pathfinder Quadravan front end???

rex blackfire

First let me say, AWESOME FORUM! I'm very glad to have finally found what seems to be a forum with intelligent, good people that aren't all about ********** talk and flaming. Having said that, I am the proud new owner of a not so new doomsday rig, a 78 e350 quadravan. All the steering components are, well, worn out. Flat out burnt up. Now figuring out what tierod ends, drag link, bushing, etc wouldn't be so bad if ANYBODY in town actually stocked old for parts, but no one does. I have a parts manual for it but as anyone that's dealt with these before knows, Pathfinder used their own part numbers. Shoot I cant even find a 250 highboy to compare to. It has the ball joint, disk 44hd low pinion and does not have the y style tie rod drag link setup which Id like to do, but not for now. Has anyone out there rebuilt the stock front end in these? Once the ends and all are replaced, I am going to do a proper track bar and sway bar set up, and possibly the y style steering but for now I just want it to be trust able for camping with the kids and get through the winter.

justcuz

Explorer
Does it have external or internal hubs? I cant remember the year to year changes on these but the early ones had coil sprung front axles, with radius arms and a track bar. A 78 would be the full frame Econoline, is it using front coils also? Most of the front axle parts are going to be factory replacement Dana 44 stuff, not real difficult to buy. But dealing with the normal parts counter guy should be fun! There used to be a Dana website that had the part numbers for all axles so the numbers for the ball joints and bearings should be on that. Ford F-250 front axles changed from low pinion to high pinion to TTB. The last year low pinion axle parts would be what you tell the parts counter guy you have.
You may want to ask the moderators to move this down to the 4wd and 2wd camper vans section.
That group of folks may have a broader knowledge base of these vans.

Last edited:

rex blackfire

Yeah, Gordon at pathfinder is mia. I'm still trying to figure out the difference in ext. and int. hubs. Mine has brass pathfinder manual hubs, beyond that I dunno yet. My first goal it to figure out what tierod ends and drag link I need.
I need

justcuz

Explorer
Internal hubs just have the cap of the hub showing. External hubs have external bolts holding the hubs on. Factory external hubs were made by Dana Corporation and had a big dial in the center usually blue or red in color. The outer ring was chrome plated and had 6 Allen head bolts holding it on. External hubs are about 4" measured across the face of the hub. Warn did make a replacement for these that taper out onward the end but it still bolts on with 6 visible bolts. You said you had a Dana 44 HD so if that is correct you have the big hubs.

rex blackfire

And it is full frame, coil sprung, with the goofy dual track bars. great on the road, but yo dont wanna hit dips n road bumps straight on very much. in that instance, theres MAYBE 3/4" of travel.
I'm super Ignorant when it comes to forums, and have no idea how to contact the Admins.

bdog1

Adventurer
forum with intelligent, good people that aren't all about ********** talk and flaming. QUOTE]

Oh cumone! Pirate can be fun too!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justcuz

Explorer
Could you post a picture of the hubs by any chance?
I know they put that track bar setup on the Dodge vans did not know they did it to Fords too.
So your drag link runs parallel to the frame and steers off the left knuckle? You may be able to find a F100/150 4x4 track bar and frame bracket that mounts in front of the axle.
Your pitman arm would have to be rotated 90 degrees forward to use the same steering box, depending on how it was mounted on the chassis.
I would think factory parts for that year would work on the front axle. Lots of these were sold by dealers when new and I think I read somewhere that most of the axle parts are correct for the year of manufacture.
Moderators are listed along the bottom, you can send one of them a PM and asked to have your thread moved to the van section.
Green Smiley face double flip off; the Pirate salute!
Never go to Pirate if your easily offended or have not searched, they are much better than they used to be though.
Lots of good tech there but you have to dodge the dickheads.

rex blackfire

I'll definitely take a pic of it tomorrow. and list the measurements. From what Ive found,a 78 f250 tie rod is the same, but about 3" too short. I'm trying to find the measurements of one for a crew cab, but cant even find one for sale. Mines 56 5/8" from the ball joint center (grease zert) to the far end of the adjuster, and the adjuster is 5.5" long. The drag link is 33.25" long, and big. Like 1.24" diameter, and its ball joint shaft is 1" thick.

justcuz

Explorer
Maybe post pictures of these parts also. I don't think a crew cab would be any wider than a standard pickup. A standard 2wd twin I beam van suspension would have the Y link steering. Do you think the tie rod from the pitman arm to the right side spindle has any chance of being long enough to be the piece your looking for?

justcuz

Explorer
Hopefully now that your in the van section, someone who owns or has owned one of these will chime in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal