pelican case 1550 or 1610

roamingaz

Explorer
I am narrowing my search for a storage box, I am thinking of the pelican 1610 but would like to see some pictures of one loaded with gear to get a better idea of what it will hold.
Also found a 350 and a 1600 for sale cheap, so any pics of loaded pelicans would help me out.

Viggen

Just here...
What are you trying to store? Are you completely hooked on a Pelican? Im asking because I picked up two Hardigg cases and a Zero Manufacturing one that were military surplus and in VERY good condition for $180 bucks. Seals, valves and latches were all in perfect condition. 18x18x16 and 20x20x11 in light gray with foam inside and a large olive drab green one sized 41x33x24. I can pass along the guys name if youre interested. He has a lot of good military surplus boxes.

roamingaz

Explorer
I'm not set on Pelican just found a new 1610 in tan on ebay for $165 shipped. I have been looking at the Storm cases as well as surplus military.
Im going to be storing my dutch oven and cooking accessories and if large enough I would also keep my Volcano grill stove in it. I'm trying to keep the size smaller so it will fit in both my vehicles.
would like to see the medium and larger size boxes filled so I can get a general idea of the size by model number.

Fish

Adventurer
Hmmm.... how many Darby Darrows do I know?

Fish here, aka your old firefighter neighbor from up the street. Heard ya moved up north.

Hijack over!

Scott Brady

Founder
The 1550 is pretty small. However, it is the case I typically use. The 1550 perfectly houses a comprehensive tool kit, a first aid kit, my recovery kit and most importantly the Snow Peak BBQ Box and a bag of charcoal ;)

The 1610 works better for more comprehensive storage, like a kitchen kit, spares, etc.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
I'm something of a pelican fanboy. I have carried them all over the world and never had an issue.

I love them mostly because I'm really hard on my gear. If I had one gripe it's that they are heavy and costly to fly with, but in the truck they are great. I use them to supplement my storage. I carry two 1510's and a 1700 along with a lot of small ones.

I also have a Thermold case that is like a pelican 1780T that I use for our rifles and another Thermold that's about like a 1690. I like Thermold's because they are lighter and just as tough and water tight.

There is a Fry's Electronics in Pheonix. They stock a lot of Pelican sizes so you could see them in person.

UNI

Adventurer
Here are the boxes we use, gear stored & where they are placed.

(1) Doskocil Case - Foldable/Roll Solar Panels (Inside Jeep)
(1) Pelican 1200 - Digital Camera (Inside Jeep)
(1) Pelican Storm Case iM2720 - Ground Torches (Mounted On Roof Rack)
(1) Pelican Storm Case iM2950 - Cooking Gear, Dutch Oven, camp grill, griddle, etc. (Mounted On Roof Rack)
(1) Pelican Storm Case iM2950 - Water Filter, Zodi Extreme Shower, etc. (Mounted On Roof Rack)

Last edited:
I have 2 pelicans and a storm case..

storm cases was purchased by pelican, but they did not change the latches over to the pelican style..
(HUGE plus IMO) the latches on storms are so much better.
the pelicans I have are one first gen and one of the more recent generations with the new easier to open latches.

I would recommend the storm case.

Lichen

Explorer
This is my 1600 which holds all of my kitchen stuff (except stove).

picture.php

NLXTACY

If you want your young children to be able to get into the cases, go Storm. If you want to make sure they can't open them for a few more years to come, go Pelican.

XJCamper

SE Expedition Society
If you want your young children to be able to get into the cases, go Storm. If you want to make sure they can't open them for a few more years to come, go Pelican.

OK, I got a little nervous when I first read this post. Put the kids in the cases and then make sure they can't open them???? Whoa. I had to read it a second time very carefully.
I have several pelicans and a large storm case. The pelicans are much more durable but, if you are not needing to abuse it the storm cases will last for years and years. They are not as waterproof if that is a consideration. It also depends on which storm case you get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven