleet of Ecoboost F150 that they run pretty hard every day, they don't have any problems with their turbos.

My Ecoboost was tuned at 20k and is now at 73k. The turbos are pushed to the absolute max and haven't flinched. With a larger incercooler, down pipe, and intake they are able to push even more air.

My Dad's Navigator has something like 145k on it and 1/2 of those miles are pulling a travel trailer... You guessed it, no issues with the turbos. ;-)

D

Deleted member 9101

They aren't bad at all to swap out. My brother and I swapped his manifolds and turbos (he upgraded to aftermarket parts) in less than a day and that was with lots of screwing around.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
We have entered the age of turbo engines in the most of the vehicles whether a small wagon or mid size truck.
Ford has led the way.
I think Toyota, being very conservative company, will take turbo engines in the trucks to a next level.

My 2005 Saab wagon has 2.5 turbo engine. Amazing small engine with now issues with the turbo at all at 175K.
Average mpg is like 27-28. I did 40mpg once in Michigan.
I can't imagine having a car without a turbo engine.

D

Deleted member 9101

I can't imagine having a car without a turbo engine.

I feel the same way! They are fun when driven hard and economical when driven like an adult. Most of them have over built engine internals and are pretty easy to get more power out of.

My F150 is currently sitting at a life time average of 20.7 MPG, which is pretty dang good for a full size, four door truck. A naturally aspirated V8 can't match the power and fuel economy of a turbo charged V6.

I truly hope Toyota "hits it out of the park." That will cause other manufacturers to innovate....and we all get better trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal