Parts Crisis for Mitsubishis

Spent a few hours trying to solve my Smog readiness issue at a dealer, thats moved into a tiny little place. And it seems that most parts even for newer Mitsubishi's are no longer available and the vendors have shut down due to small numbers, Mitsubishi's continued exidous from the US, and most current models ending. It was astonishing to hear you can have a vehicle a few years old and no way to get parts. The dealers are also hoarding a few parts, and getting a part is a process of calling them directly and negotiating a price. Scary stuff. Since the Gen 1-2 Montero sold so well around the world, its the one vehicle line they can order parts for thankfully for us. Also has to do with the durability and number still on road.

Anyone see the You Tube video of the new 2016 Montero Sport introduction? Well, after 5 Minutes you realize its just another Outlander that looks just like the last one and they mislabeled the video. Very strange place MMA. Going to be some interesting campfire talk in the Sierras.

PacS14

Adventurer
I know you are in Albuquerque, but a lot of people in California are having issues with the emissions/smog readiness of mitsubishi vehicles, monteros in particular since that's what this forum is for. A couple of weeks ago there was a thread about it and how California had to issue an exemption for mitsubishi vehicles that the testing stations were not aware of and the owner had to fight it and find a way to get his vehicle tested. Apparently either the vehicles do not reach the ready state or loose the readiness if you come to a stop. Search for it good info if you are getting grief and everything is stock and running perfect on your vehicle.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I'm not expecting to see the "real" Montero brought back any time soon in N. America. It isn't a grocery getter, it's a really tough truck disguised as a typical SUV. In order to bring it back the way we would want to see it they would need to compete with some well entrenched brands and culture. I would look at how Nissan broke into the U.S. truck market for ideas. Remember the rodeo clown commercial? It makes an excellent light work truck.

This happened a few years ago with Saab. I remember one case where a guy had a 2 year old Saab 9-3 and couldn't locate an axle for it anywhere in the united states, kinda scary.

montypower

Adventure Time!
My old Isuzu had the same issues (over 20yrs old). There is no issue with any part on the 3rd Gen Monty. Buy a newer truck if you want better access to parts. I've been amazed at the random parts the dealer can get.

Doorplease

Explorer
If your hunting for gen 1 remember dodge sold it as well. I've gotten a few parts from dodge dealers, often much quicker than what the mitsu dealer could offer and exceptionally cheaper.

Dprisner

Observer
This is a very disconcerning point. I look at my 19 yo SUV and know many interior/exterior OEM parts are no longer available and there are fewer of these trucks to pick-n-pull from to keep the rig somewhat OEM looking and functioning. I often think about moving on to another 4X4 product, but darn it, I just love this truck - can't let it go!

My old Isuzu had the same issues (over 20yrs old). There is no issue with any part on the 3rd Gen Monty. Buy a newer truck if you want better access to parts. I've been amazed at the random parts the dealer can get.

The problem is not for us so much as EVERY other Mitsu vehicle. Then Gen 2 Montero sold very well in the US, and around the world. And other Mitsu 4x4s as well, so they have a parts demand. But an Outlander a few years old may be trouble.

Gruni14

Observer
Spent a month in China over the summer, a lot of it in rural interior (non touristy) areas. I was surprised how many Montero Gen II's there were. Quite a few in the cities too. I wonder what the parts availability is in China? I'll have to look into it and report back.

Anyone know what the parts availability for Montero Gen II's is in S. America (particularly rural Argentina)? We've toyed with the idea of shipping one of our SUV's down there at some point in the future and going across the land and, exploring the Andes. Or, maybe just rent a new one, but that wouldn't be as fun. I could go Jeep G/C, Mitsubishi or Land Rover Discovery. Jeep probably has the best dealer network of the three I'm guessing, and it would probably be the best non-extreme trail rig with Quadra-Drive II and all (essentially lockable front/center/rear), but it's too mainstream. More fun in the 98 Disco (but potentially more breakdown issues ...however, relatively easy to repair normally), or the Mitsu. Love to hear your thoughts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater