Pickup truck guys... critique my setup...

cozmo2312

Observer
hey guys.. so i recently got a 2016 tundra and in the near future i want to add a RTT to the bed area.. i searched for a bit for a suitable rack to mount it to and my searches led me to the Tracone Utility rack which i got locally at a Home Depot for $299... considerably less than most other racks, and as advertised, able to support 800lbs... so should be good to go.

mounted it up to the truck the other day and it sat way too high... in my research, i kind of expected this and actually found someone who cut theirs down. right out of the box it sat maybe 8 inches above my roofline... adding a RTT to that and well... it'd be way up there.

so here's where some of my questions come in. I drove it at stock height for a day and man, did that thing bounce around a bit. The roads on my daily commute aren't the smoothest and well, it's a pickup truck, so you get the standard flexion of the bed over bumps. the one nearest the cab stayed pretty stable, but the one nearest the tailgate was bouncing all over the place.

so i cut her down... took 11.5 inches out if it (the most the width of the crossbars would allow) and it's sitting at a MUCH better height. drove it today and it's much more stable, but still a bit of bounce from the rearward bar.

so onto the questions... for those that have a similar setup, when you mount a RTT to the bars, does the tent itself "tie" the bars together in such a way that they act as one and the bouncing subsides? with the way the bed flexes, the bars basically move independently and thus, putting something that connects them together has me a bit worried that that force will then transfer down to my bed rails, possibly damaging them. how will this setup do with a RTT up there on mild off-roading? anyone have any experience with a similar setup?

thanks in advance

6Zrfgdz.jpg

lWMeIxI.jpg

ULgBI8t.jpg

PhWtzMw.jpg

F0Xk1cx.jpg

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Hmmm

So, I have no experience with that particular model, but in general, I spent a lot of years working with and around construction trucks with ladder racks. Almost all of them have integral steel frames that either tie the top together, or cap the bed rails, or both.

I'm not surprised at what you are experiencing. when I see something that attaches to both rails with c-clamps and doesn't tie the front and rear crossbars together with anything, I think "light duty".

I suspect the tent will help some, but you may want to think about bolting the tent to a subframe that bolts to those bars, and includes a big corner to corner "X" in there somewhere. I can only imagine that an angular ripple in a tent floor would be a bad thing. maybe I'm over thinking it, in which case the collective opinion of the Internet will slap me...

in the back of my mind... Just because you "can" hold 800 lb... Doesn't mean you "should" do that. There might also be consideration for whether you intend this to be full or part time on the truck too.

On edit: if you go to a lumberyard and buy some cheap 1x stock, you could clamp that front to rear and screw something side to side to simulate tying the crossbars and then drive around a few days and see if it all moves together or if anything tries to pull apart. A quick spray paint of the joints once attached should show if anything is moving with time and flex.

Last edited:

cozmo2312

Observer
Thanks for the reply. And yes, I totally agree about the "can" and "should" on the 800lbs... But I figure I'll never come close to that weight, so I'll have plenty of buffer.

I just didn't expect it to bounce around that much

patoz

Expedition Leader
By tieing the front and rear together as mentioned above, you are basically creating a 'box truss', so yes it will be considerably more stable. The racks are mounted on the sheetmetal bed rails with clamps, so what's happening now is the sheetmetal is flexing along with a certain amount of play in the clamps, due to the plastic rail cap material between the two as shown in picture #3. These uprights will never be rock solid on their own. By tying them all together, each one will work to counteract the movement of the others.

My only 'yeah, but what if' is, I believe I would not have cut the uprights quite so short, but made the top surface of the crossbars just a bit higher than the roof of the cab. I don't know what kind of RTT you plan on using up there, but 'what if' it extends forward of the bed? and also 'what if' you want to carry a kayak or canoe, or just some lumber up there...you can't now because the cab is in the way.

On a good note, that is a very nice looking set of racks! And no, I didn't say you have a nice rack! :D I don't believe I have ever seen anything like that in my local HD stores though.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Once you get the crossbars tied together, either with the RTT or some other method, here is something you might try.

Make up a steel cable (pink) with an eye on each end, and connect one end to the bolt at the top of the upright. Connect the other end to a turnbuckle (green) which is hooked to your tie down point.

ULgBI8t - 01.jpg

Once you get the RTT mounted, tighten the turnbuckle until all back to front movement stops. An even better method would be to replace the cable and turnbuckle with a solid rod that could be adjusted some way. This would stop all movement in both directions.

A third option would be to use the same cable configuration but longer, and connect the top front bolt to the rear tie down point, and connect the top rear bolt to the front tie down point. This would be pretty ugly and limit access between the RTT and the bed rails, but it should do the trick. Of course, you could always unhook the cables once you got to where you were going to get them out of the way.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
so yeah, it seems i need something that is tied together front to back... so back to the drawing board.

I'm not sure you need a completely white sheet on the drawing board. I would start with 2 pieces of unistrut lengthwise on the rack to tie the front and rear, then mount the tent to them. the best result would be welding the unistrut and some unistrut cross bars for the tent, but it could all be successfully bolted.

The model of tent and space between your crossbars will influence the final layout, but this shouldn't be some sort of impossible deal breaker.

drifter_r6

Observer
Pickup beds are designed to flex/twist a bit so you don't want a completely rigid structure either. Since the RTT will tie the cross bars together up top, what about running angle iron the full length of your bedrails and bolt (or weld) the ladder rack supports to the angle. Grab a few more clamps and clamp the middle sections of the angle. I can't tell but if you have stake pockets you can bolt the angle to the stake pockets backed with some large washers. No drilling into the bed and its still a removable setup.

Raul B

Explorer
Looks good... I'm currently using the leitner design active cargo system on my rig....

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Looks good... I'm currently using the leitner design active cargo system on my rig....

Whats your thoughts on it so far? It really want that system, but wasn't sure it'd fit with a Decked system. I see in your sig that you run a decked box as well. Any modification to make the two fit together?

Raul B

Explorer

Raul B

Explorer
just looked that up.. .looks like a nice system, but man is it spendy
Yah it's on thr high end of the price range but we'll worth it. It's the 3rd version I have used for my bed rtt setup and so far the best. I have use thr frontrunner system and a combo of the frontrunner rack and our own rails. The leitner design Acs system allows me to take more gear with me and is a lot lighter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater