Picked up a broken 99 D2 for 1300.00.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Picked up a non-running 1999 Discovery 2 this weekend. The previous owner thinks it has a broken timing chain. According to him he was driving along, running well, no overheating, and the engine suddenly shut down. It cranks like it has no compression in several cylinders. (even whine from the starter, without much indication of compression change). This would correspond with some bent valves causing multiple cylinders without compression. Won't know until I pull the valve covers and see if the valves are moving. Then the heads to see how bad the damage is.

The odometer says 114K. I've never personally come across a Rover with a broken chain, and wouldn't expect that at this mileage. Anyone seen something like this before?

If this is the problem and there's no serious piston damage I'm planning to pressure test the block, throw some new heads and gaskets on, and a new cam/lifters, etc. and run it. The rest of the truck is really clean. It has manual cloth seats, one sunroof, etc. so it's a base, which I like. Brand new set of Michelin LTX M/S's on it too.

Will follow up with more details on the damage when I get to it.

David

D2 4.jpgD2 2.jpgD2 5.jpgD2 1.jpgD2 3.jpg

Last edited:
thats a heck of a deal, if it were me, I'd stick a diesel in there...in my opinion rover makes a find chassis and running gear, but their engines (at least in the US) leave a lot to be desired.

baja5337

Observer
We had a 95 disco come through the shop with higher mileage but similar complaint. The cam gear actually stripped and caused valve to piston contact. We put a new timing chain and gear set on it and rebuilt the heads and its been running smooth now for about 10,000 miles

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
........... It cranks like it has no compression in several cylinders............ This would correspond with some bent valves causing multiple cylinders without compression..

Doesn't necessarily mean the valves are bent. A broken chain/stripped gear (non rotating cam) would cause this also, as the cam lobes would be holding several valves open/partially open.

......... The cam gear actually stripped and caused valve to piston contact..........

Although it sounds like they have an 'interference' type motor, so there could be damage.

Heck of a score! Even if it turns out to need a complete rebuild on the engine!

Mack73

Adventurer
How much does a full engine rebuild cost?

Oddly enough am all too similar 99 DII in white with cloth interior popped up locally with "overheating" problem for a couple more dollars than this one.

Hum... now you got me thinking about it

David Harris

Expedition Leader
A broken cam has also occurred to me. Apparently this has happened on a few as well. The stripped gear or a broken keyway seems to be a pattern too.

JeremyT101

Adventurer
Could it be something as simple as a non-engine related issue? My truck likes to drive along perfectly normally, then the engine quits, I drift to the side of the road, open the hood, no fuel pressure at rail, pull the foam/carpet up in the back, undo the plate ontop of the gas tank, pull the connectors to the fuel pump/guage, blow on them, put it back together, pressure at rail, starts, runs fine until another random time where it does it. lol. I figure I should get that figured out at some point.

All I'm saying is, and I'm sure you have, or this guy has, check all the easy stupid stuff first.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Could it be something as simple as a non-engine related issue? My truck likes to drive along perfectly normally, then the engine quits, I drift to the side of the road, open the hood, no fuel pressure at rail, pull the foam/carpet up in the back, undo the plate ontop of the gas tank, pull the connectors to the fuel pump/guage, blow on them, put it back together, pressure at rail, starts, runs fine until another random time where it does it. lol. I figure I should get that figured out at some point.

All I'm saying is, and I'm sure you have, or this guy has, check all the easy stupid stuff first.

I would go to that stuff if the engine had compression. But since it doesn't, it must be an internal problem.

On your fuel cut out, I've been there and done that on two of my Discos. Just order a new fuel pump harness and that problem will be solved.

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
Cool find. Sounds like you know your way around the engine, so this should be a great deal for you. Cant wait to hear what the issue(s) is (are). Definitely a nice looking truck.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Finally had a chance to tear into the engine today. I pulled the valve covers and turned the motor over by hand. None of the valves are moving, so the timing chain or cam must be broken. But that's not all. . . I then drained the oil in preparation for removing the pan, and there was quite a bit of coolant in it. So, the truck either had a leaking head gasket, front cover gasket, or intake gasket in addition to the broken chain. Could the two be connected some how?

I'm going to continue tearing it down, remove the heads and pressure test the block. I have one of the motorcars ltd. testing kits for this.

David

Last edited:

BirchHill

goat farmer
All the coolant in the oil probably compromised the oils ability to lubricate resulting in some kind of catastrophic failure.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
A couple of guys on other forums suggested that maybe the chain took out a coolant passage in the cover when it broke and dumped coolant into the pan. The coolant and oil were separate in the pan when I drained it, i. e. no chocolate milkshake situation. . .

Daryl

Adventurer
The coolant and oil were separate in the pan when I drained it, i. e. no chocolate milkshake situation. . .

That means nothing other than it sat long enough without running to separate. Milkshake is a colloid, just like salad dressing. Let it sit long enough and it ends up in layers again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333